Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Performance!! lack of!!

Views : 4833

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 23:01   #1
foxyloxey

Default Performance!! lack of!!

I traded in a VW Jetta 2.0tdi SE for a V50 R-Design a few weeks back and I'm regretting it.
The performance/power of the V50 is pants compared to the Jetta. When I put my foot down in the Jetta it put me in my seat, the V50 is like a 1.6 petrol Golf I use to have, just picks up speed slowly. I have no confidence overtaking in this car.
The Jetta if needed, did the job at getting round people quick, V50 I would need to really give it a seconded thought, can it do it? very disappointed.
Is this your view of the 2D engine?
Towed at the weekend for the first time and I was embarrassed when going up hills holding everyone up. The Jetta, I could overtake going up hill towing if I wanted to.
Is there a problem with my car?
foxyloxey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 23:04   #2
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

never had a problem it does give a gentle push back in the seat for me once the turbo kicks in. never had a problem overtaking either.

but there so many variables involved it is difficult to say really.

What PS was the 2.0 Jetta?
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 23:56   #3
Bendolfc
Premier Member

To be honest had thought my 2.0D was a bit weedy, but then I don't normally boot it because I can't afford to with doing ~20K a year. Out of interest on my way home from Devon today, I decided to go through one of the services and stop on the exit, looked pretty flat and booted it, felt some torque steer (really wasn't expecting that from a diseasel) and according to the Torque app on my phone, 0-60 was 9.2 seconds which is slightly quicker than the book time.

Would suggest you give yours a boot and see what it does compared with what the book says. The Volvo is probably a little bit heavier than the Jetta?

Last edited by Bendolfc; Jul 23rd, 2012 at 23:58.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 11:53   #4
v40bart
Master Member

Mine forces me into the seat and ripples the tarmac behind the car as long as you accelerate when in sweet spot between 1200-2000 rpm. Below that it spools up somewhat slow.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 12:40   #5
foxyloxey

Thanks for that.
Mine ain't doing that at all.
The Jetta was 140PS, when I was on the motorway doing 70-80 if i put my foot down it easily pulled away, the V50 put your foot down to the floor and it slowly gets faster, you really don't feel the engine pulling.
Got the car from a main dealer so I reckon I'll be taking it back for it checking over.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 13:03   #6
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

mine pulls nice and briskly around the same PS level so very little power difference.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 13:58   #7
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyloxey View Post
I traded in a VW Jetta 2.0tdi SE for a V50 R-Design a few weeks back and I'm regretting it.
The performance/power of the V50 is pants compared to the Jetta. When I put my foot down in the Jetta it put me in my seat, the V50 is like a 1.6 petrol Golf I use to have, just picks up speed slowly. I have no confidence overtaking in this car.
The Jetta if needed, did the job at getting round people quick, V50 I would need to really give it a seconded thought, can it do it? very disappointed.
Is this your view of the 2D engine?
Towed at the weekend for the first time and I was embarrassed when going up hills holding everyone up. The Jetta, I could overtake going up hill towing if I wanted to.
Is there a problem with my car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyloxey View Post
Thanks for that.
Mine ain't doing that at all.
The Jetta was 140PS, when I was on the motorway doing 70-80 if i put my foot down it easily pulled away, the V50 put your foot down to the floor and it slowly gets faster, you really don't feel the engine pulling.
Got the car from a main dealer so I reckon I'll be taking it back for it checking over.
Is yours a 2D engine (1.6 diesel) as you've said above or is it a 2.0D (2.0 Diesel)??

If it is a 2D (1.6) then yes this engine is what I'd describe as no where near good enough for the car unless your a complete economy freak! Very much lacking in power and very sluggish on the acceleration.

If you do indeed have the 2.0D then this engine is very well suited to the car and does a very good job. I would say if you have this engine then there is something wrong with yours (slight split/leak in a boost hose or intercooler)??

What mileage and service history has your car got? Just wondering if the DPF and EOLYS fluid have been replaced at the correct time? If not you may have a resrtictive blockage in your exhaust system, although I'd expect a light on the dash and a message if this was the case.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 14:51   #8
jaygee
Avid Member

I love my 2.0d, very nippy. When I bought the car a few months back and took it for a test drive I was very surprised to find out it only had 136BHP. It felt like a lot more, probably down to the Torque of the diesel. Or it being chipped and I don't know about it!

I've never had a problem overtaking cars and certainly feel comfortable in a higher gear on the motorway to do an overtake.

Like Sony said, it's either the 2D or you have a duff 2.0d. If so, take it back to the dealer.

I don't think I'm gonna buy anything but a Volvo. Fallen in love......!
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 15:37   #9
foxyloxey

Thought the 2D was the 2.0ltr. Mine is a 2.0ltr diesel 40k mile on a 10 plate with full Volvo service history.
Sound like there is an issue then.
Booked it in at the dealers for checking out on Friday.
Just got the 0-60 app on my phone and going to try it later. Done it in my punto and was 0.2sec less than spec, so not far out.
I will give it a go in the V50 when my wife gets home.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 17:52   #10
850Chris
Premier Member

My mate has an S40 2.0D and noticed a gradual reduction in performance to the point where it felt like turbo no longer kicking in at all. Eventually traced back to a tiny split in one of the pipes (which from memory I think was one of the EGR pipes rather than a turbo boost pipe - he's on here somewhere so I'll chase him up to respond). Once fixed, made a massive difference. Doesn't have the relentless shove of a turbo petrol but certainly pushes you back in the seat between a certain rev range.

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lack of power, performance, poor, power, v50