Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My poor XC90 and its run in with a bus

Views : 4496

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2017, 14:27   #1
Torkrigare

Default My poor XC90 and its run in with a bus

In the context of all the awful things happening in London and elsewhere, I know this pales into insignificance. However, my lovely new XC90 came off worst in a run-in with a double-decker bus this morning.

I was stationary at the head of the traffic waiting to enter a busy roundabout near home when a double-decker bus ran straight into the back of me - eyes on the traffic coming from the right instead of on me waiting in front of him.

The tail gate is a total mess, and the rear bumper is damaged too. Fingers crossed that's the full extent of the damage and there's nothing serious beyond that - the chassis for instance. Then it's a matter of how long to get the parts from Volvo.

Volvo Insurance and their claims handlers have been very good so far. The car's due to be picked up tomorrow morning and a replacement XC90 left with me while mine's being fixed by the local body work repairers authorised by Volvo.

I should get a clearer picture in a couple of days time as to the true extent of the damage and timescales for repair. The repairer has already called me and said that 2-3 weeks to repair is not out of the question but they're yet to have the car to make a full assessment.

On the bright side, the bus driver accepted full responsibility, so I shouldn't face any immediate cost. On the down side, it will inevitably impact my insurance renewal cost not to mention the inconvenience over the period of repair or replacement. I'm due to be away with the car in just over two weeks time; I'm really hoping things can get sorted in time for that...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Image.jpeg (194.8 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpeg Image-1.jpeg (180.7 KB, 272 views)
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 15:03   #2
KNVXC90

Sorry to see this happen to your new XC90. Hope things get sorted out soon for you. All the best.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine recently (not in an XC90). She was waiting at a roundabout, and a lorry ran into her car...obviously the lorry driver was looking at the traffic from right, and lost sight of the waiting car in the front.
MY17 XC90 D5 PP P* Inscription, MagicBlue, Amber VentilatedMassage Seats, Birch, Homelink, Winter+HUD, Xenium, 7SeatComfort, Air, 20", Laminated&Tinted, AuxHeater, BLIS, AndroidAuto, B&W, RunningBoards
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
Prev: MY02 Mazda 6 TS2
KNVXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KNVXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 15:33   #3
soupytwister
Master Member

One word. Pants!

Gutted for you on a car that is only 2 months old
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 15:52   #4
S60Chris
Master Member

Holy Crap. Sorry to read this.

1 - Glad you are OK
2 - This sort of thing is the reason (or one of the reasons) why we have bought these cars.
The Following User Says Thank You to S60Chris For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 15:54   #5
AB-UK
Premier Member

Sorry to read of your incident, and I hope you weren't injured in any way.

Did any of the XC90's safety systems activate, like seat belt tensioners, seat recline or anything else like that?
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 16:06   #6
Torkrigare

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
Sorry to read of your incident, and I hope you weren't injured in any way.

Did any of the XC90's safety systems activate, like seat belt tensioners, seat recline or anything else like that?
I couldn't say, to be honest. It all happens so fast, and I was out of the car pretty quickly. I'm totally uninjured, so perhaps that's attributable to some safety feature or another.
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 16:44   #7
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkrigare View Post
I couldn't say, to be honest. It all happens so fast, and I was out of the car pretty quickly. I'm totally uninjured, so perhaps that's attributable to some safety feature or another.
Volvo's don't come with that revenue generating Whiplash Creation System commonly found in other makes & models of car....
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 17:20   #8
Fortune7
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkrigare View Post
Volvo Insurance and their claims handlers have been very good so far. The car's due to be picked up tomorrow morning and a replacement XC90 left with me while mine's being fixed by the local body work repairers authorised by Volvo.
Very sorry to hear about this but as others have said, at least you're OK. Can I ask about your experience with Volvo insurance please? I just took out a policy with them but they have an option for 'Courtesy Car Plus' which seems to offer a better level/size of replacement car in the event of prolonged repairs (up to 21 days) for the main vehicle. Clearly, most XC90 owners would want an XC90 as replacement, (I certainly would) and its good to know you have one. Was there any discussion about this or does your policy include it?

Thanks, and hoping for speedy repairs for you,
Andy
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 17:33   #9
Considered1
Premier Member

Glad to hear you are ok... pieces of metal can be rebuilt.

please dont accept this insurance rubbish that you've had a claim not a non fault accident I didnt. Once your excess has been recovered from the third party and you have their admission in writing insist this is recorded as info only as you have then made no claim as it was all settled by the other faulty party.

They even tried to load my wifes van insurance when someone hit me from behind in my car, told them to take it off and record as info only as I had not made any claim, especially on my wifes van, flippin' racket, dont accept folks.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 19:16   #10
Torkrigare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune7 View Post
Very sorry to hear about this but as others have said, at least you're OK. Can I ask about your experience with Volvo insurance please? I just took out a policy with them but they have an option for 'Courtesy Car Plus' which seems to offer a better level/size of replacement car in the event of prolonged repairs (up to 21 days) for the main vehicle. Clearly, most XC90 owners would want an XC90 as replacement, (I certainly would) and its good to know you have one. Was there any discussion about this or does your policy include it?

Thanks, and hoping for speedy repairs for you,
Andy
My experience on day 1 with Volvo Insurance has been positive. They took my call before 7am this morning and dealt with the immediate concerns, and then their claims/accident management team called back at 8:30am as soon as they were open for normal business. Took approx 20 minutes going through all the details with them. They sent me a Statement of Truth form via email while I was on the phone which I was able to complete and email back to them. It's another Volvo Insurance / Allianz contract too, called Kindertons, and again I was pleased with the way that went.

By 10am, I'd received another call from their car fleet people arranging pick up of my car to take it to the approved Volvo repair centre and drop-off of a replacement car. I don't have the Courtesy Car Plus option on my policy, but they were happy to offer me an XC90 at no expense to myself. It is done on a credit hire basis, but with payment claimed from the party at fault - the bus company in my case.

By 11am as I was nearly at work I had a call from the repair centre to say they'd received a call from Volvo insurance/Kindertons, to introduce themselves and confirm they were expecting the car in tomorrow for assessment and repair.

So all-in-all it's gone pretty smoothly so far. Now the difficult part of waiting to see how it plays out over the coming days and weeks.