Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No more diesel then

Views : 4274

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:12   #41
AB-UK
Premier Member

The trouble is the bean-counters take the amount of pollution from a bus and divide it by the nmber of passengers, and this usually shows less pollution per passenger journey than is produced by a car.

Magic for the authorities who then tax car owners accordingly, but it doesn't look at the overall picture, the reality concerning which vehicles actually produce the most pollution.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:19   #42
MaDProFF
Master Member

yeah most buses are empty out of rush hour
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:20   #43
Ringthane
VOC Member

Thank you all for your comments.

I will stick with the D4 as ordered. Who knows what will happen when I come to sell it; I might be able to afford a Tesla by then anyway .
Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:22   #44
MaDProFF
Master Member

Although the saving grace maybe for 2nd hand older diesel drivers is a scrappage schemes, has to be government though so you get discount and scrappage.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:26   #45
Converted

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
Why do people think servicing a diesel costs more?

From someone who does invoicing in a garage petrols Imo cost more to service, dpf is pretty much a non issue in a volvo especially if your buying new, glow plugs are very rare to change. You could argue they get thru tyres quicker, but since petrols are all turbo's now even that is a moot point, road tax is the same if your buying new.

Even doing only 8,000 a year i imagine the diesel would cost a lot less to run and service.

From my own experience, like for like cars petrols tend to use around 30% more fuel and that figure only increases as the car gets heavier.

If your buying today I would suggest buying the one you want, if you want diesel buy diesel, if you want petrol buy petrol! Many people who only drive petrol are quick to tell me how bad diesel is and the mpg is all lies, but most who have had both from a running cost pov seem to always prefer diesel that I've talked too.
This is really well said. The government sets the rules and regulations, so it's then up to us the consumers to decide what to buy. I personally just love diesels. I get more satisfaction driving a 2 litre turbo diesel than a standard 3 litre petrol because I get so much more effortless torque.

Petrol hybrids on the other hand should eventually be where we end up with I hope. i am not driving a fully electric car and getting stressed about where to find a charge point every two hours. I might as well catch public transport.
Converted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Converted For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:32   #46
Ringthane
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
Although the saving grace maybe for 2nd hand older diesel drivers is a scrappage schemes, has to be government though so you get discount and scrappage.
Mrs R has been banging on about an older Volvo driver scrappage scheme for ages.

Oh wait....
Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:35   #47
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Fuel efficiency is particularly important in the second-hand market so used Euro-6 ones may even become more desirable in future; who knows?
You can almost count on this. In all diesel vs. petrol discussions everyone talks about shrinking new diesel sales- but the fact is that the demand for USED diesels has been pretty much unchanged over the past few years (at least in mainland Europe, that is.. But I'm sure even in UK the used diesel sales haven't dropped by much..). When I cached in my old V60 (D5, EUR5..) it returned a roughly 20% higher price than an equivalent petrol V60 would have- and I live in Paris, where there's war on old diesels..
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 12:10   #48
Steve XC60
Structural member

Once it becomes economically viable and there are super fast charging points everywhere and the batteries last for ages and the battery cost has fallen and we have ways to generate the extra electricity that is needed that are less polluting per mile than current diesel and petrol engines, I suspect some bright spark will start a business retrofitting used diesel/petrol vehicles with an electric motor.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 12:40   #49
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Then everyone will be up in arms about electric vehicles increasing polution CO2 levels by charging up batteries and power stations having to work harder to provide all this extra power, so taxes will rise for electric vehicle.
Relax just buy a car you are happy with that suits your needs, live with it enjoy it and stop worrying, what will happen will happen,
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2018, 13:31   #50
Whippy
Premier Member

This'll upset the Islington set!

Air pollution plans to tackle wood burners - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44203396
Whippy is online now   Reply With Quote