Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Snapped Cam Belt - XC90 2015 new shape

Views : 6964

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 23:22   #11
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCC View Post
Yes the D5
D5 is a power rating, can be either 5-cylinder or VEA 4-cylinder, depending on year. Not sure when it changed.
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 09:12   #12
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
D5 is a power rating, can be either 5-cylinder or VEA 4-cylinder, depending on year. Not sure when it changed.
I didn’t think the the 5 cylinder Diesel engine was put into the SPA XC90 - thought the 2 litre 4 cylinder VEA engine was used and either called D4 or D5 depending on bhp output.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuffolkBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 10:34   #13
Dastardly Diesel

Looks like the savings made by not having this done at a dealer could turn out to be very expensive. Fingers crossed the fault is identified and you don't get stiffed for it.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 13:15   #14
LCC

Update:

Garage has confirmed that water pump was replaced with cam belt.

Volvo have sent me a diagnostics report which is a lot of garbled numbers. copy attached if anyone speaks Volvo

Ive arranged with the independent garage to have an independent DEKRA mechanic with them when they investigate the issue. Im happy to stomach the £199 to be certain if the issue is down to a poor cam belt replacement or unrelated third party issue with the engine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scan_2020_03_03_10_44_19_495.pdf (282.3 KB, 79 views)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LCC For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 13:32   #15
Whippy
Premier Member

Well, if it's not the pump or the tensioners it has to be the belt surely? Good luck with it and let us know the results.
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 13:49   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
One thing commonly overlooked is the water pump, these have been known to seize and snap the belt. Best practice is to change it at the same time.
That's Just hearsay I am afraid unless you can provide some evidence , It is unheard of with volvo water pumps ..
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 14:00   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCC View Post
Hi,

Looking for some advice on my 2015 Volvo XC90 D5 Inscription.

Its a new shape model with 104,000 miles on the clock.

The car was serviced at Volvo Warwick all through its warranty period up to 90,000miles

In late October at 96,000 it had a full service at the local independent volvo garage which included replacing the cam belt and all other belts and filters

On Saturday whilst travelling on the motorway the car entered limp mode and booted me onto the hard shoulder. It was recovered to the local volvo garage who have advised that the cam belt has snapped (£156 for the pleasure of telling me that!)

Ive spoken to the independent garage who replaced the cam belt and they have said to bring it back to them to check over as the parts should be under warranty "as long as nothing else has made the cam belt snap"

Obviously I'm looking into the face of a very expensive repair bill and wanted to arm myself with some info.

What other things could make the cam belt snap other than a faulty belt or poor installation?
The key factor here is did the non approved garage use genuine volvo parts and do they know how to correctly tension the belt?
In any case there can be no goodwill from volvo anymore ... you/or your garage have a potential £10,000 bill there .

The belt should have been changed at 90000* MILES did volvo warwick do it then if the service was after May 2019 ?

* = The cambelt change interval was changed from 144000 miles / 10 years

to 90000 miles / 10 years last May ... so was any service undertaken after that date with the car showing more than 90000 miles ?

In any case the latest garage that did the cambelt is most likely responsible . i would get an independent report done by the volvo garage to determine the exact nature of the failure , Belts dont just break on their own especially new ones .

regarding the water pump why did they change it? A reason is needed apart from making money , , It is not part of the service schedule and again was it a volvo one ?

Last edited by Clan; Mar 3rd, 2020 at 14:09.
Clan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clan For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 14:05   #18
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
That's Just hearsay I am afraid unless you can provide some evidence , It is unheard of with volvo water pumps ..
And yet, the garage still changed it. Oh well, perhaps they didn't know that.
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 14:10   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
And yet, the garage still changed it. Oh well, perhaps they didn't know that.
There is a lot they didnt know perhaps ! but we cannot speculate . proof of the actual cause is needed by those who do , the volvo garage , they cant just say oh the belt is broken for the £150 bill !
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 16:00   #20
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I would be under no doubt that a poorly fitted cam belt was the cause here. I also am under no doubt you will struggle to prove it (not impossible).

Spending £199 to have an Independant there is money well spent. If for any reason he is not present I would not let work or review begin.

Sounds like you are doing a spot on job so far!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post: