Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ECM 6805 boost returning through air intake

Views : 428

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2018, 15:41   #1
Bigdave0785

Default ECM 6805 boost returning through air intake

Hi all, I hope you are able to spare me 5 minutes as I’m at the end of my tether. I have the ecm6805 fault code boost pressure faulty flow. I have been through the whole vacuum system and everything seems as it should, I replaced the turbo control valve, (I think that’s what it’s called, the one bolted to the front of the engine that supplies the actuator) what the car is doing, when I rev it, from high revs to idle it seems to be throwing boost back up the air intake, a whooshing sound like a dump valve/anti lag kind of noise. Iv stripped the egr and cleaned it out, it wasn’t too bad to be fair. I’m wondering if it could be the vanes sticking and was wondering if that’s what it could be before I start unbolting the turbo as it looks tricky to get to all the bolts. I have applied vacuum to the actuator and the arm moves about 1 cm but it’s hard to move manually. Any help would be most appreciated as iv spent days on it now with no success. Many thanks
Bigdave0785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 16:05   #2
gmonag
Premier Member

I think you have aswered your own question. I asssume you have a 163hp. If you have eliminated vacuum system faults then I would bet that your turbo inlet guide vanes are gummed up (the sticky actuator confirms this). I've been through this personally, same symptoms. You might get some temporary improvement by performing an in-place clean of the turbo vanes (Mr Muscle) but it will not be a permanent fix. Change the turbo.

An exchange refurbished turbo is about £300. Removal and fitment is a bit tricky (the turbo usually will not come out of the top).

Last edited by gmonag; Feb 14th, 2018 at 16:15.
gmonag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 16:23   #3
Bigdave0785

Just as I suspected, will strip it down and have a look, thanks for the reply
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 09:27   #4
Bigdave0785

Struggling to get the bolts out, are these additives that supposedly clean the turbo out any good or are they a waste of time
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 11:03   #5
gmonag
Premier Member

You may get some temporary improvement. I tried Revive and Mr Muscle. They may work if the vanes are not too far gone but I suspect that yours, like mine, are coked up too badly.
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 13:05   #6
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdave0785 View Post
Struggling to get the bolts out, are these additives that supposedly clean the turbo out any good or are they a waste of time
If you shear off the bolts you are F>>>>d. and it becomes a nightmare.

Try the mr muscle and anything else that might possibly give you a better indication that it is the vanes before pulling the turbo,

I had ferocious job with rounded and sheared bolts in mine and subsequently bought a turbo from a scrap yard all bolts sheared in that also...

I eventually spent the bobs and bought a span new turbo, this was not cheap... (mine is the 185 and slightly harder to get out the angle gear but I think it still needs to come out to get the turbo off in the 163...)
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 14:39   #7
Bigdave0785

Quote:
Originally Posted by osullivant View Post
If you shear off the bolts you are F>>>>d. and it becomes a nightmare.

Try the mr muscle and anything else that might possibly give you a better indication that it is the vanes before pulling the turbo,

I had ferocious job with rounded and sheared bolts in mine and subsequently bought a turbo from a scrap yard all bolts sheared in that also...

I eventually spent the bobs and bought a span new turbo, this was not cheap... (mine is the 185 and slightly harder to get out the angle gear but I think it still needs to come out to get the turbo off in the 163...)
What do you do with the mr muscle to clean turbo out, I don’t suppose you spray it in the intake
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 15:35   #8
gmonag
Premier Member

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ghlight=muscle
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 16:35   #9
Bigdave0785

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
Awesome Greg, will give it a try, thank you very much. Just out of curiosity, is it just the Mr Muscle oven cleaner
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 17:32   #10
gmonag
Premier Member

Yes. Wear gloves and eye protection.

NB it will only be a temporary fix.