Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70. Going to have free ETM clean/upgrade.Any need to worry?

Views : 1978

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2008, 16:42   #1
npb

Default C70. Going to have free ETM clean/upgrade.Any need to worry?

Hi guys.
Just bought a volvo c70 2002 2.0L with 42K on th clock.
I currently have no problem with the ETM, but rang up a volvo dealer (Stratstone in Aston, birm) regading general position with ETM problems, as it seems prominant by volvo owners.
They told me that its a problem, but I can bring mine in for a FREE ETM clean out and software upgrade which will take 1 1/2 hrs. I accepted the offer, but i'm wonerding if I should, as i do'nt have any problems with the ETM and have not got the ETS light flashing.
So a couple of Qs really, if some one can expertly advise.

1) Should I get it done, as prevention may be better than cure, even though I do'nt have the problem (or is the problem there, but invisible?)

2) What exactly consists of an ETM clean. What do they do exactly

3) What is the software upgrade and what does it actuall fix/prevent

4) Is it safe to do the software upgrade and what components will it affect

5) Will it improve car performance/fuel consumption/handling and if so, how can I tell/feel/see.

6) Does it take 1 1/2 hrs in reality and can they be trusted to do it right,
and may the clean/upgrade trigger the ETM issue later or other problems

7) Are Volvo 2.0L 2002 models less prone to ETM problem, or was it more prominant on older models.

8) Most of all, willl it save me from the dreaded ETM warning light and for how long? !!

Thanks to all, for expert advice
npb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 23:22   #2
DSK
C70 T5

1) up to you, my C70 has 120K on it and was running fine, Volvo informed during a service that the free ETM clean & update had not been done, as it was free and they had the car I said do it.

2) that information is contained within this ETM section, I'll try to find a direct link to the technical aspect (but IIRC they clean the tracks on the throttle module).

3) http://www.vexedvolvo.com

4) yes

5) no, everything like performance, economy stays the same.

6) yes

7) No, it something tha haunts all the 70 series models, some are more unlucky than others ...

8) No, its more preventative measure but does not eliminate the threat of the ETM failure.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Last edited by DSK; Mar 17th, 2008 at 23:31.
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 07:48   #3
ged1973

the etm isnt as bad as it sounds,even if it does go the price has droped now so dependent on model its about 250£-£350.
my own c70 99 2.4 non turbo was

labour £59
throttle housing £159.30
gasket £0.25
etm upg sware £0.50

total £219.05
vat £38.33
amount payable £257.38

they also said that the t5 was dearer because of where the throttle housing is positioned
i also know that some people have had this done free if they kick up anough fuss but i was just happy to have my car running right,as it was drinking the fuel when mine wasnt working
ged1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 19:00   #4
npb

thanks for info, guys. Had it done today, and all seems ok, so far.
I did phone a couple of other stratsone dealers and they were adamant that from their records my 2002 model would'nt be affected by the ETM issues, and said the Clean and upgrade was unnecessary. But my volvo garage insisted it would be affected (plus this forum was also of this opinion ), so I decided to be safe and get it done.
npb is offline   Reply With Quote