Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 Twin exhaust replacement - DIY job?

Views : 608

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2018, 18:46   #1
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Default XC70 Twin exhaust replacement - DIY job?

I thought the old 3.2, 6 cylinder engine was sounding a little more throaty than normal and then I spotted one of the exhaust back boxes was hanging off. Anyway, it's now been securely wired back into place having found the input pipe was badly corroded. It's stamped FoMoCo but despite that, it's lasted 10 years which probably isn't bad.

So, I'm going to check out the usual Volvo suppliers, as well as the fast fit centres for prices, but I was wondering if any one has DIY experience of replacing the rear section on a twin tail pipe setup? It looks OK but the pipe has to bend up and over the rear diff and the whole lot looks pretty weighty. I've only got standard ramps and axle stands but the XC has extra ride height so once it's off the ground there's a reasonable amount of clearance for working underneath. Any input is much appreciated.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 21:58   #2
1monkey600

Check out the fitting instructions for a towbar - it tells you all you need to know.

If it is the same as my FWD xc70 you need to cut the exhaust pipe and rejoin the rear boxes to the main pipe with a collar. This is standard method on the Ford Focus also.

Hardest part is cutting the pipe in the first place - I did mine with a sabre saw. Just make sure you don't punch into the floor. Once the pipe is cut removal / fitting of the exhaust is dead simple. On my Xc70 I can do it on the floor without lifting the car at all.
Andy
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 22:14   #3
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Thanks - good point re: towbar instructions. I did have a read of them a while back and it shows the exhaust needs to be cut and joined to fit the towbar. Interestingly, my car has a towbar but no sign of the exhaust having been modified (or not that I could see on a damp dark Sunday afternoon).
2001 V70 D5 - sold
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 22:35   #4
1monkey600

I'm sure there must be alternatives but the genuine volvo parts all seem to require the collars. Good news though (based on the prices shown here) you are at least able to change just the one box.
Attached Images
File Type: png image.png (139.0 KB, 26 views)
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 23:16   #5
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I think I'll have to change both backboxes. Partly as the other will be equally rusted, but also because it has the downward facing tailpipes which is the original design but it's got the later style bumper with the cut-outs so it really needs the straight pipe with the chrome / stainless trim to fill the holes. I've found one new O/S 'box on eBay but just need to track down matching one. I'm wondering if the D5 backboxes are interchangeable. My Mazda has same backbox for petrol and diesel models so I'm guessing it's possible it might be the same. Parts availability for diesel models is a lot easier.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 23:44   #6
4x4
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1monkey600 View Post
I'm sure there must be alternatives but the genuine volvo parts all seem to require the collars. Good news though (based on the prices shown here) you are at least able to change just the one box.
AT these prices I'd be speaking to my local stainless steel chap, he would do a complete exhaust for less than the two back boxes
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 10:13   #7
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I'd look at a bespoke stainless steel job. I've had this on other cars and they last for life. Many of the stainless exhaust franchises offer lifetime gaurantees if you have the system inspected annually. The only thing to remember is that when having the system fitted, tell the outfit exactly what you require, both in looks and sound. There is a habit at these places, probably because of the preponderence of boy racers who have stainless fitted, to assume that all customers want big bore tailpipes and too much noise! I had an extra resonator can fitted to a system that I had fitted to a previous car and it eliminated booming due to harmonic resonance and kept the system OEM quiet unless I really floored the pedal and then it gave a satisfying metallic rasp from the V6 engine. But you could ask for total OEM quietness.