Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oh dear, wheelarch rust

Views : 5229

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 21:23   #1
Dude

Default Oh dear, wheelarch rust

Just found some rust bubbling up on the front offside wheelarch, 10 o'clock. Very very disappointed. XC60 D5, 59 plate, 70,000 miles. Not what I expect from any Volvo even if 9 years old. Not as bad, but just starting on nearside too, same position, 2 o'clock on n/s. Clearly a design fault, probably improperly sealed or perhaps a poor panel shape or join, coming out from underneath the wheelarch guard. Always been dealer serviced. Owned from new.

Anyone else seen similar?
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 11:00   #2
DT19
Master Member

My S60 isn't 6 years old yet and it has surface rust on some exposed areas in the engine bay. It previously lived in Aberdeen, maybe all that sea air isn't good after all
DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 15:10   #3
GMcL
0's and 1's

The 2011-18 S60 isn't the best for presentation. I previously had an 05 model year car which still had a clean engine bay when I sold it at 9 years old approaching 100k miles.

My 2011 year car looks like it's been through a few ditches when I lift the bonnet, the cross member under the radiator looks like it was welded by a group of 16 year old trainees.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 16:05   #4
DT19
Master Member

Ah yes, that weld, mine has it aswell. You'd think they could have made it without leaving that showing, I wonder why it's there.
DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 11:53   #5
Dude

Default Update

UPDATE

Well, after a long drawn out battle with Volvo (most of 2019 to date), we came to an arrangement and got the front wings replaced. Won't go into the details, suffice to say we won't be buying a Volvo/from that dealer again. The saga involved an alleged mouse attack. No, seriously. The corrosion will have started on the surface (at the very edge of the wing), so the anti-perforation warranty is of no value, according to one expert (outside of the dealer's).

Which however then posed the question what about the rears - which are a lot harder to replace? As if by magic I then spotted another car (exactly the same age and same colour as it happened) with a lot worse corrosion, including corrosion of the rear wheel arches. We quickly ran our car in to an approved body shop who have just reported that corrosion has indeed started at the rear, though fortunately it's early enough to stop it and stop it progressing - we want to keep the car a fair few years yet. So that's another chunk of money, which I rationalise by the new-car-would-be-more-expensive argument.

So, if you have one of these, or similar, get the wheel arch liners taken off, early, and inspect the edge of the wing lip, and take action as appropriate.

Whilst this is not an unusual problem with even modern cars, I do not expect it from a Volvo. How long has the industry been making cars, for Pete's sake? It's also why I bought an XC70 with full wing-edge protection.

Photos attached, of ours and the other one I saw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car 1 - 1.JPG (364.2 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg Car 2 - 2.jpg (122.5 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg Car 1 - 3.JPG (374.2 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Car 1 - 4.jpg (111.1 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Car 2 - 5.jpg (199.2 KB, 140 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Dude For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 13:16   #6
CC42

That's disappointing to see will have to keep a close eye on mine, only 4 years old though so hopefully I won't be in for any unpleasant surprises yet.
CC42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 15:19   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
UPDATE

Well, after a long drawn out battle with Volvo (most of 2019 to date), we came to an arrangement and got the front wings replaced. Won't go into the details, suffice to say we won't be buying a Volvo/from that dealer again. The saga involved an alleged mouse attack. No, seriously. The corrosion will have started on the surface (at the very edge of the wing), so the anti-perforation warranty is of no value, according to one expert (outside of the dealer's).

Which however then posed the question what about the rears - which are a lot harder to replace? As if by magic I then spotted another car (exactly the same age and same colour as it happened) with a lot worse corrosion, including corrosion of the rear wheel arches. We quickly ran our car in to an approved body shop who have just reported that corrosion has indeed started at the rear, though fortunately it's early enough to stop it and stop it progressing - we want to keep the car a fair few years yet. So that's another chunk of money, which I rationalise by the new-car-would-be-more-expensive argument.

