Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 - power tailgate sinks a few inches after opening

Views : 13847

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2023, 19:56   #41
Backinavolvo

I guess I will hear the bang at some point!

I will say that the failure is more age than wear. I was concerned coming from a manual boot opening that going electric would mean it would not cope with my extremely high usage. I am in and out my boot on average 10 times a day (at least 5 days a week) and they are currently still okay. A fair bit noisier than new though!
Old Dec 4th, 2023, 10:31   #42
Singo23

Hi all,
I have the dreaded boot issue now - and the head bruises to prove it

I've got a 2019 V60 with the 31690924 struts in.

Has anyone replaced with 32357571 yet?

Can't seem to find any others but concerned that, although I'm sure they'll fit, the car system won't be happy with them.

Cheers in advance.
Singo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2023, 15:10   #43
robtherunner

I might as well add my V60 2018 into the arena with everyone else. However, what I've encountered is that once the tailgate has opened to the full position it then POWERS down with some force to knock you out if you're unlucky to be in the way. If you try and force it back up, the motor seems to try and drive down.

To me it seems like the problem is to do with the shaft encoder sensor which is used to determine its position. I can't recall the exact programming procedure but it involves pressing and holding the "Tailgate" button for 5 seconds or something like that. This can be used to set the maximum height for your boot to open, say if you have a low ceiling in your garage. However all this is for nothing if the damn thing doesn't work!

So, like everyone else I'm hunting down a replacement as I'm very unhappy giving Volvo any more hard earned money for them to rip me off even more! I've been quoted £900 for the pair, as they don't know which one has "failed". It's pretty poor to be honest.

I'm armed with a number of part numbers and will see what I can muster. :-)
robtherunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2023, 09:46   #44
Number 6

Rtr, you are correct, attached link to Volvo manual.https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...0height&page=1

But i'm not sure how this is going to help people when the spring is all busted up.
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 14:20   #45
walric

Default Possible Replacement

Hi everyone

My 2019 V60 II Cross Country has developed this fault. The nearside strut has failed and all the previously described symptoms are present.

I contacted the dealer who has quoted £435 Inc VAT per strut and recommended both sides be replaced with a grand total of £1200 including labour.

Using the part number 31690924 I have found the possible replacement of Stabilus 447464 which is available from several outlets. Part checker etc says it fits and is a suitable replacement. Has anyone tried this and if so does it do the job?

The Stabilus strut comes out at under £210 each so is a bit more palatable

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/stabilus/21905197

https://www.stabilus.com/media/defau...nstruction.pdf

Cheers

Last edited by walric; Jan 22nd, 2024 at 14:25.
walric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 14:40   #46
bornmiddleaged
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walric View Post
Hi everyone

My 2019 V60 II Cross Country has developed this fault. The nearside strut has failed and all the previously described symptoms are present.

I contacted the dealer who has quoted £435 Inc VAT per strut and recommended both sides be replaced with a grand total of £1200 including labour.

Using the part number 31690924 I have found the possible replacement of Stabilus 447464 which is available from several outlets. Part checker etc says it fits and is a suitable replacement. Has anyone tried this and if so does it do the job?

The Stabilus strut comes out at under £210 each so is a bit more palatable

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/stabilus/21905197

https://www.stabilus.com/media/defau...nstruction.pdf

Cheers
I have mine booked in with an independent who I have used for some work before and who seem to be trusted locally.
The quote is just under £1k. They say that there will be some Vida work required to code in the new struts, is that something you can do yourself?
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 14:53   #47
walric

It’s not something I’d fancy doing myself so if there is any Vida work to do I’ll find someone to do it. I’m ok with spanners and screwdrivers but fumbling around in the ‘brain’ is probably not wise.

Are you getting genuine struts as a replacement?
walric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 14:58   #48
bornmiddleaged
:-)

Must confess I didn't double check if they are genuine Volvo parts but I'll ask them when it is done and can update in a few weeks time.
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 11:29   #49
SmartMAC

Easy enough to do yourself. I did it to mine cost of around 600 EUR. I have a small video to show where to connect everything. It is a very easy job with no coding required. Don't pay the dealers over 1K for this.

https://youtu.be/Vf8RJQ-9Wzg?si=qQrAfJkJZUL2NG6W
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 20:29   #50
JollyGeo

I'm amazed at how few of you (any of you?) have gone back to Volvo with this fault. There's obviously a manufacturing or design issue with these struts and a quick mention of consumer protection laws, fit for purpose, pre-existing, dangerous fault etc. etc. should have Volvo paying for most of, if not all of, the repair. If they'd refused my repair I would have taken them to the small claims court. Just because your car is out of the manufacturer's warranty doesn't mean you aren't entitled to have it repaired at Volvo's cost.
JollyGeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, sinks, struts, tailgate, v60