Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETM or another gremlin?

Views : 1735

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 14:14   #1
RaVolvoR
v70se170 - with toys!

Default ETM or another gremlin?

I've had my 2003 V70 2.4 170bhp for almost 2 years, I've posted before about the engine cutting out but i'm not 100% convinced its ETM issue. No useful error codes were found on car, its done 85000 miles. The car seems to drive OK except as described below.

Its cut out in the past but over the last summer/autumn (no problems for about 6 months) its been fine then 3 weeks ago it cut out twice in two days and y'day it cut out. Both times when slowing down. I notice that slwoing or going down hills, the revs drop below 500rpm before coming back up to 750rpm idle when stopped.

These times have all been in cold weather, outside temp reading less than 3 deg (ice warning light showing). My question, is there a temperature sensor involved in this ETM/ECU issue that could give this problem? I was quoted stupid amount for software/gasket/throttle clean (£150) when its now looking like a new ETM isn't going to be far off that price, although I may have to wait for the parts.

Should I bite the bullet and get ETM fixed, or is there any other obvious thing to check first?
RaVolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 14:27   #2
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

The ETM issue relates to your model, but only on cars upto 2002. Your car should be fitted with the revised version which does not suffer the same problems.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 14:45   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

But will still suffer carbon deposits and need cleaning of which this symptom is typical . If the engine runs at 500 rpm its generaly not getting enough air ....
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:56   #4
RaVolvoR
v70se170 - with toys!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
But will still suffer carbon deposits and need cleaning of which this symptom is typical . If the engine runs at 500 rpm its generaly not getting enough air ....
Ah... so can I use an off the self throttle cleaning spray to clean up the throttle, and simply buy a new gasket for re-fitting? If so is it advisable to disconnect the battery whilst doing this? I rebuilt my 940se turbo head whne the cam belt broke so I'm not completely inept!

Appreciate your feedback!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 19:01   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Always a good idea to disconnect the battery to avoid codes being set ..
Use an old toothbrush and some carb cleaner , the gasket shouldbe ok to use again .
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 20:39   #6
RaVolvoR
v70se170 - with toys!

Smile

OK, this sounds like a nice little project to whet my appetie for the P2V70.... so far i've stayed away from doing anything myself but it is January and needs must... I'll give it a go over the weekend (if it warms up!) and let you know!

Cheers & thanks for the advice.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 14:02   #7
RaVolvoR
v70se170 - with toys!

Thumbs up Throttle sorted Sat Nav/RTI died :(

Yesterday took the plunge and disconnected battery then took ETM unit off the car. It was filthy but it cleaned up with no effort using some Wynns Carburettor and throttle cleaning stuff (£6 for one aerosol from local motor bits corner shop).

Put it back together reconnected battery (nasty spark when connecting but I guess so much computer stuff etc there's no other way!). Went for test drive and what can I say, the whole car feels better. Not ah int of dying out when slowing down car drops to 750rpm but no lower!

So thanks very much to you all!

BUT..

the RTI/Sat nav system now won't read the DVD even thugh it was all working fine!... I'll post new thread!