Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1072357

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 21:54   #2911
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawls View Post
Refreshed the wheel center caps with some of Dave Barton's Volvo stickers, installed Volvo mudflaps annnd 20% tint on the windows.

...then reinstalled my son's car-seat.
Nice and shiney!

Tints look good against the white paint!

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GaryS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 21:56   #2912
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
^^^^the correct approach

Funny, my original Saxo exhaust fell off after 4 years and the replacement was still going strong and looking perfect another 4 years later, and that was fitted in 3 parts, including a new manifold pipe, and a repair after I grounded it once.
What that says about Citroen I'm not sure
French Citrus make good cars. Weird and odd to drive, but they are reliable and last a long time! Frog Pergoots are similar, but not too odd.

Renault is the real French disaster area. Good designs, fun to drive, BUT built to fail just after warranty.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 21:59   #2913
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
Good, got my parcel. So I might be doing end caps this evening and posting the bust ones off to Mr Gary Sudds & Steven Phillipson of the Coffecream gang in Brighton tomorrow. Not such a nice pair of boys (Series of abusive messages through Fleabay UK). Fleabay say I can charge for postage and will get a full refund!

One more go with the WD40 (Don't try that at home etc, as it's real bad for caliper seals), alloy wheel cleaner and K roll later, once I figure out what
10Nm feels like in non torque wrench terms for my roof rail mounting bolts.
10Nm is next to nothing, Skyship.

I regularly tighten up a load M10 busbar fixings to 40Nm, without breaking a sweat.

Just nip it up and it will be perfectly fine, mate.

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
16 non Volvos.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 22:04   #2914
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
^^^^the correct approach

Funny, my original Saxo exhaust fell off after 4 years and the replacement was still going strong and looking perfect another 4 years later, and that was fitted in 3 parts, including a new manifold pipe, and a repair after I grounded it once.

What that says about Citroen I'm not sure
Precisely, BM.

Citroen aren't famed for high quality parts and I suppose 4 years for an OEM Saxo exhaust is probably quite usual.

When the back end of my 760's exhaust went, it was about 12 years old and the Quick-fit guy was sure it was the original exhaust on it.
The cheap (cheap made, not cheap to buy) replacement didn't last more than 2 years before it was rusting like crazy.

Gary
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
16 non Volvos.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 22:16   #2915
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Drove mine to Glasgow today, to see Captain America, The Winter Soldier. Excellent!
If you are going to see it, there are two clips after the film, one half way through the credits and another right at the very end.

Car turned 77,000 miles on the way there, but I couldn't take a photo, as I left my phone in the kitchen - AR5E!!!!

Gary
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
16 non Volvos.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 22:34   #2916
timmytarmac

I am sure you will do this already but make sure it's signed for postage as you just know he will say it never arrived.
timmytarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 22:48   #2917
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytarmac View Post
I am sure you will do this already but make sure it's signed for postage as you just know he will say it never arrived.
Agree with that.

If they are abusive to a customer with an issue, they are probably chancers too.

Stereotypical? Maybe.

Sceptical? Definitely!

Gary
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
16 non Volvos.
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 00:41   #2918
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytarmac View Post
Yep, BUT to complicate a simple case, "They?" have now offered to give me a 20 quid refund in a message through the Bay (Not sure if that was after an e-bay moderation or not) and it's a Paypal deal. The weird thing is that the message was out of order, because I had just offered to settle for a tenner.

I've got to be careful now because although I did say OK through an E bay message, I'm not going to close the case until I see the 20 quid Paydirt, but the post job is on hold until the 12th.

We shall see, what we see, but I will have to ask about registered mail to the UK, as I don't use it too often. Basic UPS uninsured postage is only 4 hours for the end caps, but about 14 Euros with live tracking etc. There is a reciept with normal UPS, but I don't recall if it is classed as a traking number.

I always find dealing with muppets fun, so I might just wind them up by sending the bust end caps only.

Good rails for 30 quid with free postage if Miss Piggy wins! Now that's a deal, as they are worth 90 quid plus postage.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Apr 10th, 2014 at 00:46.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 09:15   #2919
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I'm confused - why would you want to send them the rails back if the rails are fine? Thought you said the cap kit wasn't too expensive?

You could always ask your nurse to send the caps alone with a Certificate of Posting (automatically insured by Royal Mail up to £20) and then argue the toss / wind them up later when they seem angered that you've sent them the bits back that are "in a condition as to be expected for their age" and completely worthless to them. Depends whether you're doing this for s&g now or as a genuine complaint.

And you can register a claim with RM that they didn't deliver the caps and get your £20 to cover the kit. (This is actually fraudulent, so be mindful, but it's no longer publicly owned so who cares.)
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 09:50   #2920
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm confused - why would you want to send them the rails back if the rails are fine? Thought you said the cap kit wasn't too expensive?

You could always ask your nurse to send the caps alone with a Certificate of Posting (automatically insured by Royal Mail up to £20) and then argue the toss / wind them up later when they seem angered that you've sent them the bits back that are "in a condition as to be expected for their age" and completely worthless to them. Depends whether you're doing this for s&g now or as a genuine complaint.

And you can register a claim with RM that they didn't deliver the caps and get your £20 to cover the kit. (This is actually fraudulent, so be mindful, but it's no longer publicly owned so who cares.)
Lol. You made me laugh.....

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage