Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Failed compression test and misfire

Views : 4066

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 09:36   #11
amorlv70

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
You have still not said what the engine is
If the engine is a type that needs a oiling system then that can be the problem
A failed injector, poor tune, failed sensor and a number of other things could have caused it

Spark plugs the Volvo 3 prong plugs are not the best choice, I convert to NGK single prong plugs
Sorry, I did in the below message but it was probably lost in my nonsense..

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorlv70 View Post

The car is a 2004 pre-facelift (2004 my) v70 with the 2.4 170 B5244S 2435cc.

Thanks very much for your reply, much appreciated.
I will get a set of NGK plugs when I have sorted these issues out. Thanks
amorlv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 21:27   #12
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Should not need the oiling system on that so that suggests something else has caused the problem
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 23:37   #13
amorlv70

Quote:
Should not need the oiling system on that so that suggests something else has caused the problem
OK, thanks very much Classic
I didn't think it did..
I'll get the head off when there is time to see what is going on.
Old Mar 16th, 2023, 20:08   #14
dikidera

Very sad I was not here when the thread was made. If the car is a factory CNG or LPG I would also suspect the head gasket.

And if so, it is very likely the block is warped too. I've heard horror stories of our S,S2,SG and SG2 engines. Especially CNG and LPG. Tomorrow after cleaning my head gasket material as well as carbon ring from the block I will test for warpage with a Straight Edge, flat 8mm thick with an accuracy of 12 micrometers.

I suspect it will be.
dikidera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 18:33   #15
amorlv70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikidera View Post
Very sad I was not here when the thread was made. If the car is a factory CNG or LPG I would also suspect the head gasket.

And if so, it is very likely the block is warped too. I've heard horror stories of our S,S2,SG and SG2 engines. Especially CNG and LPG. Tomorrow after cleaning my head gasket material as well as carbon ring from the block I will test for warpage with a Straight Edge, flat 8mm thick with an accuracy of 12 micrometers.

I suspect it will be.
The car is not factory LPG, it's an aftermarket conversion - when I remove the head (next week) I will also check for warpage, but there are no signs of headgasket failure other than the loss of compression, leading me to believe it's a valve issue.. I'll update when I have the engine apart
Hope yours went ok
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 02:20   #16
dikidera

Very nice if it's simply a valve. I however measured 0.05mm or 0.002 inch of warping at least in several places of my block. I suspect it could be as high as 0.003 in some.

Unfortunately there is no information if this is within tolerance or not. Some have said it should be lower than this, others have said up to 0.08mm is fine and the head gasket will help seal this.

Basically it's a trial and error type of thing. Some will not risk it and machine the block, I plan to test it as-is.

What I find odd is that some people say Volvo blocks are tough to warp. In my opinion, not so. It's aluminum, it's a malleable metal. I agree with some that if the head is warped, so is the block.

Last edited by dikidera; Mar 24th, 2023 at 02:25.
Old Apr 4th, 2023, 11:11   #17
amorlv70

Head is off and at engine shop. Very dark oil deposits on and around camshaft lobes in the cylinders that lost compression. Gets progressively worse from cyl1-5.
Old Apr 5th, 2023, 22:45   #18
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Any visable valve or gasket damage?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2023, 11:03   #19
dikidera

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorlv70 View Post
Head is off and at engine shop. Very dark oil deposits on and around camshaft lobes in the cylinders that lost compression. Gets progressively worse from cyl1-5.
I've heard...and this is only something I've heard from mechanics. Is that the black deposits are not problematic. Whether this is because it's true or they don't know, that's a different story.

Point being, it may not be such an issue. Let them measure the clearances between the lobes and lifters, if they are within spec I would imagine there should be no issue.
Old Apr 10th, 2023, 11:44   #20
amorlv70

Quote:
Any visable valve or gasket damage?
Gasket was absolutely fine, valves got progressively more brown towards cyl5, and there was dark deposit on the cam lobes of the cylinders that lost compression as well as on the underside of the valve cover. No visible valve recession to the eye, and my engine seems to have solid tappets, not hydraulic as most seem to suggest. I have a theory that I did not replace the vapour filter soon enough and it has got dirty and starved the latter cylinders of gas and leaned out, not sure if this is possible, but would make sense if injector 1 recieves the gas first.

Edit: ClassicSwede, which NGK plugs would you recommend I get? They seem to do multiple types and GSF has different plugs as well for LPG/CNG. I was just after basic standard ones that I will replace every 10k or something.

Cyl1
1.jpg

Cyl2
2.jpg

Cyl3
3.jpg

Cyl4
4.jpg

Cyl5
5.jpg

Last edited by amorlv70; Apr 10th, 2023 at 14:11.