Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Courtesy lights

Views : 1435

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 14:38   #11
deanrosc

Default RE: Courtesy lights

were you going past duxbury golf course along wigan road the other day? I was turning towards adlington and saw a volvo like yours.
deanrosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 16:21   #12
Billy Sasterd

If the courtesy lights were on it was definitely me lol!
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 23:08   #13
cootuk
Premier Member

I believe the microswitches are inside the door locks themselves.
Looking at the wiring diagrams they are all interconnected so how would they isolate the fault? Would they deliberately wire closed the other locks (to fake the door being closed) whilst leaving one open, closing that door and checking the lights going out...then do that for each lock?
cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 00:44   #14
Billy Sasterd

I think that is why they would not commit to a time to isolate which lock is at fault. Yet another example of carefully designed in faults!

Chris
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 11:33   #15
Billy Sasterd

Cootuk,

You are right about the switches. On Saturday, we disconnected the plug to each door in turn, but the lights remained on. The thought process then was that maybe the delay timer for the lights was stuck open.

After much ringing around, and checking on t'internet, we (wrongly as it happens)came to the conclusion that the fault was in the alarm control module as this is where the courtesy delay is?.

After some shouting and indignation again with the dealer, they agreed to look at the car again. I asked to speak with the technician to tell him what we had found and within a few minutes we found the problem!

BOTH door switches on the rear doors had failed. This was ascertained by opening each door in turn, and using a blunt screwdriver to 'close' the doorlock with the door still open. As you do this, each doorlight should go off, but both my rear doors remained open circuit.

I had a choice, leave the interior overhead lights switched off permanently and remove the bulbs from the rear doors to stop the battery drain, or have 2 new locks fitted at about £200 EACH. I thought long and hard about it (well at least 1 nanosecond) and decided to pull the bulbs out. Everthing OK now!

If anybody knows if it is posssible to repair/replace the switches, please let me know.

Thanks

Chris
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 21:50   #16
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Give the locks/switches a good squirt with penetrating oil/ WD40. Work the latch back and forth with the door handle operated as you have when testing.
This will usually free the door switches up, may take a while.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 22:18   #17
cootuk
Premier Member

The rear doors don't need a key, so why not try a scrapyard?
Obviously you can't guarantee the switches inside will work....

Or maybe alter the wiring so the rear doors are out of the system completely, or linked to the front doors, or something like that?
cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 23:40   #18
Billy Sasterd

Chris,

Funny you should say that. I read a thread on brickboards today saying the very same thing. They recommended removing the lock. Do you think it will work without removing them?

I stupidly told my local breaker today that Volvo wanted £200 each for a lock. He now thinks that asking 'only £50 each' is a bargain! If the door is included as well, it probably would be.

Gonna try the WD40 me thinks.

Chris
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 21:46   #19
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Nothing to loose, it works on my tailgate.

You need to get the fluid well inside the the lock to where the switch is and be persistant with moving the latch back and forth.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote