Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

heated windscreen

Views : 1153

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2021, 15:36   #1
oldgreybloke
Master Member

Default heated windscreen

Silly question time. I have just noticed, on my recently acquired 2015 d5 se lux that there are fine wires in the windscreen indicating that it is heated.....but it appears not to be as I only get the blown demister symbol in the screen display and increased fan speed. The heated screen symbol is greyed out.

Is it a question of fitting a module somewhere to provide the heated screen function? Also any ideas on cost If feasible?
Semper in excretia sumus, solim profundum variat
oldgreybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 16:22   #2
Deck1ng
Master Member

The same subject came up not too long ago and if I remember correctly, it comes on automatically when outside temp dropped below a certain amount. I belief that was -4 ish, or could have been -7. But I think you’ll have to wait until it’s a bit colder to confirm. I’ll see if I can trace the thread.
I’m starting to think now I’m talking a load of bo#%^*ks. Sorry. Can’t find what I was looking for but will continue the search

Last edited by Deck1ng; Jun 9th, 2021 at 16:59.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 17:51   #3
nozmeister

Pretty certain it comes on when the button is pressed and not to do with external temperature. If i turn my one on it will give a “heat haze” effect once it is up to temperature at any time of the year.

Volvo XC60 SE LUX NAV D4 VEA GT MY16 - Osmium Grey, Family Pack, Winter Pack, Front Parking Sensors & Tempa Spare Wheel

Gone but not forgotten: 2006-2015 Volvo V50 2.0D SE MY06 - 46.7 MPG
nozmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 19:18   #4
Adrian B

I started a thread about this. Have a look if you wish. If all works ok, the button above the AC button on the left side of the center switch panel should turn it on. Unless it's Really cold and Ice on windscreen it's hard to detect it's efficiency.
Adrian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 22:12   #5
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgreybloke View Post
Silly question time. I have just noticed, on my recently acquired 2015 d5 se lux that there are fine wires in the windscreen indicating that it is heated.....but it appears not to be as I only get the blown demister symbol in the screen display and increased fan speed. The heated screen symbol is greyed out.

Is it a question of fitting a module somewhere to provide the heated screen function? Also any ideas on cost If feasible?
The electrical systems on Volvos of around 2015 are a bit strange.

My car has a heated steering wheel, which worked.
I selected it should not come on automatically.
It came on regardless, but only the indicating light, not the heating.
The fuse for the heated wheel is not fitted ! Putting one in does not make the heating work!

The fusebox schematics in the manual are wrong, maybe the fuse locations are wrong as well ?
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 07:47   #6
oldgreybloke
Master Member

Thankyou all. One of Volvos mysterious electrical systems conundrums perhaps.
Semper in excretia sumus, solim profundum variat
oldgreybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 11:28   #7
Stevepvolvo

Hi
I have a 2015 R-Design XC60 with heated screen that I know works as have used over the past few winters and the question placed here piqued my curiosity. So this morning I went to the car and tried the heated screen.
When I press the front screen demist button on the centre console, immediately the pop up in the main screen shows the heated screen icon and then the blower icon. The heated screen is shown as white and the blower as grey until I press the demist button again and then the windscreen blower icon turns to white (and the fans kick in) - both front screen demist icons (electric demist/blower demist) then show in white in the temp/heated seats status bar at the bottom of the sensus screen
Stevepvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 08:49   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Have had 2 XC60 (2015 & 2017MY) and V40 (2013MY) with heated screen and on all of them it was turned on with the demist button - first press heated screen, second press heated screen and fans. Seemed to work regardless of outside temperature.

On the XC60's at least there was an auto option in the car menu but i thought that was for the rear screen & mirrors only?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 14:56   #9
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Have had 2 XC60 (2015 & 2017MY) and V40 (2013MY) with heated screen and on all of them it was turned on with the demist button - first press heated screen, second press heated screen and fans. Seemed to work regardless of outside temperature.

On the XC60's at least there was an auto option in the car menu but i thought that was for the rear screen & mirrors only?
Exactly the same on a V40XC and a V60XC