Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cognitive issues - help re Volvo

Views : 671

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2018, 15:04   #1
Tiger1057
VOC Member

Default Cognitive issues - help re Volvo

I had been a member of the Volvo Owners Club for 14 years up until three year ago. I wanted to change the car and had always wanted an XC60. Sadly despite two test drives it was not to be as my wife and daughter didn’t like the rear seating compared to our S60.
So I went and bought a totally different experience a 5 door Mini Cooper S and practically added everything apart from the sunroof and audio. An expensive purchase but the car is great fun. Sadly it is no longer fit for purpose as we have a new Labrador so space is at a premium to say the least.
Yesterday I walked around the Mercedes, BMW and Volvo dealerships whilst they were closed to see what was on the Market these days.
I now have some cognitive issues as a result of a brain haemorrhage (stroke) and cancer/chemotherapy treatment. This manifests itself as very poor short term memory and what I call reasoning and logic difficulty in other words I don’t effectively work through the thought process and often make decisions which are flawed!
I was drawn to the Mercs as the discounts at drive the deal etc are huge. BMW because they are a pleasure to drive and appear to be good quality materials wise. Volvo because I had one before and I really like the ride/Comfort/seats.
Nowwhilst the thought of huge discounts appeals I’m not really sure that is a good basis on which to purchase a car. The BMW X3 is too expensive once you add on a couple of packs and the 3 series touring doesn’t really do it for me until you are spending a fortune again.
On seeing a Volvo XC40 R design in a bronze/reddish colour I was smitten and decided ‘I want one’. The problem here is that as it is new with no discount it appears to be very expensive. Whilst I was there I saw a few low mileage old shape XC60’s around the £20k mark. I was really looking to get the next car on PCP or lease until the future direction of the car industry is sorted. I wasn’t really looking to actually own the car but £20k for an XC60 is very appealing. My problem is I don’t want to go into a dealers and get bamboozled without having fully thought the issue through. Hence I am looking for suggestions from the esteemed members of this forum. The XC40 would really be my car of choice but as it’s new with no real discounts it’s putting me off. I really do like the old XC60 but I have no idea of what the prices should be.
I would be very grateful if I could have some suggestions to help with my dilemma so I can move forward with some confidence.
TIA - Martin
Tiger1057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 15:14   #2
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

There are finance companies that will offer a PCP on a used vehicle, providing the vehicle fits their age, mileage and other criteria.

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 18:42   #3
St Evelyn
VOC Member

I've not had a proper look at the XC40, but someone in the disabled section decided against getting one as the boot was too small for his needs; not saying the space required for a dog is the same a mobility scooter or suchlike, but it may be worth checking you're happy with this specific aspect of the car before deciding.

Good luck with whatever you decide to get.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to St Evelyn For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2018, 21:13   #4
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

XC40 is nice but it's aimed at the iPad generation (if you like that sort of thing).

Don't forget about the XC70 - They're still bloody expensive given the age of the car though - £22,000 for this one. Absolute Tank.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=gl40lu&page=1

The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2018, 10:46   #5
Tiger1057
VOC Member

Well the XC40 is most definitely out. Whilst it rally appealed to me the price to my mind is dreadful.
I think I may go with an estate. So now down to the V90, 5 series or E class.
If only they still made that V70xc. I know there is the V90xc but I really liked the shape of the older one.
Thanks to everyone who replied.
Old May 16th, 2018, 11:13   #6
Whippy
Premier Member

Worth while looking at the current A6. As it's an outgoing model the discount is simply staggering. Spec one up on orange wheels to see what I mean.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2018, 14:15   #7
Tiger1057
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
Worth while looking at the current A6. As it's an outgoing model the discount is simply staggering. Spec one up on orange wheels to see what I mean.
Thank you for the heads up. Added to the list and planning on a dealership visit.
Will be interesting to compare them all as there are some good cars available at decent prices.
Old May 16th, 2018, 15:16   #8
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1057 View Post
Thank you for the heads up. Added to the list and planning on a dealership visit.
Will be interesting to compare them all as there are some good cars available at decent prices.
Tiger, you'll know this already, but, go in have a look, come back out and visit car wow, drive the deal, orange wheels etc. Then if you like to back to dealers armed with prices you know you can get. Bargain from a position of strength. Currently:
SE business edition
Metallic
2.0ltr diesel
Manual
£24887.00
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 19:54   #9
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1057 View Post
So now down to the V90, 5 series or E class.
I had an S80 for 4.5 years (sister car to V70) and loved it; January last year bought a 2 year old 520D - not a happy marriage. Got so frustrated with the car, dealer and BMW UK I ended up part-exing it last month for a pre-reg V90. The difference between the 2 cars is chalk and cheese! Appreciate you may be looking at a brand new 5er so a different generation to the one I had, but I personally wouldn't go back to BMW.

E-class on the other hand...mmmmmm, very nice! Biggest boot in the class and has a really nice feel to it. Not driven one or experienced dealers other than pre-sale (MB of Southampton were excellent in this regard). Biggest problem I had with all of the Mercedes range was that options are mostly only available in packs, with the basic pack containing panoramic sunroof. I was unable to fit in to any MB with a pano roof, which meant that I could only buy a base model. Whilst I have the same issue around headroom with Volvo (don't fit in either XC60 or V90 with pano roof), you can at least up the spec without being forced in to specifying the (in my case unwanted) pano roof. Gives you much greater flexibility on tailoring the options to precisely what you want / need.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to St Evelyn For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2018, 14:28   #10
XC70Virgin

The E Class is the best estate car on the road for room and as a complete package bar none. Only wifey wasn't too keen I'd my mind set on one before the XC70. Loads of them about too and MB seem to have got their mojo back after the shambles of the mid 90s and early to mid 2000s.
XC70Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC70Virgin For This Useful Post: