Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto start stop function

Views : 2628

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2021, 22:03   #1
AlexXC40

Exclamation Auto start stop function

Just bought a new XC40 B4 awd and the auto start stop disable button has been removed. The garage didn’t know anything about it and there was no information from Volvo to state this. They have since updated their on-line manual, after I had received the car. So if you don’t want to have this function constantly active, the only choice is not to buy one. Disappointing.
AlexXC40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 21:56   #2
exmpa

Can you not still disable the Start/Stop function in the function view on the centre display?

Exmpa
exmpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 12:57   #3
jamei305

I didn't believe this so I checked the manuals and AlexXC40 is correct.
jamei305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 13:00   #4
anotherv60
Master Member

Drive in Dynamic mode, that disables stop/start.
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 14:03   #5
exmpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamei305 View Post
I didn't believe this so I checked the manuals and AlexXC40 is correct.
AlexXC40 is correct insofar as the removal of the centre console switch is concerned, but the manual still tells you how to switch stop/start off from the centre display.

The removal of the switch is wholly logical as it’s sole function was probably to send a signal to the processor.

Exmpa
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 15:56   #6
e123

What about handbrake on, foot off the brake?
e123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 22:43   #7
AlexXC40

The online manual was recently updated to show the removal of the button from the centre console, but not until after I received the car. Dynamic mode does help the situation but not the fuel consumption. Doesn’t really matter about hand brake being on or off as the car decides itself upon engine power draw more than anything else, like air con etc.
Sorry exmpa, not sure what you mean by why this removal is wholly logical?
You cannot switch this function off from the centre console anymore. How many other XC40 versions this applies to I do not know.
It all depends on what type of driving you do whether or not this is an issue for you. Living in the city it does help the co2 emmissions, which is why it’s there, but I live in a rural location. Sitting at a busy junction or at a roundabout with the engine off doesn’t fill you with confidence for entry into fast moving traffic. One day the car will not start again, that’s my worry.
AlexXC40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 19:09   #8
exmpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXC40 View Post
Sorry exmpa, not sure what you mean by why this removal is wholly logical?
Alex I see it as an application of technology. I was trained to fly in the 1960s, the technology was pretty much WW2 and even aircraft with fairly simple systems had separate switches and gauges for everything. The result was a crowded ergonomic slum. By the time I retired the flight deck of even quite complex aircraft looked decidedly sparse. There were still buttons and switches but in the main their function was to reconfigure systems after a malfunction. If they were used routinely it was usually a case of switch on before start then leave them alone.

Now, it has effectively been decided for us by our elders and betters that the default setting for Stop/Start is On. If we are perverse enough to want to disable the system it is still positive do so by entering the command via the centre screen. We are permitted to do this “pre-flight” . So, why is it necessary to access control of the system “in flight”? It saves money to delete a physical switch that only signals a processor anyway, it doesn’t signal the ECU directly.

I’m probably conditioned by my background as I went through enormous change in my working life. We have really only started down this path in cars in the last 10 years. A prime example is the way an Airbus cons you into thinking it’s a conventional aircraft when you go into the landing flare.

You mention the car failing to start, I would suggest the incidence of this is low and non- critical. Electronic parking brakes have been known to fail “On” but manufacturers haven’t left a mechanical handle in place as an option.

I’m afraid that like it or not it’s “Progress “

Exmpa
Old Aug 19th, 2021, 09:27   #9
jamei305

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmpa View Post
AlexXC40 is correct insofar as the removal of the centre console switch is concerned, but the manual still tells you how to switch stop/start off from the centre display.

The removal of the switch is wholly logical as it’s sole function was probably to send a signal to the processor.

Exmpa
You must be reading the wrong manual. They have removed the option to turn it off from the centre display. There never was a physical switch to my knowledge.
jamei305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2021, 10:38   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmpa View Post
Alex I see it as an application of technology. I was trained to fly in the 1960s, the technology was pretty much WW2 and even aircraft with fairly simple systems had separate switches and gauges for everything. The result was a crowded ergonomic slum. By the time I retired the flight deck of even quite complex aircraft looked decidedly sparse. There were still buttons and switches but in the main their function was to reconfigure systems after a malfunction. If they were used routinely it was usually a case of switch on before start then leave them alone.

Now, it has effectively been decided for us by our elders and betters that the default setting for Stop/Start is On. If we are perverse enough to want to disable the system it is still positive do so by entering the command via the centre screen. We are permitted to do this “pre-flight” . So, why is it necessary to access control of the system “in flight”? It saves money to delete a physical switch that only signals a processor anyway, it doesn’t signal the ECU directly.

I’m probably conditioned by my background as I went through enormous change in my working life. We have really only started down this path in cars in the last 10 years. A prime example is the way an Airbus cons you into thinking it’s a conventional aircraft when you go into the landing flare.

You mention the car failing to start, I would suggest the incidence of this is low and non- critical. Electronic parking brakes have been known to fail “On” but manufacturers haven’t left a mechanical handle in place as an option.

I’m afraid that like it or not it’s “Progress “

Exmpa
The removal of stop/start off is most likely due to the Government emission tests which keep changing .. if they had put that function in on that model year you would have been in the higher tax band no doubt .

That is why the early stop start cars never had an OFF button to keep the car within the tax band, it was that marginal . some of the earlier cars with an OFF provision were probably well within the emission limits and had room to spare .