Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 T5 Clutch Stick

Views : 2373

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2017, 11:10   #1
domhart10
Volvo S40

Default S40 T5 Clutch Stick

Really weird problem over the weekend with the clutch pedal. under hard acceleration on second if I pushed the clutch pedal down sharply it would stay down and not come back up for a while.

The clutch itself seems fine as once I manage to get it to 3rd it pulls with no slip at all

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 11:36   #2
Yobbo
Dave

Hi Dom, this sounds like a failure linked to a component of the clutch master cylinder.

There is a Volvo recall that I hope, should apply to your car (it did to mine and ours are both '09).

Get you VIN number handy and use this webpage to see if it applies -
The recall number is - R/2011/127

Your local friendly Volvo dealership should honour the recall work and do it for free, I took my car in to my local one to see what was outstanding of the recall work done - didn't take them long to source it from their database and it happened to be one particular job involving washer fluid leaking onto a wiring harness that could cause fire.

Dave
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 12:21   #3
domhart10
Volvo S40

yeh that's what I thought, anyway I called the dealer and apparently this was changed 2015 while I had the car and I have no recollection of them actually doing this. Buts its booked in to get checked so fingers crossed

Old Nov 13th, 2017, 14:37   #4
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
yeh that's what I thought, anyway I called the dealer and apparently this was changed 2015 while I had the car and I have no recollection of them actually doing this. Buts its booked in to get checked so fingers crossed
Sounds promising, the only other thing I can thing of is a failed CSC which would produce a similar effect.
Might as well get them to make sure they do all the recall work that is outstanding.

Best of luck!
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 11:30   #5
domhart10
Volvo S40

Ok so cars just been to the dealer and they cant find a problem, and mentioned they will need to get the gearbox of so im guessing I might as well just change the clutch at that point then.

The recall part was apparently changed 2015 by a previous dealer which I don't really remember. Anyway that's where its all at, what im doing now is taking the car to an indy garage to double check everything the dealer said because I don't 100% trust the dealer here, will get a quote for replacing the clutch as well and think im leaning towards a Focus RS clutch. After Indy garage has checked as well and found out were the problem is, will update

Old Nov 16th, 2017, 12:22   #6
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Ok so cars just been to the dealer and they cant find a problem, and mentioned they will need to get the gearbox of so im guessing I might as well just change the clutch at that point then.

The recall part was apparently changed 2015 by a previous dealer which I don't really remember. Anyway that's where its all at, what im doing now is taking the car to an indy garage to double check everything the dealer said because I don't 100% trust the dealer here, will get a quote for replacing the clutch as well and think im leaning towards a Focus RS clutch. After Indy garage has checked as well and found out were the problem is, will update
I asked Volvo to print off a log sheet of all the recall work done, took them 5 mins, worth asking for for 'peace of mind'.

I've seen you've posted on FB about clutch and flywheel, I'm sure you'll get sound advice just consider where you're wanting to take the car in the future with power of course.
Also you ought to think about block reinforcements heehee!!
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 12:27   #7
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:

I've been recommended fitting the clutch from an S60R for more power - Why the RS clutch out of interest? Is it meant to be better?
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 13:36   #8
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbo View Post
I asked Volvo to print off a log sheet of all the recall work done, took them 5 mins, worth asking for for 'peace of mind'.

I've seen you've posted on FB about clutch and flywheel, I'm sure you'll get sound advice just consider where you're wanting to take the car in the future with power of course.
Also you ought to think about block reinforcements heehee!!
Yeh going to get the liners done on the next service I recon when that's due, probably going to get it done by Puma speed as they are the only ones south enough for me to get to.

FunkyMelon, I have no idea on which clutch I should go for really .... is the S60R better with dmf? still planning which I should get but need it done before another track day

The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 14:03   #9
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Have seen this recently, seem a very fair price. Bookmarked this page "for future" as I have no doubts I will need one in not so distant future... From what I researched so far, seem to be best and cheapest and also an upgrade to OEM.
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 14:47   #10
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:

FunkyMelon, I have no idea on which clutch I should go for really .... is the S60R better with dmf? still planning which I should get but need it done before another track day
Get in touch with Tim Williams on Facebook (or T5D5). Very knowledgeable chap and rebuilt my old T4 a few times including forged internals, knows Volvo's very well (ask anyone on T5D5 if you've not heard of him).

He recommended the S60R clutch for my S40 T5. I think it's the best for handling high torque levels from what I remember
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FunkyMelon For This Useful Post: