Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fan belts

Views : 1581

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2018, 13:32   #11
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

If that's true then all the pulleys on mine were worn out after 110,000 miles.

Do you really fit a new crankshaft pulley at 100,000 miles - is that a regular service item?
It seems hard to believe - are Volvo pulleys made to inferior standards to other cars?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2018, 19:09   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
If that's true then all the pulleys on mine were worn out after 110,000 miles.

Do you really fit a new crankshaft pulley at 100,000 miles - is that a regular service item?
It seems hard to believe - are Volvo pulleys made to inferior standards to other cars?
no . not many had new pulleys , they just replaced the belts which got rid of the noise for a while . but 100,000 miles + is when the squeaking becomes apparent , you only have to look at the water pump pulley to see how polished and worn it looks , perhaps the belts were too hard , too good a quality , they did tend to last forever .
Another point , the alternator and in some cases the power steering pump were rubber mounted , and oil gets on the mounts and causes the bushes to weaken putting the pulleys out of line which increase the wear .
Old May 28th, 2018, 02:44   #13
volvo264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post

Unfortunately I can't find any Gates belts listed that would be the right length for the alternator belts. The 11.9 X 950 is slightly too long, and the alternator adjustment won't adjust far enough.
So it needs to be about 920 mm to 930 mm, which just doesn't seem to be available.
At the Gates-AU site you can go thru the V-Belt catalog and find one that could fit your 240 . I see this one 11A925 and have attach note on 11A tension Range from Gates TSB

7365 / 11A0925 BELT

http://www.gatesaustralia.com.au/all...tag=Automotive

I got all the 4 Gates 264 belts locally here in NZ
https://www.repco.co.nz/en/parts-ser...5mm/p/A1070858

Current ALT belt in my 264 is Gates and Dayco (top cog) a bit of a "fruit salad" combo. Will replace them coming weekend to keep it all at 11mm .
264GL B27E 1977 - 2017 Barn-Find
volvo264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2018, 08:58   #14
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Another point , the alternator and in some cases the power steering pump were rubber mounted , and oil gets on the mounts and causes the bushes to weaken putting the pulleys out of line which increase the wear .

That was my first thought when I first started trying to locate the cause of the noise. However the bushes are sound and the pulleys are in line - I've tested with a long steel ruler laid along the flanges.

If the Volvo-specified belt is 9.5mm wide, and with a new pulley it sits with its outer circumference just flush with the top of the V, but now it needs a 11.9 mm wide belt to sit in the same location, that means the pulley V has worn to the extent of 2.4 mm. That seems to me to be an unbelievably high degree of wear. Are you really saying pulleys wear out at that rate?

I think a much more likely explanation is that the belts were under-specified right from the start, belatedly recognised to some extent by now recommending 10 mm, but still insufficient.

As you said in your post of 28 October 2016: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=258494

"they will probably be 10mm wide which is wrong they should be 11.9 mm wide . 10mm ones will rapidly wear . "

Last edited by Clifford Pope; May 28th, 2018 at 09:25.
Old May 28th, 2018, 11:38   #15
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

An illuminating thread.

A number of us have discussed pulleys getting out of line by varying amounts. I sorted mine easily with washers.

A couple of years ago I cleaned the contact faces of the pulleys. Perhaps that was a mistake.

Perhaps replacement pulleys are expensive or only second hand and worn now?

If one does resort to third party belts, how would one get a matched pair? What might the tolerance be between the lengths of the two belts to be matched?

So far as I have noticed, my 240 does not have the problem sound of the belts. I do as always seek to learn.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2018, 12:21   #16
dingov70
Master Member

An easy solution is to read the length of the belts & simply contact a bearing supplier and ask for the belt/s you want either singly or as matched pairs

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Be...oaAp9BEALw_wcB

The closest to am 11.9mm belt is an SPA section belt 13mm wide & this will sit proud of pulley . So for an example you could end up asking for SPA 980 matched pair , the knowing parts person will simply waft away & return with your requested items . Result = Happy days
Old May 28th, 2018, 14:15   #17
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

There are surely bound to be minute differences in the characteristics of the two sets of pulleys, so a perfectly matched pair of belts would only produce identical degrees of tension if the pulleys and the component mountings had been manufactured to a corresponding degree of precision?

In practice I think there are bound to be small differences, so I suggest that a randomly selected pair of un-matched but nominally identical belts might actually have an advantage - if on setting up you find the tensions are not quite the same, try swapping the belts over.

It's a bit like sliding bits of slate under the leg of a wobbly garden table. Fortunately slates are not made very accurately, so you can usually find a better fit.

Clifford's Theorem - "Perfection is limited in its choices, but errors can often be offset to produce closer results"
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 09:23   #18
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Default New observations on fan belts

I have so far been able only to obtain a replacement for the steering pump belt in the size 11.9mm, but it is a much better fit on the pulleys than the so-called Volvo correct 9.5 or 10 mm. Also it is quieter.

However, futher investigation of my stock of old alternators and water pumps shows that there are two different sizes of pulley, used, if my cars have been any judge, quite erratically by Volvo.

The picture shows the difference between two water pump pulleys. The grooves are quite clearly wider in one than the other. The same is true comparing spare alternators. In addition, the wider-with groove pulleys are about 1cm greater in diameter.

There are three consequences of this:

1) As several posters have reported, stock belts are often a poor fit in the grooves, causing a sqeaking noise.

2) Alignment of the components will be impossible. As the photo shows, pulleys with different groove widths cannot line up properly

3) Because of the different pulley diameters in use, the ratios will change if there is a mismatch. In particular, a larger crank pulley driving a smaller alternator pulley will cause the alternator to run at a higher speed.

So the conclusion must be that if you want properly aligned belts that don't squeak, you need to firstly establish the size of the crank pulley grooves on your engine, then acquire matching width pump and alternator pulleys.

It would be interesting to learn what other members find on their cars. Mine has wide crank, water pump and steering pulleys, but narrow alternator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pulleys.JPG (174.6 KB, 11 views)