Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Instrument Panel Lights Failed. '92 940 2.0L

Views : 5763

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2019, 22:07   #21
Ian21401
Premier Member

Apologies trebor for not doing a final update.
There isn’t actually a final update as the cause was never definitively identified.
I left the jumper between pin 4 (light blue wire) and pin 6 (black wire) as this restored all the panel illumination at max. brightness. The dimmer slider did not then work but this was not a problem as I normally have them on max. The clock adjust forward button still didn’t work either. I learned to live with it and almost forgot about it.
In October ‘14 my speedometer stopped working but the odometer and trip meter were still working. My instrument panel/cluster is same as the image in post 16 by baggy798. After research on this forum I replaced the capacitors in the speedometer. When the instrument panel was refitted, somehow the clock adjust buttons were now working correctly but the dimmer slider still did not work so I left the jumper between 4 and 6 in place. The speedometer still had an intermittent fault so I acquired an identical instrument panel from a member of this forum and fitted that as it was received without any modification. I cannot remember, and my notes do not record it, but I must have removed the jumper from the panel light dimmer switch as my notes indicate that the panel lights, dimmer and clock adjust buttons now all worked correctly. This would seem to indicate that the cause of the original panel light, dimmer and clock adjust buttons problem was somewhere on the instrument panel.
In April’15 whilst investigating an ABS problem the replacement speedo. developed an intermittent fault. Following more research and advice I turned my attention back to my original speedo. Following that advice I cleaned the PCB underneath the screws by removing each screw in turn and cleaning with an abrasive fibre glass pencil then lubricating with “Contralube”. (Do not use abrasive paper or wire wool as loose particles may cause a short circuit on the PCB.) I refitted this original speedo. and instrument panel.
It has worked satisfactorily up to now and the panel lights, dimmer and clock adjust buttons continue to work satisfactorily.
I can only assume that the original problem with the panel lights etc. was caused by some fault within the PCB of the instrument panel and cleaning the contact areas has cured it.
All I can suggest is cleaning those PCB contact ares as I did. I wouldn’t bother with the speedo capacitors at this time unless you also have a speedo drop out problem.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; Dec 17th, 2019 at 22:21. Reason: Add text.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2019, 12:04   #22
trebor

Thanks for the write-up. I too have left the jumper in as a temporary fix. I've also got an intermitent speedo dropping-out problem so looks like I'll be taking the whole instrument panel out at some point and giving it a good going-over.
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trebor For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2019, 12:19   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
Thanks for the write-up. I too have left the jumper in as a temporary fix. I've also got an intermitent speedo dropping-out problem so looks like I'll be taking the whole instrument panel out at some point and giving it a good going-over.
It's well worth doing the cleaning as Ian describes and also the edgees of the PCB where the multiplugs connect to the instrument cluster. Also clean the connectors on the multiplugs and use a small thin tool (screwdriver or similar) to "restretch" the connectors in the plugs to a bow shape as they become flattened with age and lose their tension.

Just this alone can cure a lot of the simpler maladies the instrument clusters suffer from.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2019, 13:33   #24
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
I don’t know the year of your car.
Is it just the speedo. and are the odometers still working normally?
I’ve read elsewhere that around 1992 (give or take a year) the capacitors fitted to the Yazaki speedos. were poor quality and subject to leakage and damaging the PCB where they were located. That’s why I replaced mine. That may be the cause of your speedo. problem.
I’ll try to link my old speedo. post to this one as soon as I have time.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 23:44   #25
trebor

Hi,

I finally got a chance to take the instrument panel out today - but stupidly, I hadn't seen Ian's and Laird's most recent posts so I missed the point about cleaning and re-springing the edge connectors, which could be one of my issues (see below).

The PCB shows signs of previous repair: two different types of screw-heads were observed, and some excess flux from, presumably, resoldering efforts. I re-tightened all the conductive screws and cleaned various connection points (but I neglected to apply any lubricant).

I noticed that the resistors indicated on the PCB above lamp 14 measured open circuit. I didn't want to take the PCB off the rest of the instrument cluster to look further though.

The instrument brightness slider measured from 273 - 1.2k ohms from black to brown/green and 1.2k - 345 ohms from brown/green to white. I don't understand what the presence of the blue cable into the brightness adjuster module is for.

After doing all this, one area of illumination that was previously off lit up again; but an area that was previously lit has now gone dark! This is still with the jumper in place: there's no illumination at all without it. The speedo has been working during brief trips but it's too early to call.

At least by doing this I've learnt how to get the unit in and out of the car!

I might have another go next week, but other than that.... Has anyone got any recommendations for someone who will take in one of these instrument clusters for service/repair and return it in an at least approximately good-as-new condition?
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 00:50   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi,

I finally got a chance to take the instrument panel out today - but stupidly, I hadn't seen Ian's and Laird's most recent posts so I missed the point about cleaning and re-springing the edge connectors, which could be one of my issues (see below).

The PCB shows signs of previous repair: two different types of screw-heads were observed, and some excess flux from, presumably, resoldering efforts. I re-tightened all the conductive screws and cleaned various connection points (but I neglected to apply any lubricant).

I noticed that the resistors indicated on the PCB above lamp 14 measured open circuit. I didn't want to take the PCB off the rest of the instrument cluster to look further though.

