Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just been out

Views : 1149

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2016, 15:59   #1
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Default Just been out

Just been for my first proper drive out in the 60 lovely car to drive and I found out about the famous turning circle lmao. Comming out of a car park I know what people mean now, but car was impeccable and so pleasent to be in. Right enough with the test drives I needs to sort out a few niggles she has.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 16:09   #2
jamena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
Just been for my first proper drive out in the 60 lovely car to drive and I found out about the famous turning circle lmao. Comming out of a car park I know what people mean now, but car was impeccable and so pleasent to be in. Right enough with the test drives I needs to sort out a few niggles she has.
Hi you get used to the turning circle, it is minor to the lovely comfortable drive you get.
I have always said that the S60 is one of volvos best kept secrets,
James.
Old May 20th, 2016, 16:41   #3
jakechester

you want to try turning in a v70 with 18's on
jakechester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakechester For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2016, 17:04   #4
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamena View Post
Hi you get used to the turning circle, it is minor to the lovely comfortable drive you get.
I have always said that the S60 is one of volvos best kept secrets,
James.
James lovely drive never get bored of driving the s60 lol.

@ jack I can well imagine lol
Old May 20th, 2016, 17:20   #5
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

it's a very forgivable car.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xco For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2016, 17:22   #6
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xco View Post
it's a very forgivable car.
I went down to Plymouth Xco and got stuck in all that traffic on the way back I bet that road is going to be closed for hours poor man who ever he was getting hit by a truck
Old May 20th, 2016, 22:45   #7
xco
Premier Member

Yes K a horrible situation as well for the driver of the Truck who would of had first hand POV.

We were very nearly caught in the tail back at Lee Mill coming back from Plymouth having been to visit our daughter but managed to turn off at Lee Mill and take the back lanes.

Glad you enjoyed your run out down to Plymouth and you soon get used to the parking thing....the turning circle is not as bad as you first think you just have to bear in mind it's a bigger car than you've come from....a few more little manoeuvres is soon learned.

Enjoy...... Summers a' coming.
The Following User Says Thank You to xco For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2016, 23:08   #8
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Yes K a horrible situation as well for the driver of the Truck who would of had first hand POV.

We were very nearly caught in the tail back at Lee Mill coming back from Plymouth having been to visit our daughter but managed to turn off at Lee Mill and take the back lanes.

Glad you enjoyed your run out down to Plymouth and you soon get used to the parking thing....the turning circle is not as bad as you first think you just have to bear in mind it's a bigger car than you've come from....a few more little manoeuvres is soon learned.

Enjoy...... Summers a' coming.
Yes took an hour and a half just to clear ivybridge and bittaford police everywhere I skipped across the moors and back home via Newton abbot, and Xco there isint much in the size of the two cars the x40 is as big length ways and width as the 60. The classic s40 phase two is a long wheel base and very deceptive lol. It's nearly as big as a v70 even but it's nimble and you can chuck it round and push it a bit lol.

I've shot many a person down in flames about the size if the s40 classic phase 2 look at the stats Xco you will be shocked, I was when I first had it I parked next to a v70 in tesco's and there's only a few inches between the two.the phase one was slightly smaller but even that is quite big.

Last edited by kieran40; May 20th, 2016 at 23:15.
Old May 21st, 2016, 03:04   #9
xco
Premier Member

Yep I know what you mean size wise...you think of a C30 as being small in the range but there wasn't that much difference by sight to my V70 when they parked side by side in car park. (8 inches overall in length I think which is 4 inches front and rear ....that about bumper thickness both ends.....nothing)...The reason for the parking problems with the S60 and the V70 is the transverse engine as I understand it but I don't think that applies in your S40 does it?

Although my XC90 is 4 inches wider and 4 inches longer than my V70 was I can place it better in car parks and manoeuvre it through far tighter gaps than I would of been happy to do in the V70 or S60...plus you're higher up so your line of sight is better I guess?
The Following User Says Thank You to xco For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2016, 08:39   #10
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Yep I know what you mean size wise...you think of a C30 as being small in the range but there wasn't that much difference by sight to my V70 when they parked side by side in car park. (8 inches overall in length I think which is 4 inches front and rear ....that about bumper thickness both ends.....nothing)...The reason for the parking problems with the S60 and the V70 is the transverse engine as I understand it but I don't think that applies in your S40 does it?

Although my XC90 is 4 inches wider and 4 inches longer than my V70 was I can place it better in car parks and manoeuvre it through far tighter gaps than I would of been happy to do in the V70 or S60...plus you're higher up so your line of sight is better I guess?

Yep that helps mate I used to find parking the transit when I had it really easy to park and squeeze into gaps lol, the c30 when you see it up close is big it looks like a golf size on the road but it's much bigger than one. I think because the s40 classic is based on the Mitsubishi lancer that's one of the reasons you can throw it about a bit.