Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No more diesel then

Views : 4275

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2018, 22:45   #1
RiccardoPC

Default No more diesel then

Not a good news for us with a diesel Volvo then!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...th-the-new-s60

Interesting considereing that 70% of Volvo sales are diesel

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...changes-lineup
RiccardoPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 08:17   #2
chrisfr

Yup, it had to happen. It does not mean that diesels will be off the roads in the near future though. I live in rural france, and everyone and i mean everyone drives a diesel. Some people even run them on distilled vegetable corn oil! When they drive past you can smell fish and chips! I have to stop myself running indoors to get the vinegar and salt!
I have just bought a newish diesel xc60 and i am not too bothered about emissions being an issue during its lifetime. Due to dpfs and start stop the emissions are lower than most petrol cars at 149g per 100km. If you look at the same car with a d5 engine but 5 or 6 years older the emissions are near 200 g. So volvos have improved it, but there is a limit to how low they can go.
The one thing i like about france is there is no way some wacky politician is going to ban diesels as people would just strike or mob the streets. The politicians do just enough to comply with the greens, but not demonise something that basically the uk press has blown out of all proportion. Sales of diesels in france have not been affected as much as the uk. How a new efficient diesel with low emissions can be a bad thing for the environment when you get some deathtraps that chug past blowing black smoke and are still on the road, is beyond me. Maybe the new mots, french and english will take these off the roads. They are the real problem.
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisfr For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2018, 08:45   #3
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiccardoPC View Post
Not a good news for us with a diesel Volvo then!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...th-the-new-s60

Interesting considereing that 70% of Volvo sales are diesel

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...changes-lineup
Perhaps with fewer drive-trains to build they will become cheaper to buy?
(tongue firmly embedded in cheek)
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 08:54   #4
Quacker
Premier Member

I don’t understand Volvo’s logic. If they made hybrid diesel cars, they would be even more economical and lower emission.
I’m almost certainly never going to buy a large petrol-hybrid car. It’s just not going to happen. I'd buy a VW or other brand diesel-hybrid every time.

Really looking forward to long range all-electric cars though. 350 mile range plus rapid charging to 75%, and a sensible purchase price would convince me to buy.

The new Jaguar looks promising, although at a very premium price.
Old May 21st, 2018, 08:59   #5
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Good bit of free publicity. If sales are down expect them to be quietly brought back.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 09:06   #6
MaDProFF
Master Member

I think it is a good plan, and tbh Diesel's according to the motoring industry, 30% more likely to break down, cost far more now to service than petrol.

Drive a petrol well and you still get a very good return mpg
Ad Blue
Fuel going up and up
charged to go into towns
Tax Rates will go through the roof, including BIK
Cars were more expensive to buy originally, now they are not, but that will change again.

Although they may be clean now, what are some going to be like in 10 years time, like the current batch, although the MOT now should sort them out.

I see it atm you need to be doing 50k miles a year plus to warrant a derv.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaDProFF For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2018, 09:18   #7
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I think it is a good plan, and tbh Diesel's according to the motoring industry, 30% more likely to break down, cost far more now to service than petrol.

Drive a petrol well and you still get a very good return mpg
Ad Blue
Fuel going up and up
charged to go into towns
Tax Rates will go through the roof, including BIK
Cars were more expensive to buy originally, now they are not, but that will change again.

Although they may be clean now, what are some going to be like in 10 years time, like the current batch, although the MOT now should sort them out.

That may be true for a particular vehicle, probably a small light cheap hatchback, it certainly isn't true for bigger vehicles generally.

There's no doubt that far too many people have, of late, bought diesel cars that are not appropriate for their type of driving, and indeed their type of small lightweight car where, as you say, the running costs on petrol are far lower. A good proportion of, certainly second cars owned by townies, could and should be all electric now, like the Nissan Leaf.
Old May 21st, 2018, 10:21   #8
MOzS90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
Seriously? Spoken like a true townie who hasn’t got a clue 😉
Old May 21st, 2018, 12:37   #9
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOzS90 View Post
Seriously? Spoken like a true townie who hasn’t got a clue 😉

Yeah I live in the country side for a start.

I do approx 30k miles a year now which at one point was like 75k miles a year, year in year out.

My comments relate to everything about cost of running a Diesel, and calculated comments about how in the next few years Diesels will be penalised.

Of course dependant on what type of vehicle it is like for like petrol v diesel.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 13:01   #10
Waggatron

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...x’-nox-problem
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote