Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ongoing CEM nightmare - HELP

Views : 455

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2024, 22:09   #1
joellillencamp

Default Ongoing CEM nightmare - HELP

I have a 2010 XC90 - 3.2 L6 CEM PN 31394157 - the one on drivers' side.

Car died. After having battery replaced - AAA - still wouldn't start. Had it towed. New starter. Took it home. Wouldn't start next morning. Had it towed back to shop. They said they cleaned some 'contacts'. Took it home again. Started for two days. Then not. Immobilizer code. Low bulb problem. Made appointment with Volvo dealer. They replaced keys and antenna ring. Started for two weeks then back to intermittent no start problem. Found this Forum. Saw where some folks were using replacement terminals to alleviate problems. Looked easy enough. According to Clan and IanG this was relatively simple. And would have been had I had the same CEM as in their vehicles. Not. Are there any repair possibilities with this CEM. Don't know which pins have to do with Coms signal (CAN network). Can I replace female terminals for Com lines? Or do I have to send unit out. Can't afford dealer anymore. I'm at a loss. I have to have car for work. Help.

Last edited by joellillencamp; Jan 17th, 2024 at 22:12.
joellillencamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 00:00   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joellillencamp View Post
I have a 2010 XC90 - 3.2 L6 CEM PN 31394157 - the one on drivers' side.

Car died. After having battery replaced - AAA - still wouldn't start. Had it towed. New starter. Took it home. Wouldn't start next morning. Had it towed back to shop. They said they cleaned some 'contacts'. Took it home again. Started for two days. Then not. Immobilizer code. Low bulb problem. Made appointment with Volvo dealer. They replaced keys and antenna ring. Started for two weeks then back to intermittent no start problem. Found this Forum. Saw where some folks were using replacement terminals to alleviate problems. Looked easy enough. According to Clan and IanG this was relatively simple. And would have been had I had the same CEM as in their vehicles. Not. Are there any repair possibilities with this CEM. Don't know which pins have to do with Coms signal (CAN network). Can I replace female terminals for Com lines? Or do I have to send unit out. Can't afford dealer anymore. I'm at a loss. I have to have car for work. Help.
There was a problem with these with water getting in the top of the CEM, volvo did a repair Kit consisting of the 2 x Multipin connectors with about 6 inches of wiring ready to join up to your cut off connectors, also included is an improved waterproofing kit top cover box to go where the top of the CEM goes through the top panel . Any dealers should have the details. also check the CEM top plug contacts for corrosion, I never found any when I did the repair.
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 00:48   #3
joellillencamp

I'm glad we finally 'met'. I've seen your input all over this forum. You'll please excuse my over asking question. It's my dyslexia. You're saying that Volvo makes Multipin connectors for the CEM in my Volvo. The L shaped black one on drivers side. Not the flat white CEM on the passenger side. Are replacements color coded? Or do I just make splice connections based on position in old and new multi pin modules. Do you know which 2 connectors this involves? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8UozG9qLvM This video shows the CEM I'm dealing with.

Were or are you a mechanic? You seem to definitely know your stuff. I wish I had other CEM. Just six repair terminals. All from inside car. Oh well. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 14:28   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joellillencamp View Post
I'm glad we finally 'met'. I've seen your input all over this forum. You'll please excuse my over asking question. It's my dyslexia. You're saying that Volvo makes Multipin connectors for the CEM in my Volvo. The L shaped black one on drivers side. Not the flat white CEM on the passenger side. Are replacements color coded? Or do I just make splice connections based on position in old and new multi pin modules. Do you know which 2 connectors this involves? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8UozG9qLvM This video shows the CEM I'm dealing with.

Were or are you a mechanic? You seem to definitely know your stuff. I wish I had other CEM. Just six repair terminals. All from inside car. Oh well. Thanks in advance.
Yes 47 years Volvo experience..

The two connectors are the top grey ones first shown in the video .
I just realised you are not in UK, So USA being less wet than UK might not have had a problem with water ingress so no service bulletin.. They come with all grey wires so you have to do a good join to the original coloured wires. For details you need the help of your volvo dealer who may have a service bulletin describing the repair and parts needed.This bulletin was issued about 11 years ago. The parts include an improved top cover and housing around the top as well as the two connectors complete with terminals and short wires fitted .. Good Luck !
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 14:47   #5
joellillencamp

Thank you so much. Good luck will be needed.
Old Jan 20th, 2024, 19:44   #6
joellillencamp

No joy my side of the pond. No service bulletin(s), no repair terminals. I'm starting to think about a CEM redo from Xemodex. But you told me that for most of the repairs you did no evidence of water/corrosion damage and repair pigtail substitution worked. So more a connection cable problem than a CEM issue. If I can find all the HS CAN connections on CEM I could swap one for one. If I remove, clean and reinsert both top connections and no evident corrosion and it works better for a while maybe that would be an indicator of cable connector end issues rather than CEM issues - don't know. The intermittent immobilizer **** makes for a big pain in the ass as to what to do. If this car doesn't work I don't eat- no exaggeration. I'm your age and I have to work. Sorry to bitch. Cheers.
Old Jan 20th, 2024, 20:02   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

there has also been some cases where xc90 suffering from over heating on the cem some have remedied this problem by instaling small fans on the cem the xemodex site has info on this .

Last edited by Simmy; Jan 20th, 2024 at 20:49.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 00:34   #8
Parknest

I had CEM problems where after 2 and a half hours, I'd get electrical failures. My DEM was also dead so I had to fix that problem first and I was still having CEM problems so I ended up getting the CEM repaired and it has been fine ever since. I even towed a caravan several hundred miles without any problems - twice!

A CEM repair is on the cards for the OP. Xemodex are the guys for North America. There is an American YouTuber (Elliott Alvis) who had some of his modules on his V70R replaced/repaired by Xemodex at considerable cost. I'm sure it was still cheaper than going to the dealer.
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB)
1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)
Parknest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parknest For This Useful Post: