Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Articles

Notices

200 Series Articles How to's and Guides for the 200 series.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sunroof Refurbishment

Views : 7864

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2011, 14:48   #1
mrkawasaki

Default Sunroof Refurbishment

No doubt covered here somewhere, can anyone point me to a thread regarding the refurbishment of an original steel sunroof (operation) - I'm guessing that there is some sort of ratchet system and cables within that are reluctant to engage and I'm nervous to open fully in case I cannot return it.

Is this a mechanic or home fix?
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 11:14   #2
Lucien
VOC Member

Hello, the attached pdf from an early 240 Volvo workshop manual (body section) may help with the general idea.

Kind regards
Lucien
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Volvo 240 sunroof repair.pdf (207.7 KB, 42 views)
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 21:31   #3
mrkawasaki

Thanks Lucien - that's a big step forward! Anyone else's sunroof a reluctant operator?
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 12:16   #4
ALLOA
Master Member

Hi! Mine was playing silly buggers a few months back. Remove the handle and then the two screws for the gearbox. Push vaseline in the hole where the gearbox was and move the sunroof backwards and forwards by hand. Keeping putting in more grease when you see anything that looks dry. Move the sun roof back to the closed position and refit the gearbox and handle. It only takes 10 mins to do.

Best of luck

Scott
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 16:09   #5
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Unhappy Yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkawasaki View Post
Thanks Lucien - that's a big step forward! Anyone else's sunroof a reluctant operator?
I daren't open SFSS's sunroof - when it closes the rear edge lies below the roofline at one corner or the other and it takes several attempts before it closes flush again, usually with me having to hold up the relevant side from inside the car while perching on the sill to inspect the closing.

It's on the list of jobs to tackle over the spring/summer, assuming that they are delivered this year.

Old Mar 31st, 2011, 13:24   #6
Lucien
VOC Member

Default Fixing a stuck sunroof

It's like lots of things on these old cars - lack of use causes problems. The mechanism itself is fairly robust and I think you'd be unlucky to have a permanently seized cable, but it could need some 'persuading' if it's not been used for a while.

My roof has stuck in the past. Here's what worked for me:
  • Crank the roof open a little bit if you can (but if you can't, just carry on with the next steps anyway).
  • Remove the winder handle and the little white cover-plate to the worm gear.
  • Remove the 2 screws holdings the gear mechanism (use a magntised screwdriver so you don't drop them). Apply a little silicon grease in to the gears
  • Now manually slide the sunroof back and forward several times to get things moving freely. I was surprised at how easily the roof moved using this method even when it felt locked-up when trying to operate it with the winder.
  • Smear a little grease onto the slider rail that the sunroof panel moves in.
  • Push the roof fully closed.
  • Reassemble the control parts, ensuring the gears are nicely meshed and that the gearbox is nicely snugged. Don't over tighten though.
  • Test the oepration of the roof using the handle, and check that the roof is lifting up properly when fully closed. It should be about 0.5mm lower than the roof line at the front and 0.5mm higher at the rear.
  • If the roof is not lifting up flush on closure, with the roof closed put some tension on the cables (by turning the sunroof handle anticlockwise and holding some force on it, but not excessive force) and at the same time give the rear corners of the sunroof a thump or two. They should pop up. Try several times.
  • If you can't 'persuade' the sunroof to flush up, then you'll have to go for manual adjustment and take everything apart as in the attched pdf (earlier post). I didn't have to do this, so I have no idea how to remove the headlining material from the underside of the moving roof panel.
  • Finally take off your winder and put it back on again pointing forwards so it folds away neatly.

Best of luck! Let us know how you get along.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 21:53   #7
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

I have asked for this to be copied into articles, as it has lots of great information/advice

Original thread here.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Apr 1st, 2011 at 00:23.