Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 vs V70 (2008+)

Views : 2225

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2016, 12:35   #1
cpk
Keen

Default S80 vs V70 (2008+)

Hi All,

I need some expert advice.

I'm going to opt out my company car scheme and take the money and mileage allowance.

My plan is/was to spend ~£5k on a well looked after S80 (07-09) and put 15k miles on a year, service it myself where possible (with help from the forum!) and keep it ticking over for 3 years. We would then have a 'family car' for the other half, mine would only be used for work and perhaps the emergency family job.

I've recently noticed in my searching that the equivalent V70 is of a similar price but would give the advantage of a bigger boot and perhaps make it easier to resale should the time come. Is this assumption correct?

I was expecting the V70 to be far more desirable and 20-30% more expensive.

Are there noticeable differences between the two? I assume interior space/rear leg room is the same? The S80 may have a slightly better spec, but apart from that I'm struggling to see...

Is the saloon a noticeably quieter/better cruiser?

Any help is appreciated. I want to make sure I make the right decision.

Thanks
cpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 13:21   #2
dme123
Master Member

The S80 is noticeably quieter, as saloons always are for obvious reasons. There are probably differences in suspension tuning but they must be subtle because they feel much the same to drive. As you say, you seem to get more well specified S80 models than V70s and the really nice options (Dynaudio/better leather/radar cruise) are a lot less common on the V70.

Having had a look on AT briefly it does look like you get a lower mileage S80 for your money than a V70 though. The £5k V70s all look a bit crap with high miles and low specs, whereas you can just sneak in a decent S80 on that budget. I would say that my colleagues experience of a higher mileage S80 (140k ish) has not been good, if you want something that'll probably be more robust for the long run you could consider a late model '06/'07 P1 V70? There are some real bargains, and a couple of very nice looking late model T5 manuals on AT at the moment.
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dme123 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 21:23   #3
RM955I
Premier Member

06/07 would make it a P2.

I ran a P2 for 80,000 miles with nothing more than routine maintenance and a few bits like wishbones. The die hard enthusiasts swear blind that the P2 is a better car than the P3 and the last of the 'proper' Volvos...utter cobblers. I'm in a P3 now and it is immeasurably more refined and a massive leap forward. It hasn't got the rattles and squeaks of the frankly shoddy P2 interior which never equaled the sum of its parts: the quality of the materials was good but it wasn't well assembled.

I'm a V70 fan because I love the versatility of the big old barge and in P3 form it is refined although at 115k mine needs the shocks replacing. It seems as easy to work on for routine maintenance although there's a few demons such as the thermostat - I believe if that ever needs replacing, it's a real pig. My twin turbo D5 is a lovely, grunty if slightly gruff unit but that's part of the charm. The P3 sits higher and is easier to get in and out of which does matter and I'm hardly limited in terms of mobility! Personally I think the V70 is suited to auto trim and the horror stories of transmissions are greatly exaggerated - find one with a good 'box, look after it by changing the oil and it should last you well.

As for S80...just not my type of car I'm afraid.

Last edited by RM955I; Apr 12th, 2016 at 21:28.
RM955I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 08:21   #4
Billggski

Big saloons don't sell well, but a Volvo estate is a style icon as well as a useful tool, there will always be a market for them.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 15:59   #5
st4
I've Been Banned

I'm biased, saloon car every time. Lockable boot, better refinement and performance.
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote