Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 (new shape) T5 suspension mods

Views : 830

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 30th, 2006, 15:05   #1
david_stew

Default V70 (new shape) T5 suspension mods

Hi,

Not been logged on for nearly a year (don't know why, usual forum maladies). I was a member with a 'classic' shape V70 T5 that got stolen. I replaced it with a 2002 V70 T5 which I am very happy with.

However, I think that the suspension is now due for replacement (car's just about to clock 110k). I had it serviced at Chip Tuning at Bromsgrove last year and I was very happy with them - they ran a similar age and spec T5 as mine that had Monroe dampers and a chip upgrade fitted.

I want to tighten the car up but not destroy the ride quality. My thoughts are:

1. Koni adjustables?
2. Drop the rear spring height to get the car to be at least level
3. Replace any 'squashy' standard bushes in the suspension with Powerflex
4. Stiffen the strut brace up

Any thoughts? As I say, I don't want a go-kart (I have had too many of those over the years and find rock hard riding cars both a pain and crap on bumpy roads). Is it possible to retain a compliant ride and get the thing a bit tauter feeling?
Old May 30th, 2006, 15:39   #2
daddyo350

Looking at this at the min myself interested in what you find, doesn't seem to be that much out there to choose from.
Old May 30th, 2006, 16:07   #3
david_stew

This looks interesting:
http://www.volvotuninguk.com (look under suspension as the direct link doesn't want to work).

If you could try a demonstrator out, I'd have a go. I don't want to invest hundreds of pounds in parts and labour to find that I've created another V70R on 'Sports Damping' setting!
Old May 30th, 2006, 17:39   #4
daddyo350

Have you fitted a strut brace?

Do you know what the standard cross brace is for, I understand it is cross linked top suspension member rather than a strut brace.
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:27   #5
david_stew

No, not yet. Mine is standard apart from an ITG air filter...

I wondered why that 'brace' under the bonnet moves around so much!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 19:31   #6
Aeroresh

Wouldnt recommend just dropping the rear as the front and rear spring rates will be mismatched and cause handling issues. Eibach springs seem to make the car sit right (gets rid of the tail up in the air look without making the ride harsh).

Id also consider Monroe Reflex dampers or Koni FSDs for a more sporting handling without compromising ride quality.

I remember a thread over on Swedespeed regarding replacing the side mouting bushes on the top brace which made it into a proper strut brace. However, if you just change the springs and shocks you'll find handling more than transformed. Any worn bushes will be flagged when you have the suspension work done.
Aeroresh is offline   Reply With Quote