Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 lumpy after startup (briefly)

Views : 586

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2024, 12:09   #1
Kev0607
Premier Member

Default V70 D5 lumpy after startup (briefly)

Hello,

When we had freezing temperatures not so long ago, I noticed that the V70 2008 D5 was taking longer to start than it normally would. It shook/rumbled for a few seconds after it started, then it settled and ran normal.

There was no light on the dash indicating a fault, but I decided to do a diagnostic check anyway. There was a fault code for cylinder 2 glow plug (not sure why that didn't put a light on the dash, but anyway!). Instead of replacing one, I decided to replace all 5 of them. I figured if one was gone, the chances were the others weren't far behind.

The car starts better since replacing the glow plugs and deleting the fault code, but it still has a bit of a rumble/shake/judder after initial startup for a few seconds, then it settles. What could this be?

I've done another VIDA scan, no codes are present. Its been recently serviced with a new fuel filter. I've checked around the injectors... there's no leaks that I can see. Battery voltage is fine. 163,000 miles on her, but its well looked after. I don't think 163k is high on a D5, but I understand that there may be wear in some components all the same. Its not going to be like new at that mileage.

Any advice/suggestions are welcome. The car drives fine and pulls like a train.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 27th, 2024 at 12:13.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 13:36   #2
Gazdkw
Master Member

Can't offer advice but I can relate.

My 2008 xc70 D5 is doing the same. I will be doing the glow plugs before next winter.

I think mine has got worst since the swirlflap has stopped moving.

I recently gave mine and oil change, fuel filter and oil filter and air filter and it hasn't improved on cold startup. It's also had a new battery.
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 14:46   #3
bananarama

In case it helps: our 2011 D3 with 123k start-ups improved with new glow plugs (the previous owner or garage had installed the wrong ones) and a new 85Ah 110 battery (powerful).

Something that gets used during start-up may need a clean?
bananarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 17:03   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
In case it helps: our 2011 D3 with 123k start-ups improved with new glow plugs (the previous owner or garage had installed the wrong ones) and a new 85Ah 110 battery (powerful).

Something that gets used during start-up may need a clean?
Its had new glow plugs and the battery is fine… That’s not old either.
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 19:12   #5
Daim
Brit in Germany

I had a lumpy idle when cold with a good bit of blue smoke. Turns out there is actually an update available. After that, my idle wasn't lumpy and the blue smoke has totally disappeared. Volvo has had issues with the Euro 5 Diesels not running perfect upon a cold start in cold conditions.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 10:01   #6
xavierx

If the rough startup is happening after the car has sat for a number of hours, and does the same when it is not cold, then it is possibly injector wear.

When the piston inside an injector wears to the point that it is no longer able to fully seal, it can cause the injector to slowly drip fuel into the cylinder over time.

When you next come to start the car, this causes two things 1) excess fuel in the cylinder causing a missfire and 2) loss of pressure between the high-pressure pump and the injectors, meaning it will take the pump a few seconds to get up to normal operating pressure.
2011 F10 BMW M5
xavierx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 10:48   #7
Gazdkw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierx View Post
If the rough startup is happening after the car has sat for a number of hours, and does the same when it is not cold, then it is possibly injector wear.

When the piston inside an injector wears to the point that it is no longer able to fully seal, it can cause the injector to slowly drip fuel into the cylinder over time.

When you next come to start the car, this causes two things 1) excess fuel in the cylinder causing a missfire and 2) loss of pressure between the high-pressure pump and the injectors, meaning it will take the pump a few seconds to get up to normal operating pressure.
Interesting. How do you clarify if this is the case or not? Have the injectors tested?
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 12:15   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierx View Post

It only happens when cold. After its had a short or long drive and the engine has warmed up, it doesn't shake/rumble on startup.
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 13:55   #9
MCFastybloke

08 D5 is the same,just a second before it picks up the last cylinder and smooths out, No codes. 132k miles.
MCFastybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 14:08   #10
xavierx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdkw View Post
Interesting. How do you clarify if this is the case or not? Have the injectors tested?
Yes, you could remove the injectors and have them tested, but that's a lot of effort and costs money.

If you have access to (or you know a local garage that does) narrow borescope that will fit through the glowplug hole, that is a quicker way of checking. You should visually see a drip forming on the injector tip if this is the case.

Most of the cheap amazon borescopes are too wide, but they make automotive ones (such as Sealey) that are specifically narrow enough for a glow plug hole
2011 F10 BMW M5
xavierx is offline   Reply With Quote