Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ceramic glass coating

Views : 725

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2018, 16:59   #1
tompip

Default Ceramic glass coating

Hi
Anyone heard of this? Is it for sale in the uk and is it something that can be done DIY?
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 17:55   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Assuming it is the same as the water clearance products around it is a pain in the backside to get off afterwards when you decide it doesn’t work for you.
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 18:48   #3
benr7310
Master Member

It is ineed a rain repellent, just one that lasts about a year or 2.

Look in to Gtechniq G5, youll likely need to apply g4 first.

Ceramic coatings are very good, especially for paint protection. But rain repellents do seem to be a love/hate thing.

If you want to try a really good rain repellent without the hassle of ceramic go woth H2go ( angelwax). Also worth joining the detailingworld forum and/or detailing central facebook group.

Ex-S40 Sport 2.0d with 180bhp & 300lbft
benr7310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 19:12   #4
mfresh
Nice person

I had Kenolon Ceramic Shield put on my other car a month or so back and it's great. Definitely keeps the car looking cleaner and shinier and generally fantastic, even in this rubbish weather we are having.

Supposedly it protects from minor scratches and bird lime attacks etc but I don't know how you would verify that.

http://www.cidlines.com/en-UK/kenolon-ceramic-shield-v1

Would recommend it but its pricey to have it applied professionally...
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 20:31   #5
NigelDay
Premier Member

Essential with any of these treatments is to ensure the bodywork is REALLY clean before application, otherwise the 'protection' will be applied to the smears and marks you are trying to prevent.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 23:55   #6
molsal

I have a 2 year ceramic coating on my car , and it does aid cleaning, I can remove far more dirt with a quick pass of my jet washer ,than when doing our pther car which has Bilt Hamber double speed wax applied.But they don't protect against scratches or poor washing teqnique, which is responsible for most minor scratches on bodywork. it just saves the hassle of constantly applying products to keep a high gloss look.Extensive paint preparation is the key with these coatings, that's why you should never pay a dealer to apply such coatings as they won't do the required prep work.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 18:06   #7
mfresh
Nice person

Yup, that's why I had a complete paint correction and detailing done before the ceramic was applied.