Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 T5 Clutch Stick

Views : 2371

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2017, 10:05   #21
Yobbo
Dave

To add to this Dom and others concerned - I was re-organising my car's papers whilst looking for the last alignment reports I had done and I came across the Volvo recall work print off, the clutch related recall was for the Clutch Master Cylinder.

So it would seem the Concentric Slave Cylinder wouldn't be covered unfortunately.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 14:04   #22
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbo View Post
To add to this Dom and others concerned - I was re-organising my car's papers whilst looking for the last alignment reports I had done and I came across the Volvo recall work print off, the clutch related recall was for the Clutch Master Cylinder.

So it would seem the Concentric Slave Cylinder wouldn't be covered unfortunately.
Thanks for that, yeh mine had that recall done as well so I guess this needs to be done as well. Doesnt seem to bad though, im guessing this is the item?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CONCENTRI...sAAOSwOgdYww3b

which could be sorted out with a clutch change if I dropped that item on their list to do as well?

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 11:09   #23
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Thanks for that, yeh mine had that recall done as well so I guess this needs to be done as well. Doesnt seem to bad though, im guessing this is the item?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CONCENTRI...sAAOSwOgdYww3b

which could be sorted out with a clutch change if I dropped that item on their list to do as well?
If you're going to get the clutch changed/uprated anyway it would be wise to consider getting the clutch, flywheel (with new bolts), CSC, rear engine crank seal, all done in one hit.

Are you taking the car to Volvo for the work? If so I dread to think the cost, there must surely be a reputable Volvo indy or even Focus ST/RS familiar garage in the vicinity!

Last edited by Yobbo; Dec 6th, 2017 at 11:12.
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 11:35   #24
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
If you're going to get the clutch changed/uprated anyway it would be wise to consider getting the clutch, flywheel (with new bolts), CSC, rear engine crank seal, all done in one hit.

Are you taking the car to Volvo for the work? If so I dread to think the cost, there must surely be a reputable Volvo indy or even Focus ST/RS familiar garage in the vicinity!
All of the above should be done when doing the clutch. Tim Williams is the guy most use for Volvo stuff/performance upgrades - He's very well known on T5D5 and the ST/RS forums for building their engines and making the whole car set for high power.

I'd choose him over Volvo personally, though I have a Volvo master tech in the family who looks after mine, having seen some of the monkeys that they employ (some ex kwik fit!) and the rate at which they drop out I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay dealer prices if you didn't receive any discount.

Only advantages of dealer job is that they'll use gen Volvo parts and will provide warranty if anything goes wrong. The Volvo dealers are a mess at the moment though, they vary hugely
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 11:47   #25
domhart10
Volvo S40

Yeh I have heard a lot through the forums about Tim but my guessing is that he is out of reach for me to come for a clutch change really and it wouldnt work for me and my work, so I have found a performance garage down here as the dealer down in Truro arent as good as the leamington Spa guys so doubt I will return to the dealer for anymore work.

But yes as im getting the clutch done I thought if I went the RS route I could just get the general clutch pack with dmf etc etc The dealer quote on the car for the OEM parts and work was over £1000 so im guessing sourcing the parts myself and getting a normal garage to do the work will be a lot less

The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 13:19   #26
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
"CSC" - Please elaborate?
Is that the gearbox tubing I have heard of or something else thats "worth doing while there" ?
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 14:15   #27
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
"CSC" - Please elaborate?
Is that the gearbox tubing I have heard of or something else thats "worth doing while there" ?
Clutch Slave Cylinder.
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FunkyMelon For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 14:34   #28
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Clutch Slave Cylinder.
Ah ok, I know that one. Anyone heard someting about that modified transmission "interior tube" that US guys are recommending on doing aswell with clutch job?
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 16:49   #29
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
All of the above should be done when doing the clutch. Tim Williams is the guy most use for Volvo stuff/performance upgrades - He's very well known on T5D5 and the ST/RS forums for building their engines and making the whole car set for high power.

I'd choose him over Volvo personally, though I have a Volvo master tech in the family who looks after mine, having seen some of the monkeys that they employ (some ex kwik fit!) and the rate at which they drop out I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay dealer prices if you didn't receive any discount.

Only advantages of dealer job is that they'll use gen Volvo parts and will provide warranty if anything goes wrong. The Volvo dealers are a mess at the moment though, they vary hugely
I met Tim recently at a VolvoTuning dyno event - he had depth of knowledge and quick wit to boot, also his 850 T5 made 429bhp/620nm on the rollers!!

Unfortunately for Dom, he's based all the way down in Cornwall...

Also I'm fortunate to have a decent Volvo dealer and Indy on my doorstep should I need any parts etc... In fact the dealership did a free healthcheck on my car whilst they carried out some recall work, I seemed sceptical but it was worth it in the end as it revealed a rear bushing was worn which you can't really get easy access to without a ramp.
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 22:07   #30
domhart10
Volvo S40

So anyway to tie this one up now I have actually just purchased an S60R clutch kit now. I think FunkyMelon said this but just to confirm what he said that the S60R clutch is actually a better upgrade option over the focus RS Mk2 clutch kit. So yeh have the clutch and dmf on the way, which should solve any clutch issues have previously from hard acceleration from stand still, as have not had any other problems appart from that and it has been quite a while gone now.

What mileage are the clutches meant to go on the cars anyway? im on 126k and the clutch still feels very strong.