Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1988 240GL Auto to manual swap

Views : 921

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2018, 19:55   #1
Vakito

Default 1988 240GL Auto to manual swap

Hi everyone, I've owned my 240GL automatic for over a year now and it's never let me down. However I do prefer manual cars, my other car is manual and I've been told that manual 240s are miles better than autos.

It never really bothered me until recently but I'm now starting to seriously consider switching my auto box for a manual, mainly because of the mechanical simplicity, increased speed and fuel economy. I've seen numerous forum posts explaining in detail what parts to get and how to go about doing it but I need some opinions.

First off should I ever consider doing this? Is it worth all the hassle when I've got a perfectly fine auto box in there already?

And secondly what gearbox would you recommend? M46 with overdrive or M47? I'm looking for reliability and fuel economy more than performance but which box is better for cruising in top gear?

Thanks
Peter
Vakito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 21:08   #2
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

I suspect that it will cost you more to do than youll ever save in petrol.
Simply buy a manual car ?
The Following User Says Thank You to volvoid For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 10:12   #3
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakito View Post

First off should I ever consider doing this? Is it worth all the hassle when I've got a perfectly fine auto box in there already?

And secondly what gearbox would you recommend? M46 with overdrive or M47? I'm looking for reliability and fuel economy more than performance but which box is better for cruising in top gear?

Thanks
Peter
Yes you should consider doing it. It'll completely change the car in a good way.

Is buying an electric whisk worth the hassle when you have a perfectly good hand whisk? Of course it is, because its better.

M47 all the way.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 11:36   #4
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

But is fitting an electric motor to a hand whisk worth the hassle when one can buy an electric whisk all done and ready to use?

I don't know the arithmetic of money and time and life involved in swapping the gearbox in the existing car compared to changing the entire car.

P.S. If the whisk is for egg whites, use a balloon whisk by hand in a copper bowl. Lots of elbow grease required. Cushti result. I have used the Tom Sawyer creosote the fence technique to delegate the effort upwards to management.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Jul 26th, 2018 at 11:38.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 14:02   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If you have a good solid 240 then yes it is worth it. If your 240 is getting rough around the edges spend your money on the body or a better car.

Done the swap both ways around many times.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 17:44   #6
Vakito

Thanks for the advice, I think just buying a manual car is off the cards, I'm the type of person who gets attached to cars and is hard to sell, especially considering all the work I have done on mine to get it to the condition it is in now although it was already in great condition when I bought it.

I've heard the differential ratio is different on manuals and autos. Would you recommend changing the diff too or leaving it be?

Peter
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 20:54   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I would just leave the diff ratio tbh
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 13:01   #8
Vakito

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Done the swap both ways around many times.
Just wondering which parts would you recommend I pull from another car and which parts should I buy brand new?

Also are there any unexpected things I should know about and any hints you have?

Thanks very much
Peter
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 19:22   #9
rusty244

Shout out for the auto from me. No troubles at all over the years in mine or my grandads cars with well over 200k between them.

The 240 auto boxes are a very reliable unit and depending on where you live with traffic levels on the increase there is a lot to be said for an automatic to do the work.

If most of your driving is free flowing and good roads I could see the appeal of a manual though.

Noticed there seems to be a trend recently for more and more new basic/family cars to be spec d with auto these days for some reason.
rusty244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 19:51   #10
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty244 View Post
Shout out for the auto from me. No troubles at all over the years in mine or my grandads cars with well over 200k between them.

The 240 auto boxes are a very reliable unit and depending on where you live with traffic levels on the increase there is a lot to be said for an automatic to do the work.

If most of your driving is free flowing and good roads I could see the appeal of a manual though.

Noticed there seems to be a trend recently for more and more new basic/family cars to be spec d with auto these days for some reason.
Auto boxes have their virtues. I had an auto 744. It did me proud. London driving only just outside the congestion zone but within the tube and general busy life zone. Towns and cities I had never been to before. All grades of roads around England and Wales. All when I was tired, overdue to look after myself. Sometimes when I was actually ill.

If the car happens to be auto, let the box do that bit of the work.

I drive a manual 240. It suits me. I do also speak up for the auto.

Each to their own and horses for courses.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: