Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D3 2010 Radio problems

Views : 580

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2016, 17:05   #1
codders

Default V70 D3 2010 Radio problems

Not posted for a long time but have read a lot and thanks to all for all the valuable info on here. A change from the lovely old 2003 XC70 to a series 3 V70 D3 has prompted a posting.

Nice new car sat outside the house and setting up radio presets, seems fine. Drive out into the sticks - or anywhere for that matter, FM reception rubbish to the point of unusable. AM reception fine. Just done some more tests, drove out into the sticks with Radio 3 on, crap reception and static persists and changing stations prompts the "seek" function for a while and then settles on the least rubbish signal. Stop in lay-by and stop engine, 5 seconds later static goes away and reception fine and no longer "seeking" between stations. Start engine and drive off, rubbish reception again.

Ordered a Haynes manual to see if I can get the cargo bay trim out to get to the amplifier and aerial connections but am also taking it to the local Volvo dealer next week to have it interrogated to see if anything can be discovered.

I have read a lot about rubbish AM reception, not a problem with mine, but just wondered if anyone had had a similar FM problem, there is quite a lot on the web about radio problems on these but would love to get it fixed.

Thanks in anticipation.
codders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 19:32   #2
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Have you got a dashcam or phone charger plugged in? These can produce a lot of interference which will ruin a half decent radio signal.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 20:59   #3
codders

Thanks, interestingly I have a 12v usb adapter plugged in. I have just been outside and checked it again with the adapter out and it is better. I will have to do further tests tomorrow. I regularly use a sat nav so this would be a proper pain if just having something plugged into the 12v adapter ruins the radio reception. I shall report back.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 23:49   #4
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I think the quality of the USB adapter makes a big difference. The one on my dashcam makes the radio quite hissy while the one on my TomTom makes no interference at all.
Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 15:25   #5
codders

Hi Simon.

Right. Tests done and you were right. The Griffin twin USB adapter is the culprit, it nearly wipes out the fm radio when plugged in even with no lead in it. The TomTom original lead is ok and I can charge the phone with the centre console built in USB socket.

Placing the Griffin adapter in the rear centre console 12v socket or the cargo bay socket is even worse. I guess it is closer to the aerial.

It was no problem in the 03 XC70, it shows how well they were built. All the materials in this model feel so much lighter and thinner. The screening of both radio and cabling is obviously not up to keeping this nasty stuff out of the system. Thanks for your help, once again this forum comes to the rescue! We can now enjoy the trip down to Devon for a couple of days tomorrow!

Steve.
Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 20:32   #6
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I've experienced exactly same interference issues when going from P2 to P3 XC70. The aux socket is also very noisy when there is no input.
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 23:46   #7
Lorribot

Hit this problem as well and thinking I would have to replace all sorts of electronic bits. Instead I have just removed a recently added USB adapter (made up an order from Amazon) and reception went back to normal.
What was odd for me was that Radio 1 and a local station were unaffected but Radio 2, 3 and 4 were near unusable.

Still thanks for pointing out the blindingly obvious "what's changed recently".

Last edited by Lorribot; Jan 3rd, 2018 at 23:49.
Lorribot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lorribot For This Useful Post: