Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Resto-mod XC90 Project

Views : 3749

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2017, 14:19   #1
kylespk

Default New Resto-mod XC90 Project

HI have just bought a 2004 XC90 D5 with 112k on the odo. It has been poorly looked after in the interior but the engine seems sound. All the major servicing has been done at the appropriate mileage and times. I am looking to restore this back to its glory and also update/mod it where I can. Which is why I would like advice from you experienced owners. I have the intention of keeping this car until it no longer runs.

I have the regular issues (from my trolling through the forums) that is common from the age:

1. The 'Contact Reel' makes noise when the wheel is turned and the occasional antiskid service message appears. I would like to fix this myself and doesn't look too hard from the forum help. My question is: I have a mate who is breaking a 59 plate and is willing to donate the clock spring to me. WILL I HAVE COMPATIBILITY ISSUES WITH THIS ON MY CAR?

2. My Radiator fan make a LOT of noise when it is on. I suspect that it is a bearing issue as the fan does its job of cooling off and shutting off after.

3. My rear view mirror is always dimmed. I will probably get a replacement glass and stick it over as I know that you cannot replace them without reprogramming.

Photos of ever advance will soon follow.

Thanks
kylespk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2017, 22:03   #2
Simon Jones
Premier Member

If the mirror in the XC90 is similar to the XC70/V70/S60, you can get a replacement mirror from the scrapyard and carefully transplant the mirror leaving the original electronics in place. Have a search on the forum for details on how to do it.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 01:48   #3
kylespk

Thanks. I'm looking into it. If you can post a link to the appropriate section I would be grateful. Seats refurbished now. Next the fogging headlights

Last edited by kylespk; Apr 20th, 2017 at 01:51. Reason: Miss read the comments
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 12:14   #4
cassell
Member since 1988

If you are sure the steering angle sensor/clock spring from the donor car is in full working order it can be transplanted straight across to your car, it's plug and play, no programming required.

Just take the usual precautions as you remove the steering wheel airbag!
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 01:20   #5
kylespk

Default Seats restored

Finally finished the seat restoration. Supplies from furniture clinic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3339.jpg (136.1 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3341.jpg (113.4 KB, 181 views)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kylespk For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 10:04   #6
Chesney46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylespk View Post
Finally finished the seat restoration. Supplies from furniture clinic.
Very impressive!
Old May 1st, 2017, 16:55   #7
kylespk

After reading through some of the links on the forum, I decided to try the liqui Moly Diesel purge.

I bought a litre from ebay for under £10 and used the following link to perform the purge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYsXHC2-PSw

RESULTS: A much better throttle response but not so different in the MPG. Still worth it and will be putting this as a regular element of my services.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3359.jpg (256.2 KB, 62 views)
Old May 1st, 2017, 20:13   #8
poiuytre111

I had been thinking of doing this to my car. It occurs to me that the liqui-moly must be more a solvent and less lubricanting than diesel fuel.

You might not want to expose your more expensive parts e.g. high pressure pump - that sort of thing - to repeated treatments unless needed.
poiuytre111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to poiuytre111 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 13:17   #9
kylespk

Sorry it's been a while but I have been doing a lot of research (and fund management) when it comes to my XC. Here is the stereo. Been running it for almost a year now and it has been great. Did all the electricals and instillation myself though bypassing the fibre optic cables have been a nightmare and my parking sensors still don't work (good thing my double din came with a reverse camera).

If you want to follow along or need some advice on double din volvo xc90 installs check out who helped me

www.incartec.co.uk

Quite pricy to bypass the fibre optics. Worth it as I plan to have this car until it dies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_dsc_0238.jpg (153.1 KB, 98 views)
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 15:22   #10
Rooster
Speed freak

The double din headunit will be my next mod to my xc90,

As much as i like the standard look it is almost impossible to upgrade and work correctly,

The parking sensor issue had me thinking and having worked on volvo's for quiet a long time the earlier parking sensor kits pre-2004ish used to wire to the reverse lights and have a buzzer in the boot area,

So basically the module took its power from the reverse lights and worked when they were on and went off when they were off,

but am sure they used to use a very similar park assist module, loom and sensors,

I have bought a park assist module from a classic s40 and keep meaning to empty my boot enough so i can get side out and see if sensor loom will plug into it as if it does then if i can get hold of other bit of loom with buzzer then i can keep my sensors working,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post: