Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cracks in tyres

Views : 4308

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:44   #41
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
5-year gtee ! ace ! and they fly airships - 2 great reasons to buy goodyear
Airships are the USA part of Goodyear, not sure on the 5 year guarantee whether that the USA or Japan company. Both separate these days.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 13:45   #42
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

minor cracks are not parting company. If in doubt, get it looked at by someone who knows his stuff, ie an mot tester. The opinions on here are just that, opinions, not qualified ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to volvoid For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2018, 14:16   #43
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
on inspection at Halfords the first words he said to me was they needed changing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
minor cracks are not parting company. If in doubt, get it looked at by someone who knows his stuff, ie an mot tester. The opinions on here are just that, opinions, not qualified ones.
He did!

What you say though is right, there are cracks and then there are cracks and the overall condition of the tyre has to be taken into consideration.

The cracks on Davids tyres were pretty bad IMHO and i wouldn't have trusted driving on them.

It depends where you draw the line between a major and a minor crack though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2018, 15:22   #44
volvo always
Premier Member

I may well change mine, as in the grand scheme of motoring £110 for a new pair of Avon ZV7's isn't a lot for safety and piece of mind.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2018, 16:21   #45
psl
Master Member

Just date checked mine.............. after all this time, mine are from 2013 so they can be forgiven. Still going to change them for like for like, as I like a matching set of tyres.
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psl For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 03:34   #46
manxdog

This is an entertaining thread isnt it? 😃
Seriously though, most of problems come from cheap/recycled rubber and fact that rubber and UV light dont mix.
If your not using any vehicle for a good while, jack it up and stick it on stands, blocks or whatever drop tyre pressures and cover tyres with something like a decent bin bag.
Sounds daft and maybe inconveniant but saves a hell of a lot of tyre.
While were talking about tyres etc, if you think your hard done to now, anyone ever had the jovial experiance of 80s russian tyres? There were a real treat, infinate mileage but at expense of any form of grip in the rain, slightly less bad in dry and sometimes you even got a round 1....
manxdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 07:25   #47
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxdog View Post
If your not using any vehicle for a good while, jack it up and stick it on stands, blocks or whatever drop tyre pressures and cover tyres with something like a decent bin bag.
Sounds daft and maybe inconveniant but saves a hell of a lot of tyre.
Good advice Ted but the problem here is that David (the OP) uses his car regularly, just not frequently.

Pretty similar to how i use mine but my tyres haven't gone like that. I'm hoping Goodyear put their hands up and sort him out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 11:38   #48
827Roverman
VOC Member

Wink Cracks in tyres, i have a result at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
In December 2015 I bought and had fitted at Halfords a new set of Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres, which are now cracking between the treads, due to family health issues my car does not get used very much, but nevertheless these tyres have not done 2000 miles yet, even though the car gets little use I don't think they should be cracking in this way, before trying to do battle with Halfords I have contacted Goodyear direct and I'm waiting for their reply, anyone else had this problem ? David.
Since my original post I have sent numerous emails to Halfords Auto Centre's head office sometimes 2 or 3 a week to try and get the issue of my cracked tyres resolved, it is just over 6 weeks since I had my cracked tyres replaced, I felt has though I was getting nowhere, so I started copying my emails to the Auto Centres chairman and his secretary in on them, I don't know if this threw any weight onto the situation but I have had a good result. my four cracked Goodyear Tyres are still with Goodyear for inspection and I await the result, my 4 Goodyear tyres cost £196.64 in December 2015, my replacement Bridgestone's cost £259.96 on May 18th, yesterday I finally got a result, Halfords Auto Centres have made me a FULL REFUND for my Bridgestone tyres as compensation, yes that's right a FULL REFUND on the Bridgestone's, plus a voucher for a FREE MOT (which I won't be using), SO all you others out there with newish defective tyres, take them back and press your complaint, a little perseverance could end up with a result.
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 11:48   #49
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Excellent result David! In a lot of ways, a better result than a straight refund for your original set of defective tyres - daresay someone will offer to buy that free MoT voucher off you as well!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 14:08   #50
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxdog View Post
While were talking about tyres etc, if you think your hard done to now, anyone ever had the jovial experiance of 80s russian tyres? There were a real treat, infinate mileage but at expense of any form of grip in the rain, slightly less bad in dry and sometimes you even got a round 1....
Totally agree, 'manxdog'. I once bought a year old 1973 Moskvich estate at 4k miles fitted with the original Russian cross-ply tyres. It was like riding a three-legged camel in wet sand. (Not that I've ever ridden a three legged camel in wet sand, but you get my meaning?!).

Obviously I didn't learn from my experience, as I later bought a six month old 1975 Wartburg fitted with the original East German 'Pnuemant' radials, which weren't a whole lot better either!

Those cars were cheap for a reason!

Regards, John.