Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hu605 din powered amp wiring questions.

Views : 597

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 16:44   #1
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Default Hu605 din powered amp wiring questions.

Hi all, after discovering that despite the SE only being about 4 months newer than the T4, how the stereo is wired up is radically different, with the T4 unplugging the din connector and fitting an aftermarket stereo leaves everything working fine apart from the rear factory fit subwoofer, whereas on the SE the front door speakers are also wired into it somehow, so with no din cable all I have is tweeters, slightly annoying I'm sure you'll agree.

I have got my head around what connector I need to use my aftermarket stereo work with the factory amp (a din that adapts to RCA which can then be fed off the stereos pre out, and a power cable) but what I'd like to know is whether it's possible to disconnect the factory sub (mines partially blown and farts at any decent volume) and instead feed my set of 6x9 speakers that currently reside in my other parcel shelf.

I'm aware that I can simply connect the 6x9s into the rear tweeter wiring as I did in both the orange one and the t4, but what with the sub nackered it seems a waste having the amp there, and potentially being able to give the 6x9s an amplified feed, if possible of course, does anyone know?

Many thanks in advance
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 19:16   #2
gatos
Premier Member

There are two types of subwoofer setups in the V40. One with a separate amplifier bolted next to the subwoofer and another system, where there is no separate amplifier, but instead it is built in the subwoofer.

I have no experience about the system with the built in amplifier and can't comment of how it works, but I can confirm with 100% certainty that the separate amplifier and subwoofer setup, definitely powers up the front speakers. In acutal fact, if you unplugged the DIN cable, nothing at all would work, except for the tweeters.

I also retrofitted the original genuine amplifier setup on my Volvo S40 and in order to get power to the front door speaners, I had to run the wires from the amplifier in the boot all the way to the B-Pillar connector. The female connector on the B-pillar was already prewired and tool the signal all the way to the A-Pillar and then the door speakers

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 20:05   #3
canis
Non Fragile

Trust me, there is no internal amplifier inside the subwoofer.

canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 20:15   #4
gatos
Premier Member

lol. Oh dear. You butchered the sub.....lol. Maybe that is the earlier type of sub. In that case, do you have an amplifier bolted exactly next to were the sub is?

Nullius in Verba
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 20:24   #5
canis
Non Fragile

Lol, it was an attempt to put one in the opposite side of the boot. It went horribly wrong and absolutely will not fit. The only hope, I think, would be to reverse the design and print one in a 3D printer out of ABS.

This particular speaker came from a 1999 Phase 1.5. It is identical in every way to the P1 in every way. Neither had a separate amplifier in the rear wing. Four wires connect to it, basically two speaker pairs. No power source at all. It's literally just parallel with the rear speakers.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 20:40   #6
gatos
Premier Member

Ahhhh, ok then. I have never taken a phase 1 or P1.5 V40 apart and that's why I have never seen this type of sub. Learned something new today..... I am a bit surprised that you have the problem of the rest of the speakers not working, as there is no amp at the back, so I am sure the front door speakers wiring would go straight from the stereo to the speakers and not wired all the way to the back and then the front.

Nullius in Verba
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 19:33   #7
clarkey1984
Premier Member

All sorted, ordered the necessary din adapter and RCA splitters and all working, turned it on and thought hmm why does it sound a bit average, and then I remembered that the door speakers are now pre out driven so better go in and change the sub out settings on the stereo and move the pre out volume up a bit from the -5 it was on, all pretty good now, just got to remember how to turn the low pass filter off and it'll be perfect.