Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brighter lights

Views : 1165

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 01:15   #1
MarkWilson

Default Brighter lights

My XC60 R-Design (MY16) has the "normal" (halogen?) headlights? Previously I've bought cars with Bi-Xenon (projector?) lights but the XC60 was ex-demo so I didn't get to choose my toys.

I've been searching these forums for options for upgrading the headlights (I live in the sticks and find them a bit dim) but I have to admit to being a bit confused by the terms being thrown around - H7 bulbs, HID conversions, etc.

Is there a simple way to change the bulbs in my XC60 for something brighter (I saw this article linked elsewhere https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/access...bs-to-buy-2018 but I was also a bit scared by some threads that suggest everything from MOT failure, error messages, to overloading the electrics and causing a fire!) or is it as the Volvo dealer told me - a 4 figure upgrade to some new lights (i.e. not economically viable). Also, would this void my (extended) warranty?

I am technical but only in the computer sense... I'm no electrician when it comes to cars...

TIA, Mark

Last edited by MarkWilson; Oct 23rd, 2018 at 01:25. Reason: Added more information
MarkWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 10:04   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

So far as I know, you cannot upgrade to Genuine Volvo Bi-Xenon as the headlamp type (and method of switching) is programmed into the CEM (central electronic module) at manufacture and is not changeable.

HID conversions can work okay on H7 lamps but they are not legal and should fail an MOT under the more recent rules. LED upgrades are mostly a disaster.

Your best option is upgraded bulbs - a number of lamps are available that produce more light at the same electrical power (55 watts) so no danger of overloads etc.

Popular with members on here are Osram Nighbreaker Unlimited and Phillips X-treme Vision, they are brighter and road legal but the downside is they have only 50% of the life of normal lamps, so a good idea to carry spares. As yours is a MY16 you will have separate DRL's so they wont be on all the time.

www.powerbulbs.com is a popular website with good reviews, e-bay is a bit of a lottery with counterfeit products.

You will find the above a noticeable improvement, I have the Osrams in my XC90.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Oct 23rd, 2018 at 10:07.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 14:02   #3
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

My v60 is standard H7 bulbs, and when I got them they werent the brightest and gave off a very yellow light, I used some upgraded bulbs Ring H7 (RW1377) they are 80w bulbs and give off a much whiter bright light, I've been really impressed with them about £17 a pair of ebay, they are a much closer match to the LED DRL's on my V60. Only downside is I don't think they'll last as long as standard bulbs, but I think thats the case a lot with the bulbs in volvo cars as the headlights are on all the time so it shortens the life of them compared to them in other cars. The first set lasted about 8/9 months, but I'm happy to replace them maybe a bit more often to get the better light.

I was going to do down the HID route but MOT testers are getting a lot tougher now and couldn't really be arsed swapping bulbs for the MOT every year. I also looked at LED bulbls but I think they can have overheating problems and can melt the housings etc, made worse on a volvo as they're on all the time, so I think the Ring bulbs are a good compromise, also passed an MOT with no issues
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scoobysn7x For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 15:02   #4
MarkWilson

Default Thanks for making it easy for me to understand :-)

Thank you both for your patience in creating those responses - really helpful information... I now have the confidence to upgrade my bulbs without fear of creating electrical problems :-)

And https://www.powerbulbs.com/vehicles/...eadlight-bulbs has been great for explaining to me what H7, H9 etc. mean! Plus, 25% discount with code TIME25 so a pair of Philips RacingVision H7s for £20.99 sounds like a bargain!

Last edited by MarkWilson; Oct 26th, 2018 at 15:22. Reason: More info
MarkWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkWilson For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 17:47   #5
andyg
S80 D3 Geartonic 2013

Default Also try raising the beam...

Mark,

My S80 also came with the standard H7 halogen bulbs and I had the same concerns about the weak dipped beam. So I fitted enhanced output H7 bulbs like yours and they certainly helped. The other problem is that the dipped beam on many cars is set low in the factory to take account of all road conditions. Normally you can raise the dipped beam quite a lot without getting flashed or having MOT problems by using the height adjusters in the engine compartment. (I am talking about raising the standard beam height, not the occasional adjustment you can do when fully loaded by using the thumb wheel adjuster by the driver's light switch.)

There are several threads on this forum that describe the general method - by shining the headlights at a wall or garage door a few feet away from the front of a level car and marking the existing dipped beam etc. I do not have an XC60, but a quick search on Swedspeed.com shows that the height adjuster on the XC60 is a little white nylon hex head above each headlight. You car manual should confirm that. In my experience definitely worth doing.

Andy
2000s: 1 x S60 diesel. 1 x S80 diesel.
2010s: 1 x S80 diesel.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 17:56   #6
Turnwood

Just as an aside, when I was driving home last night I was getting really badly dazzled in my mirrors by a range rover sport on dipped beams - the vertical adjustment was way off to the point that it was dangerous.

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 18:01   #7
andyg
S80 D3 Geartonic 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnwood View Post
Just as an aside, when I was driving home last night I was getting really badly dazzled in my mirrors by a range rover sport on dipped beams - the vertical adjustment was way off to the point that it was dangerous.
Fully agree you have to be careful and mindful of other road users. As a driver you can tell pretty quickly if your dipped beam is regularly going above the lower line of the rear window of vehicles that you are following. If Mark or others have any concerns then any garage with an MOT testing facility will do the same adjustment on their rig for just a few pounds, or for free if it is part of an MOT.
2000s: 1 x S60 diesel. 1 x S80 diesel.
2010s: 1 x S80 diesel.

Last edited by andyg; Oct 26th, 2018 at 18:07.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights, xc60, xenon