Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Standard Audio in the S/V90

Views : 10350

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 18:49   #1
S90
IT Guru

Default Standard Audio in the S/V90

So my Audi had Bose, a £700 option, with 14 speakers and a subwoofer.and 465w, it was ok but nothing special.

The Volvo standard system has 10 speakers, no sub and 330w and let me tell you, the difference is truly amazing. The Volvo standard system after a bit of tweaking blows the Bose out of the water. I was worried about not ordering the B&W system, but glad I didn't, the standard system sounds great and will only get better as it loosens up.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 19:01   #2
FE2015

Thanks for this. Maybe a silly question, but do Audi systems need a "loosening up"/run in time? Like engines?
FE2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 19:23   #3
S90
IT Guru

All speakers benefit and improve with use, some can require 100 hours of play to realise their full potential.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 20:00   #4
smj1873

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
So my Audi had Bose, a £700 option, with 14 speakers and a subwoofer.and 465w, it was ok but nothing special.

The Volvo standard system has 10 speakers, no sub and 330w and let me tell you, the difference is truly amazing. The Volvo standard system after a bit of tweaking blows the Bose out of the water. I was worried about not ordering the B&W system, but glad I didn't, the standard system sounds great and will only get better as it loosens up.
I hopefully pick up my V90 in a couple of weeks. Could you possibly put a pic up of the full EQ screen so I can have a look at what is there? One of my friends is an expert and I'm hoping he can set it up for optimal sound. I'd like to get him to work on researching the options and he wants a pic.
smj1873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 20:04   #5
S90
IT Guru

No pic, but you get bass/treble plus a 5 band equaliser with 3 presets and a custom mode you can set your self, plus L/R and F/R balance
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 23:38   #6
Jcbrown

I am no audiophile and have some hearing issues, but I do like my music - though my friends and family think most of it is "weird

My S90 has the "standard audio", and I think it is incredible.

I have had my local dealers demo S90 for a few weeks now, which does have the B&W upgrade and I have played around with it, so have had some opportunity to compare.

On my "standard system", putting some tracks on which have an emotional attachment to me for one reason or another, and cranking the volume up way too high almost had me in tears

Whilst there is no way I could personally justify £3K for the B&W system, I can understand why someone would opt for it. Listening to the same tracks on the B&W with Concert Hall mode engaged adds another level (I did shed a few tears).

However, put a talking book on (which I listen to a lot), or the traffic announcement cuts in, and Concert Hall makes it sound like they are talking from the bottom of a barrel

In my opinion: If you have the money, go for the B&W - it is amazing. If you are juggling options to keep the cost within a budget, I doubt you would be disappointed with the standard set up unless you have an exceptional hearing
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 00:36   #7
neon
Premier Member

Good advice.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 04:12   #8
Quacker
Premier Member

The way I look at it is that unless one keeps the car for ten years the b&w system is hardly worth it for mere mortals. For people who change the car every three years, the premium audio is going to cost them £1000 per year. It will be worth zero at trade-in and will cost that much irrespective of it being built into a lease cost. One has to be a SERIOUS audiophile to pish that amount a year against a virtual musical car 'wall'.
Even spread over ten years it costs £300 per year for the dubious pleasure of a slightly better sound quality within what is not an ideal environment for listening fidelity.

Each to their own though. If that is a priority and found to be worth it and affordable, why not!
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 08:01   #9
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post

I have standard audio and sub, and I agree, I rate it higher than the Bose I had in an a6 avant.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 08:02   #10
S90
IT Guru

Oddly, we don't get the option of the sub in the S/V90? Yet our European neighbours do, weird.