So, if you have one of these, or similar, get the wheel arch liners taken off, early, and inspect the edge of the wing lip, and take action as appropriate.

Whilst this is not an unusual problem with even modern cars, I do not expect it from a Volvo. How long has the industry been making cars, for Pete's sake? It's also why I bought an XC70 with full wing-edge protection.

Photos attached, of ours and the other one I saw.
That is absolutely shocking , despite seeing dozens every day i have never ever seen this before or heard of anyone having this problem .. One thought are you 100% sure that the car has not been repaired with substandard parts ? It could have been repaired before you bought it or before it was delivered to keep costs down Volvo wings should be zinc plated and be embossed with VOLVO on the top .... Worth considering .. and also worth taking to volvos Technical Centre for their opinion ...

Take the arch liner off and see what kind of finish is on the back hidden from view
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 21:10   #8
nigellittleton

Default 2013 front wheel arches rusting

I have same problem front wheel arches rusting in same spot. Volvo said today that it must of had a repair so not 13 warranty. Car never had a crash. Has anyone else had this problem? Cheers. Nigel.
nigellittleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 21:30   #9
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigellittleton View Post
I have same problem front wheel arches rusting in same spot. Volvo said today that it must of had a repair so not 13 warranty. Car never had a crash. Has anyone else had this problem? Cheers. Nigel.
Most XC60s I looked at when I was buying (10 out of 12) had these front wing issues at 10 o'clock drivers side and 2 o'clock passenger side to some degree. Looks like the plastic liner rubs against the lip of the panel at that location and wears the paint and primer down to bare metal over time then corrosion can start. Clearly a design manufacture or assembly fault by Volvo. Seen too many with identical rubbing or corrosion in identical positions for this to be anything else.

Also when you take the liner off you may find a bunch of wet sludge retained at the bottom where the wing meets the sill. Again just crap design with no basic common sense applied to allow effective drainage.

Perhaps the advancement of the corrosion on a given car is a function of mileage and whether garaged or not.

If you have an XC60 ease the plastic liner away from the wing at this position and I bet you'll see at least evidence of rubbing if not some rust.

Last edited by RDesign4Life; Feb 3rd, 2023 at 21:33.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RDesign4Life For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 21:50   #10
Dude

I personally think all this is akin to the well-known phase Mercedes went through when the accountants were specifying the rust protection.

I've seen several XC60s locally with exactly the same problem, a 12 plate a neighbour has, some while back another the same age as my wife's, plus others. It's clearly a weak point on the mk 1 XC60. I've not yet seen it on other P3 cars, but haven't particularly been looking hard. And I've also seen older P2 cars last a whole lot longer before any rust starts, so they must have been (/were known to be) better built.

It's partly a problem of design, the plastic under-arch guards don't reach the edge of the wing, leaving a small gap of unprotected paint subject to the mercies of sand blasting by road grit, plus allowing water ingress to find any weak spot in the coatings. Then there is insufficient base metal protection beneath the now-universal water-based paints.

Many cars have this feature which is down to aesthetics and styling vs. the needs of rust prevention. Non-body-coloured plastic wheelarch guards are unsightly and style these days oftem supersedes function.

I repeat my original position that one should be able to expect better quality from Volvo. For such a known rust risk area, since cars grew wings a century ago, it should not be down to the owner to spot this happening early enough to get it rectified. It is also not entirely corrosion from outside, or maybe even any external corrosion at all? I have had sufficient older cars in my 50 years of motoring to know when a rust bubble is coming from underneath, and my wife's car was exactly that. I'm sure Volvo know it's a problem and that's why they try to duck responsibilty. Mercs when they started having this problem were inspected at each service (provided it was at a franchised garage) and if the dreaded rot had started they were pulled in by the dealers and corrected. I had an old P-reg E320 that went through this.

I note that more and more cars now are using body-coloured plastic arch protection.