Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50/SHARK/MILLTEK/POLYBUSH/REMAP = 279hp & 420trq

Views : 32782

Replies : 159

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2013, 10:46   #131
marct1980

Finally caved in and have removed the vibetechnics engine mount from the car.

It was great fun for the hard stuff but it was just transferring way too many bumps and vibrations to the rest of the car. even the little bumps of different levels of tarmac caused a fairly significant thump to shock through the car.

went back to the stock one for just now and the change is huge, the gear change feels... well doesn't feel now its way too soft! thinking about going for the pumaspeed mount now as i hear it is the best compromise.

any racers out there that want a vibetechnics mount give me a shout !!
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:47   #132
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marct1980 View Post

any racers out there that want a vibetechnics mount give me a shout !!
Just FYI you may get some interest in the mount on http://www.focusstoc.com
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scoobysn7x For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:28   #133
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Engine stay.

You might be much better advised to fit the mount from the Focus RS which I believe was also fitted on the last of the smaller Volvo T5s as well.

Regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2013, 13:55   #134
marct1980

Even after removing the vibetechnics mount and swapping out the adjustable camber arms...

(which keep coming loose, i will have to get them set and then think about dropping some weld on them to keep them tight, kind of defeats the purpose of them!)

I am still getting a bit of a strange "thonking" (technical term!) noise from the left front of the car, i've had a look at everything i can see and it all looks to be tight and secure, when the car is on the jack i can't move the wheel / hub to replicate the noise. It only happens when at speed going over small to big bumps on the road, something sounds loose but i just can't find it! Looks like a trip to the locals to see if they can find anything, suggestions welcome at this point!!!
Old May 11th, 2013, 14:58   #135
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marct1980 View Post
the adjustable camber arms... which keep coming loose, i will have to get them set and then think about dropping some weld on them to keep them tight, kind of defeats the purpose of them!

I am still getting a bit of a strange "thonking" (technical term!) noise from the left front of the car
For the adjustable control arms then perhaps once set up some Loctite nut lock would be a little less dramatic than a weld and produce the same results with the added ability of being able to move the nut later if you need to?

For the clonk/thonk/thud/thunk/bing/bang/bong thing I'd have a look at your top mounts and also check the bolts on the strut brace if fitted. The drop links would also be on my list too.

If I didn't know you have recently had a good lot of work done then I'd say to look at the springs and especially where it just starts to coil up.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 15:40   #136
marct1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
For the adjustable control arms then perhaps once set up some Loctite nut lock would be a little less dramatic than a weld and produce the same results with the added ability of being able to move the nut later if you need to?

For the clonk/thonk/thud/thunk/bing/bang/bong thing I'd have a look at your top mounts and also check the bolts on the strut brace if fitted. The drop links would also be on my list too.

If I didn't know you have recently had a good lot of work done then I'd say to look at the springs and especially where it just starts to coil up.

strut brace is good i had it off the other day and is secure for sure, drop links seemed fine too,

top mounts and springs i think will need a bit more of a pro mech to get at as i have never taken them out before think i will send it off to the local indy in the near future and get them to strip it out and rebuild everything! hope that wont cost too much!
Old May 11th, 2013, 18:38   #137
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Spring - Needs nothing more than a visual check with the wheel off to give better access and sight. Take when off and have a good look at spring with both eyes and fingers as some cracks are hard to detect. Pay particular attention to the area where the bottom of the spring just starts to curl upwards.

Top mounts - No need to dismantle everything, just check the nuts at the top (in engine bay) to check they are fully tight and torqued correctly, put car on axle stand so wheel can dangle (take the pressure/weight off the mount and give a good check by turning the road wheel with your hands back and forth and just generally wiggle it about to see if you can detect slackness/noise anywhere.

Old May 15th, 2013, 15:08   #138
marct1980

quick trip to my local indy garage and they phone me right back saying its fixed!, not sure i want to admit what was loose but think its fair to say that it was my fault!!

all running fine now and no thonking to be heard!!
Old May 15th, 2013, 15:19   #139
SonyVaio
VOC Member

What a cliff-hanger!

Come on Mark you can't leave us in suspense, what didn't you do?

You done them brakes recently so I'm guessing carrier bolts loose?

Old May 15th, 2013, 15:30   #140
marct1980

If I had a prize to give away then you would win it ! (Detective?), not the carriers but the whole caliper had come loose!!

good job i was not in it much they reckon the bolts had just started working themselves loose but also warned me not to try DIY ever again as I am rubbish at it!!

the other good news is they only took £20 off me for the work, A bargain if you ask me, there was nothing stopping them saying it took them ages to find the problem and charging me for heaps of labour. Good guys up here!!

Tags
vaiotag