Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 2022 T6 Recharge EV range

Views : 1815

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2022, 15:50   #1
lawndom

Default XC60 2022 T6 Recharge EV range

Hi guys,

after a bit of advice if anyone can help. I've had a new 22 t6 recharge (old battery size) since the beginning of Jan.

I'm just curious on people's EV range when in pure or hybrid as I seem to be getting fairly low range currently.

This morning (and every morning tbh) my fully charged battery tells me I've got 21 miles or when I flip to pure mode 25 miles of range. However on today's 7 mile journey in Pure my 25 miles dropped to 10 miles remaining. So I've lost 15 miles of "range" to cover that 7 miles.

Is this normal? I understand range drops in winter so I'd expect a bit less, but reading just 21 (or 25 in pure) before going anywhere seems low. Then to lose so much range in normal driving, again doesn't seem right. Don't go on motorways so just steady 40mph and under driving.

I'm sure when I test drove a car prior to buying the t6 when fully charged at the dealers gave more than 21 miles of range.

So just curious on other peoples experiences.

Oh and I pre heat the car while it's plugged in before going anywhere, so can't see that being a factor.
lawndom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 09:17   #2
RandolphC

I have a T8 and also start with 21m in hybrid, the battery seems to also provide power to the ancillaries such as heater, ICE etc which reduces the range. Yesterday I completed a 40 mile trip each way in hybrid, outward mpg 80, homeward 32 giving an overall mpg of 56.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 09:22   #3
griffin447

I have the same car as you which I’ve had since October. There is a bug in the climate control on the android cars. If I don’t have climate control on I get an additional 8 miles of range. There is no way on this earth that the climate control should use that much power (especially as i pre condition before leaving). It’s another flaw unfortunately in the android system caused by insufficient testing by Volvo.
griffin447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 09:41   #4
Ian0803

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin447 View Post
I have the same car as you which I’ve had since October. There is a bug in the climate control on the android cars. If I don’t have climate control on I get an additional 8 miles of range. There is no way on this earth that the climate control should use that much power (especially as i pre condition before leaving). It’s another flaw unfortunately in the android system caused by insufficient testing by Volvo.
Are you sure it's a flaw?
I have an EV as second vehicle and when temps are sub 10 degC there is a significant drop in range. With the climate control on it shows an additional 10 -20 mile range if I turn it off, depending on start up or once the cars inside temp setting is reached.
So I would say yes, the climate control can easily reduce the range by the number you quote.
Ian0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 14:47   #5
griffin447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian0803 View Post
Are you sure it's a flaw?
I have an EV as second vehicle and when temps are sub 10 degC there is a significant drop in range. With the climate control on it shows an additional 10 -20 mile range if I turn it off, depending on start up or once the cars inside temp setting is reached.
So I would say yes, the climate control can easily reduce the range by the number you quote.
When you’re pre conditioning yes. The car is already at temperature before you set off so then climate control should be rarely doing anything otherwise what would be the point of pre conditioning? Dealer already acknowledges there is a problem and shouldn’t be doing that. Report sent off to Volvo to investigate. I barely get 13 miles in pure (from the original range of 25 miles). At just over half what the car says it should be doing that is completely unacceptable. We are forgetting we are paying a circa £8000 premium for the recharge models and the whole purpose of this is better range and fuel consumption. If we aren’t even getting that - what’s the point of PHEV?
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 14:49   #6
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
When you’re pre conditioning yes. The car is already at temperature before you set off so then climate control should be rarely doing anything otherwise what would be the point of pre conditioning? Dealer already acknowledges there is a problem and shouldn’t be doing that. Report sent off to Volvo to investigate. I barely get 13 miles in pure (from the original range of 25 miles). At just over half what the car says it should be doing that is completely unacceptable. We are forgetting we are paying a circa £8000 premium for the recharge models and the whole purpose of this is better range and fuel consumption. If we aren’t even getting that - what’s the point of PHEV?
Is your range actually reduced, or is it just that your car thinks the range is reduced?
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 15:26   #7
Ian0803

Quote:
I assume you are plugged in when preconditioning?
I can only speak from my experience of driving a full EV to date. If the car interior is at set temp or preconditioned, the software always shows that the range can be increased by at least 7-12 miles. The climate control is still drawing power to maintain the cabin temp and this heater element is a big drain on the battery. More so than heated seats and heated steering wheel with climate switched off..
I can also say that this loss of predicted miles is a lot less during the warmer months and I was also surprised when suddenly my range plummeted as winter hit and climate control moved from cooling to heating.
Not saying your car does not have a fault, just sharing my experience with a full EV and under most conditions the published electric range(or sometimes predicted) is pie in the sky.
Ian0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 15:36   #8
griffin447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Is your range actually reduced, or is it just that your car thinks the range is reduced?
Yes it’s actually reduced as in by the time I’m home I have no battery left and I flip to ICE.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 15:39   #9
griffin447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian0803 View Post
I assume you are plugged in when preconditioning?
I can only speak from my experience of driving a full EV to date. If the car interior is at set temp or preconditioned, the software always shows that the range can be increased by at least 7-12 miles. The climate control is still drawing power to maintain the cabin temp and this heater element is a big drain on the battery. More so than heated seats and heated steering wheel with climate switched off..
I can also say that this loss of predicted miles is a lot less during the warmer months and I was also surprised when suddenly my range plummeted as winter hit and climate control moved from cooling to heating.
Not saying your car does not have a fault, just sharing my experience with a full EV and under most conditions the published electric range(or sometimes predicted) is pie in the sky.
Yep plugged in and I don’t know of any manufacturer (other than Volvo) that quotes a range on marketing materials and that in the real world you get half of that figure. WLTP is supposed to be as close to real world as possible (within reason) for accurate comparison. I know the Audi equivalent to this vehicle loses around 5 miles of range in winter vs summer. This car loses 3x that.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 18:02   #10
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

I am sure I read it was a 3kw heater. So in rough numbers, if it has a 9kw usable battery which takes you 27 miles this is 3 miles per kw driving whilst being cold. Or you can heat the cabin for 3 hours and go nowhere. Or any combination of miles and warmth inbetween.

So a 1 hour journey keeping warm (assuming maximum use at 3kw) can only be 18 miles. Or a 2 hour warm journey can only be 9 miles.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post: