Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dash cams XC60 wiring

Views : 2936

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2018, 11:50   #1
Umox

Default Dash cams XC60 wiring

So I'm in the process of researching which dash cam to get.

I'd like front and rear but cannot decide on 2 independent front and rear or a dual camera system.

The front camera I'd like to hardwire to keep installation tidy and not use the socket.

The rear camera I was thinking of going into the 12v socket, is power to this socket constant or cuts with ignition?

What setup are you guys using if any?

Thanks
Umox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 12:02   #2
Rex65

Nextbase for me.
I've got them hard wired into both our cars.
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 12:30   #3
Mick787

Each to their own, I had a Nextbase, the battery had to be changed while under warranty. The new battery failed. Customer services said they had no record of their repair and as it was now out of warranty they wouldn’t help. Battery failure may not be an issue if you are going to leave it permanently running even when parked up and the car is not in use. Just thought I’d let you know of my experience. I’m not using a camera at the moment, my car insurance company doesn’t give me any discount if I use one.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 12:34   #4
alf27
Alf27

Rear socket (in boot) constantly live, I have the nextbase dual camera version hardwired on the front screen, fits behind the mirror so does not cause a MOT failure for obscuring the view. Used a piggy back fuse into the fusebox below the glove box. Only downside to position is when the passenger lowers the visor which blocks the rear view.

XC60 2008 Auto Grey
alf27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 18:54   #5
The Talking Donkey

Very surprised it's not factory fitted these days, Hyundai have been doing it for a while now even on the smaller cars.
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 18:55   #6
volvo for ever
Premier Member

i have 2 dash cams front and rear i hard wired one and used rear tunnel box 12v out let socket easy job once tunnel box lifted up only 6 t25 torx screws hold it on .

fitted nextbase 412 to wifes car today all on 40 minutes all wires hidden neat job
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 14:26   #7
Umox

Well I decided on the 412 on the front and 312 on rear. Have got the hardware kit as well so I can hide all cables. Which fuse did you tap into? One that works with ingnition. If it's a constant live does the unit screen always stay on? Hoping to fit tomorrow dependant on weather
Umox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 06:23   #8
volvo for ever
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umox View Post
Well I decided on the 412 on the front and 312 on rear. Have got the hardware kit as well so I can hide all cables. Which fuse did you tap into? One that works with ingnition. If it's a constant live does the unit screen always stay on? Hoping to fit tomorrow dependant on weather

i tapped into 12v socket wires under tunnel box the exact same way as you would fit parking cameras remove multiplug from 12 socket and tapp into it ...

regards
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 20:47   #9
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post
Each to their own, I had a Nextbase, the battery had to be changed while under warranty. The new battery failed. Customer services said they had no record of their repair and as it was now out of warranty they wouldn’t help. Battery failure may not be an issue if you are going to leave it permanently running even when parked up and the car is not in use. Just thought I’d let you know of my experience. I’m not using a camera at the moment, my car insurance company doesn’t give me any discount if I use one.
Hi,
Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes do offer discounts for the fitment of a HD dash cam.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2018, 20:52   #10
Wurzal

Default dash cam fitting

alf27

Which fuse did you piggy back onto below the glove box.

regards
Wurzal is offline   Reply With Quote