Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My turn!

Views : 1498

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 13:56   #1
john-sussex

Thumbs up My turn!

Well mine is at the dealers, Doves Horsham or what ever they call them selves now.
Seems mine has gone(etm) but the lad we spoke to knew nothing of the software and clean freebee, so expect a battle there!
Gone through the 'you don't know what you are talking about, lets hook it up to the computer!' route and so far have had a new MAF unit.
Had printed out the passage from Volvo's own website so we will see.
I know there has been alot of talk on here, but what would you guys surgest as my next move is?
Thanks in advance.
John
Volvo V70 XT auto
1999 with just over 100K on the clock
john-sussex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 14:26   #2
Chubs
Chubs

Default Let battle commence

Recently had problems with ETM failure - vehicle kept going into limp mode becoming more frequent. Vehicle is a 2000 2.4 V70 with 163,000 miles.
Contacted Volvo Uk direct and invited them to advise of current situation in light of small claims court action.

[Court : Horsham County Court - Claim Number : 6QZ59691 - Judge: District Judge Taylor - Claimant: Andrew Worthington - Defendant: Hapstead Gatwick - Claim: Case was based on the Sale of Goods Act 1989 - The Judgement: In summarizing the Judge stated that he was here to decide whether or not the ETM fitted to my car was fit for purpose under the sale of goods act as claimed as it was not sufficiently durable. In this matter he found in favour. He then stated that he also needed to determine if use of the vehicle had in this case contributed to the early failure of the part. Again he found in my favour]

I await Volvo's reply ( 31/12/07) Meanwhile I have booked the vehicle into my local Volvo agent - Stratstone's of Plymouth, advising them that with the help of this website the ETM is chief suspect and to ensure they have one in stock. There was no mention by them that this was "a fault".

Will update events as they unfold as it mat help others.
Chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 14:36   #3
john-sussex

That would be good. Mine was cleaned and updated. So far so good, but i do feel that i will be changing it sooner than later.
Thanks for the update.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 21:48   #4
wg53

Well I am about to join the ranks of those that have been afflicted by the ETM curse with my V70, 2.4 2001. Having read all the threads on this subject and having experienced the limp home more, I am of a mind to say to hell with the clean and software fix (as it will only be a temp cure and the fault may reoccur at any point after having the work done) and get the thing replaced at £250 (can I fit it myself and save some money!) once and for all.

Am I being sensible or wasting my money. BTW its the wifes car and the phone call when she experianced the fault was not good!

Regards

Richard
wg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 22:37   #5
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg53 View Post
Well I am about to join the ranks of those that have been afflicted by the ETM curse with my V70, 2.4 2001. Having read all the threads on this subject and having experienced the limp home more, I am of a mind to say to hell with the clean and software fix (as it will only be a temp cure and the fault may reoccur at any point after having the work done) and get the thing replaced at £250 (can I fit it myself and save some money!) once and for all.

Am I being sensible or wasting my money. BTW its the wifes car and the phone call when she experianced the fault was not good!

Regards

Richard
hi richard
you can fit it your self but you will have to tow the car to volvo to be hooked to the comp to activate it, i had a new one fitted for £250 the price of the part is the same at most volvo garages its the hourly rate thats different shop around . hope that helps,
mike
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 17:17   #6
wg53

Well I have has the news. It needs more than a clean and software fit (it has done 85K). Total cost is £321.00, inc VAT. Part£140 + VAT, labour £133 + vat. Labour charge is £98 per hour.

Best bit is that they are on back order! No d/f from the dealer yet!

Can it get any better?
wg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 19:08   #7
Terminator
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-sussex View Post
Well mine is at the dealers, Doves Horsham or what ever they call them selves now.
Seems mine has gone(etm) but the lad we spoke to knew nothing of the software and clean freebee, so expect a battle there!
Gone through the 'you don't know what you are talking about, lets hook it up to the computer!' route and so far have had a new MAF unit.
Had printed out the passage from Volvo's own website so we will see.
I know there has been alot of talk on here, but what would you guys surgest as my next move is?
Thanks in advance.
John
Volvo V70 XT auto
1999 with just over 100K on the clock
Doves Horsham did mine 4 months ago. You need to be assertive and remind them that Volvo UK will refund the labour charge providing your mileage is under 200k. Their mechanics are good, its the front line staff who are not so hot! The clean and software update does work providing the ETM is not too far gone. However it is likely that the problem will reocccur at which point you will need a new ETM. Thankfully, Marenelli, the original suppliers of this part and of Italian origin have gone fut so this part is now made by Bosch.

Last edited by Terminator; Oct 5th, 2008 at 19:12.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 19:26   #8
john-sussex

Question

well so far just had the clean-seems ok however the engine light comes on from time to time( as does the abs etc). Not had time to take it back yet and see what they surgest.