Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Talk to me about dpf......bit late I know

Views : 1836

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 16:36   #11
andrewpain

was told that giving it loads of welly when pulling away squirts too much fuel into the cylinders and it turns to soot...but with smart engine management and injectors surely that's irrelevant?
I too drive in a nun-like manner to save money, and still used to hear the regen with my 2014 Leon TDi frequently. Like an RAF Nimrod trapped under the bonnet.
Can't say I've heard the volvo at all so far.....
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 17:32   #12
antman99
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Yeah I know I can claim the difference that 34p is hopefully going to pay for my car shame it’s only the first 10k after that 25p not 45

0.34*10000=3400
0.14*5000= 700
4100*3 nearly 12.5k pays my balloon (in theory at least) will never work .......

But I needed a way to convince myself I wasn't throwing away £££ every month...
You don’t actually get 12500 but you get tax relief on that amount so 20 or 40 percent depending on tax bracket.
antman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 17:53   #13
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

You aren’t getting anything extra from the taxman, what you get is the tax you have paid on the business mileage refunded - all you are getting back is your own money.
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 23:51   #14
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
You aren’t getting anything extra from the taxman, what you get is the tax you have paid on the business mileage refunded - all you are getting back is your own money.
Exactly it’s like a savings account you get back the amount you should have got as a discount against tax already paid
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 23:53   #15
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimble View Post
I have a D4.
Commute is 160miles round trip, a mixture of slow (stop/start) and fast (cruise set to 75) motorways (roadworks, dont get me started!)

Consistently get 45mpg and over. I think one of the biggest factors is the way the wind is blowing!

Never had an issue with the DPF.
A that’s mad! My old 100 mile round trip was bonkers daily...

M6? Joyous......

Would love to get eat over 45 mpg how??? If I set cruise over 70 average mpg on computer starts dropping 0.1s instant sits under 40.....
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 20:28   #16
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpain View Post
was told that giving it loads of welly when pulling away squirts too much fuel into the cylinders and it turns to soot...but with smart engine management and injectors surely that's irrelevant?
I too drive in a nun-like manner to save money, and still used to hear the regen with my 2014 Leon TDi frequently. Like an RAF Nimrod trapped under the bonnet.
Can't say I've heard the volvo at all so far.....
I used to hoon around in my euro 4 D5 quite a bit and found quite the opposite, the more you drive hard the better the engine run, when driving like a nun and getting amazing mpg after a few weeks the soot filter full message would come up then mpg drop by about 5 mpg until I started booting it again.

Also noticed customers who drive nuns like tend to have more egr and turbo issues, those who use the engines rarely get such problems....
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 20:44   #17
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
I used to hoon around in my euro 4 D5 quite a bit and found quite the opposite, the more you drive hard the better the engine run, when driving like a nun and getting amazing mpg after a few weeks the soot filter full message would come up then mpg drop by about 5 mpg until I started booting it again.

Also noticed customers who drive nuns like tend to have more egr and turbo issues, those who use the engines rarely get such problems....
Dealer told me the same.

What loss of mpg off sets costs further down the road....

I was happy until I read long runs at set rpm caused issues! The odd clod dropper does me and it good.

I thought dpf issues were short trips system not up to temp, idling for long periods in rush hour traffic, not drifting along at 60 and 1800-2000 rpm....

When I want to run high rpm I have other toys..... with an mpg that would make you weep!
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 21:32   #18
zork

Dont worry... Drive it your way...

Since I dont know what kind of D4 you have, we have 2 cases:

On the old generation engines with 5 cylinders Euro 5 and above there arent problems with DPF... But failing DPF sensors are a common fault... Replacing the sensor and forcing a regenaration should be all... So dont be late to service when the MIL light goes ON the dashboard... No EGR problems as far as I remember...

About new gen 4 cylinders VEA engines: no DPF isues as far as I remember but the EGR is badly designed so you most probably gonna visit the dealer sooner or later for a free upgrade to your EGR system, regardless of your driving style...

Till MILL goes on, enjoy your beautiful ride the best way you can....
zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 21:43   #19
HDAV
Master Member

New D4 4 pot
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 19:09   #20
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by zork View Post
Dont worry... Drive it your way...

Since I dont know what kind of D4 you have, we have 2 cases:

On the old generation engines with 5 cylinders Euro 5 and above there arent problems with DPF... But failing DPF sensors are a common fault... Replacing the sensor and forcing a regenaration should be all... So dont be late to service when the MIL light goes ON the dashboard... No EGR problems as far as I remember...

About new gen 4 cylinders VEA engines: no DPF isues as far as I remember but the EGR is badly designed so you most probably gonna visit the dealer sooner or later for a free upgrade to your EGR system, regardless of your driving style...

Till MILL goes on, enjoy your beautiful ride the best way you can....
Hi all - just joined and not a Volvo owner ...... yet!

Reason I'm here is currently own a LR Discovery Sport, the "DPF" design of which is so fundamentally flawed, diesel dilution of the engine oil is a real issue - such that the advertised, and utterly ludicrous, service intervals of 21k are a non-starter. So oil changes every 6k miles are the norm I'm afraid and along with a bunch of other issues I've had enough.

Currently considering a '17 D5 XC60 SE Lux (the sound of the 5 cylinder lump takes me back to my first 2.2 Audi 100!) or maybe going the whole hog for a new XC90 D5 (I don't like the internals of the new XC60, too cramped for me).

Question is whether with either of these I'd just be swapping one set of diesel related problems for another - mileage 15-17k a year, live out in the sticks so shortest journey for me normally 20 miles or so with a bunch of longer photography related trips thrown in.

Any views you could give hugely appreciated - you guys know the world of Volvo better than I!
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote