Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Pump Timing D 5252 Engine.

Views : 818

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2018, 13:44   #1
Griffon Rolls

Default Fuel Pump Timing D 5252 Engine.

Hi I am new to the forum and in desperate need of help and guidance as I am totally out of my depth at the moment. The vehicle is a 1999 Volvo V70 2.5D AUTO. Engine Designation D 5252 T. Fuel System 15.8 The engine just cut out without warning no misfiring no nasty noises as if I had run it out of fuel or at least that was what the wife said I had done but alas she was wrong I had not run it out of fuel it had achieved that all on its own. Two days later with the vehicle recovered back home the investigation of the problem started. I have the Haynes V70 manual and was aware that it did not cover the Audi engine but assumed that all other detail would be the same or very similar. Wrong assumption is the mother of all well I am sure you know. So no fuse box in the back and no fuel pump in the tank. Then I turned my attention to the injection pump and the pump drive. Once I had the cowl removed the problem was clear. The drive belt was still intact but had no tension on it as the Tensioner Pulley had broken up. New Tensioner and Belt purchased I had wrongly yet again it would seem assumed that when cleaned up I would find timing marks on the sprockets to set the pump timing up but I can’t find any such marks. Now I have trawled around the internet and it would appear some special tooling is required. So now for the questions. What special tools etc do I need to set the timing up and a possible supplier? Is there a manual available that details the procedure and a supplier of same? Any thought as to what caused the Tensioner to break up as it looks to me to be a case of metal fatigue or simply old age but is there another underlining problem? If I have missed anything out please enlighten me.
Griffon Rolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 15:53   #2
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Ok, pay attention, I shall say this only once....

Firstly you need to find TDC, there is a mark on the flywheel which will line up to an arrow in the inspection hole at the bottom of the bell housing. Next, loosen the 22mm bolt on the camshaft which allows the cam pulley to then spin. (Check TDC hasn't moved)

Now on the pump body you will see a line at around 10 o'clock looking at it from the passenger wing. You will also find a small nic in the back of the pulley, these are the pump timing marks. On the side of the pump you will see a 10mm bolt with a thick washer, loosen the bolt, remove the washer (U shaped, you only need to slacken the bolt). Now, with the 2 marks lined up on the pump, bring the pump anti clockwise by 1 tooth and screw in the 10mm bolt you removed the washer from, this locks the pump in place. Check TDC again, adjust the tensioners and tighten the cam pulley bolt. Now loosen the 10mm bolt and slide the washer back in, tighten. At this the car should now start and run well enough to get it to someone to set it dynamically.

On a side note, if the tensioner for the pump belt collapsed I would recommend you replace the main belt kit and do it before getting it dynamically timed as you need to remove the pump belt to change the main belt

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 16:07   #3
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
Ok, pay attention, I shall say this only once....
...Again...

If you haven't grasped what NI_Volvo_Nut is saying then have a read through this thread and the threads within (post#8).

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 16:13   #4
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
...Again...

If you haven't grasped what NI_Volvo_Nut is saying then have a read through this thread and the threads within (post#8).
I really should keep a copy of this somewhere lol

On a related note, I did manage to set one up a couple of weeks ago using a tipex pen and a 10mm spanner, the guy who owns the car says its never been so easy to start and was getting 56mpg.

Old Feb 7th, 2018, 16:22   #5
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
On a related note, I did manage to set one up a couple of weeks ago using a tipex pen and a 10mm spanner, the guy who owns the car says its never been so easy to start and was getting 56mpg.
You're better than you know, Andy!

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 23:25   #6
Griffon Rolls

All Allo NI _Volvo _Nut, Apologies for not replying sooner to your very prompt reply to my post for help. Unfortunately as yet I have not had the opportunity to put your advice into action as the vehicle is parked in the road outside my home and the weather has not been cooperating. That is either ****ing with rain snowing or throwing hail stones at me. Besides which from the procedure you describe two people will be required. Now my wife a willing and brilliant assistant though she is might be just a little reluctant to be freezing cold a very wet watching for a mark on the flywheel come round and line up with an arrow in the inspection hole at the bottom of the bell housing. Hopefully the weekend weather will be a little kinder and Dougal the Volvo’s name ( Long story how it got that name short version it spun twice whilst towing on the M 25. Not me driving I hasten to add) will once and again make vroom vroom sound. So thank you very much for your help Mon’Ami.
Griffon Rolls is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Griffon Rolls For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 12:58   #7
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

If you look at the crank pulley, you will see a block to one side of the recess where the main bolt goes through the centre, with this block at roughly the 8 o'clock position the mark on the flywheel won't be far away at that. you can flick the flywheel round using a flat head screwdriver of by raising one wheel off the ground (passenger side - support vehicle on axle stands) put the car in 5th gear and turn the engine over using the wheel.

OR

If you remove the pulley from the rear of the cam you will see a cut through the cam slightly off centre, with this lined up to the edge of the cylinder head the engine will be near TDC and the mark should be visible on the bellhousing.