Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 T5-R estate - squatting down at rear

Views : 1961

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2024, 20:47   #1
Woolley11

Default 850 T5-R estate - squatting down at rear

I’m just pondering the rear stance my 1994 T5-R has.

I bought it a few months ago and it’s not been on road yet.

It seems to squat at the rear - when engine running there’s no change so I’d suspect self levelling suspension (if it has it fitted).

It’s been off road a few years so wonder if it’s springs have sagged ??

I understand they are a little lower at back but this seems very low - unless previous owner has had no standard springs fitted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6951.jpg (204.5 KB, 36 views)
Woolley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 22:25   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley11 View Post
when engine running there’s no change so I’d suspect self levelling suspension (if it has it fitted).
Eh? Engine running has got nothing to do with self-levelling suspension on these, it's passive.

Does it have the right stance after a drive? If so, then sagging Nivomat shock absorbers.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 22:58   #3
rabbituk

In order for the self leveling to do its thing you simply need to drive a few metres. I've done this many times when I did some tip runs with 20 odd sacks of rubble (I know, how could I do this to my car but I couldn't get a skip because property was right next to a bus stop and didn't want to wait 'n load).
rabbituk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 06:23   #4
Woolley11

Ah right - thought with engine running it would operate the “compressor” if fitted.

I’ve an Alpina 5 series estate that rises slightly if been stood a bit once the engine starts up.

I’ll take a measurement and then drive up and down a bit then take another measurement

Will report back
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 08:54   #5
Rich850R
Master Member

If its on original suspension its highly likely they are shot
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 18:18   #6
Simmy
Premier Member

its also possible that someone may have replaced the nivomat shocks with ordinary shocks the springs that are used with nivomat shocks are very soft and cannot be used with ordinary shocks this results in a very low rear end. check what shocks are fitted.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 07:52   #7
Woolley11

Well I ran it up and down where I store a bit, and it made no difference to the stance.

I’m due to strip the brakes at rear so can have good look over.

I’ve measured 30cm (about) from just under wheel arch to centre of hub.
Just wondered what other members car’s measurements might be
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 08:20   #8
Rich850R
Master Member

They are definitely knackered unless you are running Coilovers! Mine is low on coilovers and thats the exact measurement i have!
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 22:19   #9
Luxobarge
Premier Member

IMHO these only look right if the sills are parallel to the ground. I'd take it to a truly flat smooth surface and measure ground to sill gap at each end and on both sides, this will tell you if it is indeed sagging at the rear and by how much.

How to fix it depends on whether you have Nivomat self-levelling shocks or a standard set-up, so you need to tell us that.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 17:25   #10
Woolley11

Well I’ve measured the bottom of sill cover to ground at front and same at back - there’s 18cm at front and 16.5cm at rear.

So I need to investigate what suspension is fitted at rear of car. I’m not sure as not had a wheel off it since I got it.

It could be just sagged with it been layed up a long time. I guess it could be wrong springs for the shocks or other way round.

Not aware it’s got coil overs as would have thought front and back set to the same tide height.