Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

suddenly starter motor wont engage

Views : 2059

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2019, 19:54   #11
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Not necessarily. In this scenario the problem could just as easily be a sticking solenoid.
Well, in over 15 years of working in the industry as an auto-electrician, I never encountered a solenoid that was sticky. I encountered plenty of solenoids that wouldn't engage because the motor brushes were worn out (remember - the solenoid pull-in winding earths through the starter motor so worn brushes means no earth circuit).

There could always be a first time though.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 20:08   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
Well, in over 15 years of working in the industry as an auto-electrician, I never encountered a solenoid that was sticky.
In that case Ash, either you missed them for whatever reason or the climate in NZ reduces the risk of it happening.

It's a common enough occurrence here, usually a gummy residue on the plunger causes the sticking and it works both ways as well - it can hold the starter pinion in once the key has been released, as well as preventing the plunger sliding towards the contacts and mechanically pre-engaging the drive pinion before completing the circuit to the starter motor and switching to the hold-in coil from the pull-in coil.

Usually cleaning the plunger with brake or carb cleaner/thinners restores normal operation.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 20:11   #13
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
Well, in over 15 years of working in the industry as an auto-electrician, I never encountered a solenoid that was sticky. I encountered plenty of solenoids that wouldn't engage because the motor brushes were worn out (remember - the solenoid pull-in winding earths through the starter motor so worn brushes means no earth circuit).

There could always be a first time though.
A solenoid can easily stick if moisture causes corrosion.
It depends on climate, starter location and starter design. Certainly not impossible.

The solenoid is grounded through the body of the starter and the brushes play no part in this.
This can easily be shown by connecting a 12v feed to the solenoid ignition switch and grounding the solenoid body.
You could have badly worn brushes or no brushes at all in the starter yet still engage the solenoid.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 20:34   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
A solenoid can easily stick if moisture causes corrosion.
It depends on climate, starter location and starter design. Certainly not impossible.

The solenoid is grounded through the body of the starter and the brushes play no part in this.
This can easily be shown by connecting a 12v feed to the solenoid ignition switch and grounding the solenoid body.
You could have badly worn brushes or no brushes at all in the starter yet still engage the solenoid.
Not quite right i'm afraid!

As you can see, the current through the pull-in coil in the solenoid runs through the brushes and armature - only when the solenoid is completely in does it run through the hold-in coil direct to earth.

That image was picked at random from an image search for "pre-engaged starter solenoid circuit" so wasn't picked for it's "unique" arrangement - this is arguably the most common arrangement on the pre-engaged starter.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 20:51   #15
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Not quite right i'm afraid!

As you can see, the current through the pull-in coil in the solenoid runs through the brushes and armature - only when the solenoid is completely in does it run through the hold-in coil direct to earth.

That image was picked at random from an image search for "pre-engaged starter solenoid circuit" so wasn't picked for it's "unique" arrangement - this is arguably the most common arrangement on the pre-engaged starter.
I've rebuilt and bench tested enough starters to be confident in my description.
The solenoid can absolutely 100% be operated without the main starter being energised in fact the main starter can only be energised if the solenoid has been activated in the first place to bridge the permanent live feed to the brush pack.

Without independent solenoid operation, the brushes receive no voltage.
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 20:58   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I've rebuilt and bench tested enough starters to be confident in my description.
The solenoid can absolutely 100% be operated without the main starter being energised in fact the main starter can only be energised if the solenoid has been activated in the first place to bridge the permanent live feed to the brush pack.

Ever had a starteer turn very slowly for no apparent reason? That's usually the contacts in the solenoid burned. The pull-in solenoid is earthing out through the brushes and the starter turns slowly as a result - this is also useful to help engage the drive pinon with the flywheel.

I've stripped and reconditioned thousands of starters and alternators in my time, some by the side of the road to get a breakdown sorted (obviously they weren't fully reconditioned) and i know this is how almost all of them are wired - do an internet search using the same terms as i described above - you will see this is the case.

Old Feb 13th, 2019, 22:03   #17
cheshired5
Premier Member

The solenoid is grounded via the starter body to the engine block which in turn is connected to the battery negative terminal directly via an engine strap in the bay or like on mine via an engine strap to the chassis then another strap back to the battery in the boot.

I can't make it any clearer so I'm happy to agree to disagree.
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 22:11   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The solenoid is grounded via the starter body to the engine block which in turn is connected to the battery negative terminal directly via an engine strap in the bay or like on mine via an engine strap to the chassis then another strap back to the battery in the boot.

I can't make it any clearer so I'm happy to agree to disagree.
Read the electrical diagram above - all others i found on my quick search were similar as i expected them to be.

Yes, there is an earth return path from the solenoid coils through the starter body - but which solenoid coils?

The pull-in coil, hold-in coil or both?

Old Feb 13th, 2019, 22:34   #19
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Yes, there is an earth return path from the solenoid coils through the starter body - but which solenoid coils?

The pull-in coil, hold-in coil or both?
Both.
Here is a solenoid being operated disconnected from any starter. No brushes present or needed
https://youtu.be/bTj_lVMmgX4
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 22:48   #20
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:

Wrong.

The pull in winding is as shown in Dave's diagram and earths via the main motor circuit ie through the brushes. A hold in winding (lower current) operates in parallel and is earthed directly. When the solenoid contacts close the pull in winding has an equal voltage at each end and so stops operating. The hold in winding continues until the circuit is de-energised.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post: