Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo conversion

Views : 2881

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2018, 13:04   #11
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Starting with a late model car that already has LH2.4 is the easy way.

If fitting to a older 240 you wither need to pick out the 940 loom or buy the conversion loom

If you have a 2.0 turbo available then you had may as well use it biut if searching out a engine then aim for a 2.3

Choice for you on rebuilding. I would always rather rebuild but have on a number of conversion just dropped teh engine in as is (other than swapping dizzy and shaft)

I have done both Auto and Manual swaps, you will know what you want
Thanks..... you mention a conversion loom is this something you can just buy or are you meaning pricing together from another vehicle?

Is there a guide to rebuilding an engine that is step by step enough to follow, or how much would it cost to get this done who would you get to do it and is it best to use genuine Parts, obviously these engines go on and on, don’t want to rebuild one with rubbish components, would be best to leave it alone if that was the case.
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 22:37   #12
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

the looms are new and fully plug in https://www.classicswede.co.uk/LH24_..._17591997.aspx

as to rebuilding I dont know of any guide other than the volvo green books.

Thinks like piston rings Volvo is teh best you will buy. Water pumps set fire to your money before buying a new Volvo one but SKF still make a good pump

Typical rebuild tends to be new rings, new rods, new bearings, new seals and belts etc
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 11:24   #13
mylittletony
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan 244 View Post
Thanks..... you mention a conversion loom is this something you can just buy ...
I bought my loom from here: https://www.elbertbos.nl/index.php/e...ory_pathway-68
He's exceedingly helpful and it is a very high quality product (possibly better than factory), tweaked to my spec and made and shipped quickly. I couldn't recommend him highly enough!

Quote:
Thanks..... I think my Wentworth has the M90 in it?

I’m not sure about manual or auto, but probably slightly more swayed to auto as that’s probably what I prefer driving. When you say the ratios work out better how dose it cruse, in the 240 autos used to rev much more than the manual in top at 70, but I guess the extra gear helps.
My 940 is at ~2500rpm at 70. The 940s tend to have a very short 1st gear, the auto in my opinion has a better 1st - 2nd step, but still takes off briskly.
Once you're cruising, the box locks up in top so the torque converter loss is taken out of the equation
mylittletony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 01:16   #14
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittletony View Post
I bought my loom from here: https://www.elbertbos.nl/index.php/e...ory_pathway-68
He's exceedingly helpful and it is a very high quality product (possibly better than factory), tweaked to my spec and made and shipped quickly. I couldn't recommend him highly enough!

Ok thanks that sounds good, but my starting point I guess is different to yours as I am probably going to use the 1980 carb car, not fuel injected to start with, so I am assuming my conversion loom would need more bits that aren’t already there. What year car did you convert? Is there any pics of what you have done?

My 940 is at ~2500rpm at 70. The 940s tend to have a very short 1st gear, the auto in my opinion has a better 1st - 2nd step, but still takes off briskly.
Once you're cruising, the box locks up in top so the torque converter loss is taken out of the equation
Ok that sounds good, I think auto is definitely my route.
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 09:43   #15
mylittletony
Master Member

Hi

On the contrary, mine is a 1979 carb car. I spoke with Elbert a few times to confirm the connections would match with the car loom. It's in the process of being fitted, but the car isn't at home so I can't get any photos.

My suggestion, from my experience with the car and conversion, is to stick with manual if the car is manual.

The issue with cars that age is the speedo drive, I went to some length to chop an electronic speedo into my cluster so I could use a 5-speed M47 from an 86 car. I also had to swap the axle. I can provide some brief instructions if you do go ahead however.

I would suggest finding a 4+OD M46 (or pre-85 M47 5spd if you can) box with a speedo cable drive. I don't think any of the cars/gearboxes you have will give a speedo output and it's a chunk of work with hindsight. I don't know what auto boxes came with a speedo cable drive, but they would be early and therefore probably a bit **** compared to the AW71 in the 940

Other issues you might find with the earlier car are slam panel/radiator/intercooler compatability - you may have to make brackets where a later car is more plug and play.

Don't want to put you off, everything is achievable!

Quote:
Ok thanks that sounds good, but my starting point I guess is different to yours as I am probably going to use the 1980 carb car, not fuel injected to start with, so I am assuming my conversion loom would need more bits that aren’t already there. What year car did you convert? Is there any pics of what you have done?

Ok that sounds good, I think auto is definitely my route.
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 12:54   #16
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The front end is no issue with fitting the intercooler etc , my very first turbo conversion was to a early front speedy.

As to the speedo to run auto you want to be with the later AW box and I don't think they ever came with a cable drive. The old 3 speed BW35 did have cable drive but not going to servive turbo power. You can get a cable drive that runs off the prop or otherwise convert to later 240 dash and axle.

Elbert makes the looms I stock for info.
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 00:10   #17
dan 244
Master Member

...... my comments

On the contrary, mine is a 1979 carb car. I spoke with Elbert a few times to confirm the connections would match with the car loom. It's in the process of being fitted, but the car isn't at home so I can't get any photos.

Ok that sounds good, dose the kit replace all the wires under the bonnet or just add to what’s there. Some of the existing wires on the car I will probably use is rodent damaged where it was stored, so repair needed there!

My suggestion, from my experience with the car and conversion, is to stick with manual if the car is manual.

........The car I would prefer to use is manual, but the other is an auto. I have an later auto that I’m using for parts that I could get peddles etc to swap, what would be the issues with that?

The issue with cars that age is the speedo drive, I went to some length to chop an electronic speedo into my cluster so I could use a 5-speed M47 from an 86 car. I also had to swap the axle. I can provide some brief instructions if you do go ahead however.

I would suggest finding a 4+OD M46 (or pre-85 M47 5spd if you can) box with a speedo cable drive. I don't think any of the cars/gearboxes you have will give a speedo output and it's a chunk of work with hindsight. I don't know what auto boxes came with a speedo cable drive, but they would be early and therefore probably a bit **** compared to the AW71 in the 940

..........Must admit if going auto I would want the later box, so that would require a axel drive I guess, so any idea what years had cable and did any have electronic drive from the axel or how did you make yours work?
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 00:15   #18
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
The front end is no issue with fitting the intercooler etc , my very first turbo conversion was to a early front speedy.

As to the speedo to run auto you want to be with the later AW box and I don't think they ever came with a cable drive. The old 3 speed BW35 did have cable drive but not going to servive turbo power. You can get a cable drive that runs off the prop or otherwise convert to later 240 dash and axle.

Elbert makes the looms I stock for info.
Ok, do you know what years we’re cable from the prop. So was the later ones electronic off the axle, any idea of what years?
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 13:11   #19
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Non were cable from the prop. The drive using a sensor on the prop is a aftermarket solution.

The change from gearbox drive to electronic sensor is somewhere around 85 / 86 but I have not been doing much work on mid 80's 240's more older and later ones. I could be slightly off with that change over date.

The looms are just the engine wiring. The main car loom is separate. If the damage is localized to the engine bay then I would just repair that rather than doing a full car loom.

There is no reason not to convert manual to auto or the otherway around. As long as you have the donor parts it's no issue.
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 16:07   #20
mylittletony
Master Member

Yes the change was 85 I think.
I fitted the gearbox, axle and speedometer internals to my car.
To fit an electronic (85/86 onwards) instrument cluster to a pre 81 car requires changing the entire dash...

So, you can either stay manual and find a suitable box and prop to keep the cable speedo (which could be done later, the 4 speed would work in the interim)
Or go late auto and use an aftermarket speedo drive from the prop.
Or go late auto and fit a later axle and convert your speedo like I did