Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5 XC60 real world mpg

Views : 3976

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2018, 14:53   #1
NathanJT

Default T5 XC60 real world mpg

New user here, I have searched this section but couldn't find anything (promise).

I'm just about to place an order for an Inscription Pro T5 but before doing so wondered if anyone had any useful data on how the combined mpg matches up to the claimed 38?

I realise it's very subjective and dependent on many factors, not least driving style, but is 38mpg even remotely achievable?

The dealer out of interest suggests that with an economic driving style, 38 -5% is doable!

TIA
NathanJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 15:11   #2
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

I've been driving one for the last week with a mix of driving and mine is averaging just over 30mpg at present...that is with the AC and Ventilated Seats on and not "trying" to drive economically.

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 15:29   #3
isleaiw
Master Member

Most people would say that official less 20% is nearer the mark unless you are very light footed and / or spend most of your life on M roads or duals at 60mph....

You dont say what sort of driving you are doing everyday 0 if you are crawling through central London, 20 might be hopeful. If you do nice country road commutes, very little stop start and car gets plenty of time warm then 30+ is no issue. I am averaging almost 30 from a 3.0 V6 petrol Audi with 350hp and 4wd... but i do spend a disproportionate amount of time on motorways....
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 15:29   #4
Bernard F

My experience was that the first 2,000 miles were absolutely terrible. Now most journeys of 30 minutes or more on free flowing roads give me 30 to 35 mpg and my overall average is 27 mpg. This includes many local short journeys. I pay no attention to economy, use premium fuel and drive up to the legal limit wherever possible.
Other owners will no doubt have quite different experiences.
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 15:38   #5
NathanJT

My driving tends to be a mix of fairly free flowing A roads (some dual carriageways) to inner city traffic, likely a 60:40 ratio on a good week.

Driving style ranges from relaxed in an SUV to manic in my wife's Focus ST. Having test driven the XC60 I can't say it really makes you want to drive it like you stole it, so likely more on the sedate side.

At least if it's even remotely possible then that's all I need to know. The last petrol car I had was an Audi RS3 and, for obvious reasons, I never saw much over high teens in that!

Thanks all!
NathanJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 15:49   #6
Bernard F

You are going too be very surprised then when you get your new XC60 T5. It’s no slouch and I enjoy every minute driving. If you must have 38mpg average I think you can do it but if you enjoy driving as I do it’s 27 mpg orchange to a D4.
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 18:29   #7
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJT View Post
New user here, I have searched this section but couldn't find anything (promise).

I'm just about to place an order for an Inscription Pro T5 but before doing so wondered if anyone had any useful data on how the combined mpg matches up to the claimed 38?

I realise it's very subjective and dependent on many factors, not least driving style, but is 38mpg even remotely achievable?

The dealer out of interest suggests that with an economic driving style, 38 -5% is doable!

TIA
My average is 28 mpg. Best per tankful is 32.5 mpg. I think my best single trip has been around the 35mpg. I think you would struggle to beat 35mpg, it all depends on your typical driving and journeys.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobby2000 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 22:11   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJT View Post

TIA
Don't forget that volvo petrol engines for the last 4 years are GDi , direct injection which makes them considerable more efficient than the older 5 cylinder petrol engines you might be used to .
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 22:43   #9
Jontylad

Hi

I'm a new member and my T5 Inscription should be in the UK now. Well I hope it is!

I never got to test drive one but for those that have one are you pleased with how it drives? I test drove the D4 and D5 which were great but I thought petrol was the sensible choice for the long term hold family vehicle.
Jontylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 10:47   #10
Deman77
Master Member

T5 xc60 is s peach to drive. Very responsive, quiet, nimble, quiet. You will be pleased.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post: