Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Convertible as weekend car

Views : 885

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2018, 19:25   #1
Montana
Master Member

Default C70 Convertible as weekend car

Hi,

Dont know much about these , other than i have spotted a T5 and that perked my interest. Essentially i am looking for capable convertible weekend car, initially looking at E3/46s and the like (6 cyl obviously) as was thinking of the possibility of a multi use family/track/drift tool - although i have a modest budget of 1.5k so options are thin on the ground...

240 bhp / 5 cylinder / turbo is what got me interested - i understand they arent a massively capable drivers car (wallowy/scuttle shake) and they havent particularly aged that well -- however i am prepared to look past that for some 5 cyl turbo warble.

My opinion is currently based on a brief internet search - would like to hear from current owners what they are really like.

thanks

Previous: 2006 XC90 D5 , 2008 V50 2.0D
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 21:33   #2
Alpine

front wheel drive so no good as a drift/track tool, but I'm sure they could be cheap fun and are well made, reliable cars.
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 15:35   #3
Montana
Master Member

I have certainly strayed from my original spec when considering this one. Will be required to do a few nurburgring laps this summer too ... Am I expecting too much ?

Previous: 2006 XC90 D5 , 2008 V50 2.0D
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 20:37   #4
dcw
VOC Member

Really does depend what you want it for.

For obvious reasons we have had and then abandoned C70s as main cars in the past - that's two Mk1s and a Mk2. The Mark 2 is a much better car in all senses in my view - it doesn't shake anywhere near as much and is a much tighter drive (although it's no sports car even so).

I now have another Mk1 C70 Collection, which I bought in September as a fun sunshine car/project/ available second car when needed.

Yes, it shakes, rattles and wallows. Yes, with the 2.0T engine in it you need to give it some welly if you want it to accelerate from a start at anything like a rapid pace. Yes, it drinks fuel (mainly because it is so heavy). Yes, the boot is impractical (but better than the Mk2 with the roof down since at least you still have a boot...). Yes, it has the turning circle of your average oil tanker, and is a pig to park with the roof up due to poor visbility.

However, it is well put together, has no rust despite being 14 years old now, the 5 cylinder engine sounds lovely, it is extremely comfortable, it is great with the roof down, and it still looks - IMHO anyway - a stylish car. As you have probably gathered, with all its faults I really am very fond of it!

In summary, I would say if you want a nice weekend cruiser you can pick up a good one for peanuts with the C70. To get a bit more power, go for the T5 but still don't expect something that will keep up with a Typhoon! But if you want something that will give you primarily a good driving experience, especially if you have the sort of things in mind you say, then I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dcw For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 21:46   #5
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw View Post
Really does depend what you want it for.

For obvious reasons we have had and then abandoned C70s as main cars in the past - that's two Mk1s and a Mk2. The Mark 2 is a much better car in all senses in my view - it doesn't shake anywhere near as much and is a much tighter drive (although it's no sports car even so).

I now have another Mk1 C70 Collection, which I bought in September as a fun sunshine car/project/ available second car when needed.

Yes, it shakes, rattles and wallows. Yes, with the 2.0T engine in it you need to give it some welly if you want it to accelerate from a start at anything like a rapid pace. Yes, it drinks fuel (mainly because it is so heavy). Yes, the boot is impractical (but better than the Mk2 with the roof down since at least you still have a boot...). Yes, it has the turning circle of your average oil tanker, and is a pig to park with the roof up due to poor visbility.

However, it is well put together, has no rust despite being 14 years old now, the 5 cylinder engine sounds lovely, it is extremely comfortable, it is great with the roof down, and it still looks - IMHO anyway - a stylish car. As you have probably gathered, with all its faults I really am very fond of it!

In summary, I would say if you want a nice weekend cruiser you can pick up a good one for peanuts with the C70. To get a bit more power, go for the T5 but still don't expect something that will keep up with a Typhoon! But if you want something that will give you primarily a good driving experience, especially if you have the sort of things in mind you say, then I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

David
I agree with all of the above, although personally I like the Mk1 in every respect over the Mk2. Have totaly fallen in love with mine and everytime I fire it up the 5 pot burble is sufficient to justify owning it. An extremely comfortable luxo cruiser and lifts her skirts up as and when dropped down a gear and floored.
It definitely is not a track car tho'
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 06:33   #6
paulplom

I have a 2002 one in silver with 103k miles for sale. It's a manual with grey and blue leather. I would put 12 months m.o.t. on it for £1500.
paulplom is offline   Reply With Quote