The instrument brightness slider measured from 273 - 1.2k ohms from black to brown/green and 1.2k - 345 ohms from brown/green to white. I don't understand what the presence of the blue cable into the brightness adjuster module is for.

After doing all this, one area of illumination that was previously off lit up again; but an area that was previously lit has now gone dark! This is still with the jumper in place: there's no illumination at all without it. The speedo has been working during brief trips but it's too early to call.

At least by doing this I've learnt how to get the unit in and out of the car!

I might have another go next week, but other than that.... Has anyone got any recommendations for someone who will take in one of these instrument clusters for service/repair and return it in an at least approximately good-as-new condition?
If you go into your User Control Panel, click Edit Options and scroll down to Default Thread Subscription Mode, use the drop-down box to select "Instant email notification" when you post a new subject or reply to a thread, it will automatically subscribe you to that thread and when replies are recieved, you will get an email notification.

That way you will know there are replies to the thread/subject.

Back to the subject of the thread, i'd strongly suggest you do like Ian and i have advised, also i doubt those are resistors, i think they're probably diodes that only conduct one way - photos would help to clarify this.

Have a look at this, it explains the purpose of the third blue wire on the brightness slider :

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...ltage-divider/

The big problem with anyone testing and repairing one of these clusters is you need to find someone who can not only repair it but test it as well. You already have the very best test-bed available - you drive it!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 20:54   #27
trebor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If you go into your User Control Panel, click Edit Options and scroll down to Default Thread Subscription Mode, use the drop-down box to select "Instant email notification" when you post a new subject or reply to a thread, it will automatically subscribe you to that thread and when replies are recieved, you will get an email notification.

That way you will know there are replies to the thread/subject.

Back to the subject of the thread, i'd strongly suggest you do like Ian and i have advised, also i doubt those are resistors, i think they're probably diodes that only conduct one way - photos would help to clarify this.

Have a look at this, it explains the purpose of the third blue wire on the brightness slider :

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...ltage-divider/
Thanks for the tip, I hadn't realised email notifications weren't automatic.

I looked at the article but I'm still at a loss to understand why there are 4 wires connecting to the brightness adjuster. The diagram (Step 3) shows supply voltage coming in at the top (black wire), ground coming out of the bottom (white wire), and the output going out to the right (brown/green). So I'm afraid I still don't understand the mystery blue wire :/

The car's been in regular use over Christmas/New Year and I'm about to go away so won't have another opportunity to work on the dashboard for a while now :-(

Last edited by trebor; Jan 1st, 2020 at 21:42.
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 21:24   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I hadn't realised email notifications weren't automatic.

I looked at the article but I'm still at a loss to understand why there are 4 wires connecting to the brightness adjuster. The diagram (Step 3) shows supply voltage coming in at the top (white wire), ground coming out of the bottom (black wire), and the output going out to the right (brown/green). So I'm afraid I still don't understand the mystery blue wire :/

The car's been in regular use over Christmas/New Year and I'm about to go away so won't have another opportunity to work on the dashboard for a while now :-(
Any chance you can get a photo of this blue wire? I'm wondering if it's been added by a previous owner to maybe link out a bad connection or to feed an extra instrument or something.

Old Jan 1st, 2020, 21:41   #29
trebor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Any chance you can get a photo of this blue wire? I'm wondering if it's been added by a previous owner to maybe link out a bad connection or to feed an extra instrument or something.
I'll try and get a pic but it looks to definitely be factory fitted: it's got exactly the same crimp connector on the end of the blue wire as the other colours, there are 6 positions on the back of the adjuster module, the four coloured wires as mentioned and the remaining 2 which are blanked (I think for the digital clock adjust option, whereas my 940 has the rotary clock set knob which comes through the glass on the instrument panel itself). So it's clear that the adjuster is designed to have 4 inputs.

From what Ian said, it seems the brown/green output from the adjuster doesn't feed the lights directly - it goes into a small PCB on the back of the instrument panel which generates the actual current that feeds the lamps. For some reason which I don't understand, this is also fed back to the adjuster on the blue wire, which is why the link from blue to black provides 12V directly to the lamps, effectively bypassing the brightness adjustment circuit altogether. Have I got this right?

Last edited by trebor; Jan 1st, 2020 at 21:43.
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 21:58   #30
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I'll try and get a pic but it looks to definitely be factory fitted: it's got exactly the same crimp connector on the end of the blue wire as the other colours, there are 6 positions on the back of the adjuster module, the four coloured wires as mentioned and the remaining 2 which are blanked (I think for the digital clock adjust option, whereas my 940 has the rotary clock set knob which comes through the glass on the instrument panel itself). So it's clear that the adjuster is designed to have 4 inputs.

From what Ian said, it seems the brown/green output from the adjuster doesn't feed the lights directly - it goes into a small PCB on the back of the instrument panel which generates the actual current that feeds the lamps. For some reason which I don't understand, this is also fed back to the adjuster on the blue wire, which is why the link from blue to black provides 12V directly to the lamps, effectively bypassing the brightness adjustment circuit altogether. Have I got this right?
The blue is the earth for the dimmer illumination. Have a look at pg 38 (by document viewer number) of this pdf :

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...C842%2Cnull%5D

In other words, the blue has nothing to do with your problem so you can ignore it.

However, if i've understood you correctly, if you take theblack wire directly to earth, the instrument lights work?