Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High (circa 1500 rpm) idle, D5 185.

Views : 8075

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2015, 17:56   #11
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppj View Post
Could be a dodgy coolant temp sensor, if the sensor has failed in such a way that the engine ECU thinks the engine is too hot it can cause all sorts of funny things to happen like fans coming on, unusual fueling causing high idle, the dash sensor will be different to the engine sensor so it wont look like a hot condition to the driver, worth plugging it into VIDA and check what temp the ecu thinks the engine is at. Does the glow plug lamp come on when engine is cold? If not then it may think the engine is too hot.
You can rule this out for certain, the high idling only occurs after hard braking with abs activation , also my coolant sensor was ok during these instances

Lately the high idle doesnt always come up with hard braking
5cilinder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 11:46   #12
kevmac1967

Hi ive got the exact same problemwith 1500 idle on my s60 d5 185 geartronic also can be apain to start .. showing loads of problem codes as they usully do x what is the most likely problem its driving me nuts x
kevmac1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2017, 23:50   #13
skanna

Was this ever resolved. I am having the exact same problem with my 2010 XC90 D5. Started to idle at 1500 all the time. Idle speed reduces to about 800 when brake is pressed hard. I have the VIDA software and after connecting it up, got the codes ECM 9520 Accelerator pedal sensor, signal missing. I looked up the possible causes. The first thing to do was take off the contact from the AP position sensor. The contacts were cleaned with electrical contact cleaner and then reassembled. No change, the car still idles at 1500rpm. Then started the car with the pedal disconnected. The car continued to idle at 1500 even without the pedal connected and same fault was read. The AC broke down over XMAS, the AC compressor was shot, and the cooling fan come on straight away even if its freezing outside.I dont know if this has a bearing on the fault. I bought a second hand sensor of Ebay but the problem is exactly the same. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
skanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2017, 00:50   #14
5cilinder
Premier Member

I had a different gas pedal (because old one was a bit jerky) but i still get the high idle once in a while after abs activation
5cilinder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 07:51   #15
vanags

Read VIDA faults. For me was the same symptoms , but not often, 1x/month and so drive one year and after Vida started to show EGR valve faults, throttle pedal faults and throttle positions sensor faults. Changed EGR valve, not Volvo original, but Pierburger, they are the same. EGR valve is from two parts, from Pierburger can order seperately. If Electronical part broke and then you can not start engine at all.
Symptoms can also related to electronic trottle. They can stuck at position and need to change to new.
Changed them all at 200 000km. Lot of plastic inside for moving and rotatig parts.
But all started with 1500rpm at idle, but not all the time. Sometimes. Needed to cool engine and after new start 1500rpm was gone till next time.
vanags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vanags For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2017, 19:26   #16
kevmac1967

Default Hi idle on d5 185

I have this exact problem has anybody sussed this problem yet x
kevmac1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 20:43   #17
paul C70D5

Hello Everyone,

I too have been experiencing these same issues. After quite a bit of researching I managed to get in contact with Lance who is the person that actually started this particular thread. I had a good chat with Lance (who is a really nice chap) and he seems to remember that the issue was tracked down to a dirty fuse. Apparently there is fuse box under the bonnet (at the right hand side by the air filter housing). These particular fuses are prone to becoming tarnished, especially when your D5 gets a bit older. This fuse box houses a total of 12 different fuses and it is worth taking them all out (one at a time) and cleaning them. The actual fuse that causes the problem is fuse number 11 and is situated 2nd up on the right hand side (it should be labelled as "Throttle Position Sensor / Air Conditioning". But has said, you may as well take them out one-by-one and clean them all. When cleaning the fuses only use something that is not too abrasive, do not use sand paper or anything that will scratch them, remember that all you are doing is removing the tarnish, so something like Duraglit will be good. I am going to give this ago over this weekend (weather permitting) and I will post back on my findings.

I would like to thank Lance for pointing me in the right direction.
paul C70D5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paul C70D5 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 21:10   #18
Lancee
Premier Member

Sorry everyone (including Paul), I should have posted my earlier resolution to this, a pet hate of mine when other members fail to do so. I will use the excuse that I have not been on the forum for quite some time !

Bear in mind my car is a 05 185 D5 Diesel manual.

Try a search for " Accelerator pedal replaced but cannot clear code", on this forum, this should show the reply to another member where in his case the fuse had completely blown, I was very pleased to see that it seems to have worked for him. A somewhat different fault but all tied in with the same circuit and components.

My fuse was simply dirty which was causing an intermittent voltage drop in the throttle pedal supply causing the idle etc issues. This was almost three years ago and after cleaning touch wood the fault has never reappeared.

Hope this helps some of you.

Regards to all, Lance.

Last edited by Lancee; Mar 3rd, 2017 at 21:30.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 08:11   #19
HarjB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
Sorry everyone (including Paul), I should have posted my earlier resolution to this, a pet hate of mine when other members fail to do so. I will use the excuse that I have not been on the forum for quite some time !

Bear in mind my car is a 05 185 D5 Diesel manual.

Try a search for " Accelerator pedal replaced but cannot clear code", on this forum, this should show the reply to another member where in his case the fuse had completely blown, I was very pleased to see that it seems to have worked for him. A somewhat different fault but all tied in with the same circuit and components.

My fuse was simply dirty which was causing an intermittent voltage drop in the throttle pedal supply causing the idle etc issues. This was almost three years ago and after cleaning touch wood the fault has never reappeared.

Hope this helps some of you.

Regards to all, Lance.
Hi Lancee, do you remember which fuse is was having the same issue with my D5, also can you remember if it let you use cruise control when you had this problem?

Thanks.
HarjB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 09:37   #20
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjB View Post
Hi Lancee, do you remember which fuse is was having the same issue with my D5, also can you remember if it let you use cruise control when you had this problem?

Thanks.

See post 17 on this thread.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post: