Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lower control arm

Views : 2334

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 14:14   #1
JimDay
Mad Murdoch

Default Lower control arm

Or track control arm mine has just failed MOT on excessive play in O/F lower ball joint. Am I right in saying the ball joint is all part of the lower arm, if yes does a ne arm come with the inner bushes already fitted I have found one on GSF for £49.50 but it does not say if the bushes are already fitted

Any advice greatfully accepted
Jim Day

1999 V70 2.5 T SE Auto "ME7" Caravan = 2003 Swift Charisma 550 4 Berth
JimDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 14:31   #2
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Jim

If you mean the wishbone, I am 99% sure that (whether from German and Swedish or anyone else) it comes complete with the ball joint and the inner two bushes.

Hope that helps.
Steve

PS
I replaced my own (1999 V70 ) recently. I used an after market brand which cost about £30 but the quality of the finish is not quite as good the original Volvo part that I took off (which in fact turned out not to need replacing after all). I would check out getting the part from Volvo if not too much more expensive. Fitting is straight forward. You should refit with new bolts.
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)

Last edited by SteveSarre; Oct 3rd, 2010 at 14:39. Reason: added info
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 14:39   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Having a ball!

Hi Jim

Yes, the lower ball joint is an integral part of the lower 'wishbone' control arm, and yes, you get the bushes ready mounted when you get a replacement. Ideally you'll need to get new mounting bolts too.

My V70 needed exactly the same repair last MoT time, and so I had both sides down at the same time. After having read up on here and in Haynes, I was all set to have a go and do this myself, but then the MoT garage pointed out that if they did the work my MoT re-test fee would be zero, and I'd get a 12-month warranty on their work.

I reckoned that the tracking would need to be checked after the new control arms were fitted, so that would have been another £25.

They also said that sometimes the old bolts can be a bu@@er to undo, and that with the car up in the air and with access to air tools the job would be best left to them.

The total bill for both arms, supplied and fitted, plus the tracking and MoT re-test was £210 inc VAT.

If I'd done the job myself, the bill would have around £65 per side for the parts (inc VAT), plus £25 for the tracking, plus the MoT re-test fee. Plus of course the hassle-factor!

I believe that all Classic 70's share the same wishbone, with the exception of diesel and plodmobiles.

It is possible to get polybushes for the inboard mountings, but this of course still leaves you with a wonky ball joint.

The only thing the garage didn't do was to grease the steering stops!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 14:55   #4
JimDay
Mad Murdoch

Thanks Steve & Jack I am not to bothered about doing the job myself as I am an ex mechanic so it holds no fear for me in that respect. just didn't know if the arm came with bushes, it's off to GSF tomorrow morning, I might even get the old one off today if it ever stops raining

Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 15:03   #5
IC
S60R/V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Hi Jim

Yes, the lower ball joint is an integral part of the lower 'wishbone' control arm, and yes, you get the bushes ready mounted when you get a replacement. Ideally you'll need to get new mounting bolts too.

My V70 needed exactly the same repair last MoT time, and so I had both sides down at the same time. After having read up on here and in Haynes, I was all set to have a go and do this myself, but then the MoT garage pointed out that if they did the work my MoT re-test fee would be zero, and I'd get a 12-month warranty on their work.

I reckoned that the tracking would need to be checked after the new control arms were fitted, so that would have been another £25.

They also said that sometimes the old bolts can be a bu@@er to undo, and that with the car up in the air and with access to air tools the job would be best left to them.

The total bill for both arms, supplied and fitted, plus the tracking and MoT re-test was £210 inc VAT.

If I'd done the job myself, the bill would have around £65 per side for the parts (inc VAT), plus £25 for the tracking, plus the MoT re-test fee. Plus of course the hassle-factor!

I believe that all Classic 70's share the same wishbone, with the exception of diesel and plodmobiles.

It is possible to get polybushes for the inboard mountings, but this of course still leaves you with a wonky ball joint.

The only thing the garage didn't do was to grease the steering stops!

Cheers

Jack
Hi the diesel (as you said) and R wishbones are different.

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IC For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 15:09   #6
IC
S60R/V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDay View Post
Thanks Steve & Jack I am not to bothered about doing the job myself as I am an ex mechanic so it holds no fear for me in that respect. just didn't know if the arm came with bushes, it's off to GSF tomorrow morning, I might even get the old one off today if it ever stops raining
Hi Jim, it might be worthwhile contacting John C as I'm sure that he had issues with wishbones on his 850 in the past. I would only fit Volvo wishbones myself as I think that it's false economy fitting pattern wishbones judging on what I've read from peoples' experiences on the forum.

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IC For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 19:13   #7
JimDay
Mad Murdoch

Well the car is on an axle stand now & the wishbone is off waiting for the new one

Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 19:20   #8
andycallaghan
VOC Member

Is wishbone bush failures common in V70s?

My 2004 V70 just had it's MOT.
Although not a failure, I was told one of the wishbone bushes was gone, and the other three were splitting.

I was charged £220 + VAT for all four to be replaced, plus £20 for tracking.
Guess this seems a fair price.
andycallaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 20:00   #9
gillsvolvov70

Ive replaced the wishbone recently, I brought one of *bay from a company in Germany I cant remember the price but it was cheap and a good quality part it came with the ball joint attached all the bushes and bolts.
If you need the company name I could do some digging and find it for you.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 20:30   #10
ShadeTek
Premier Member

My experience of Scantech control arms has not been good. The rubber bush can perish within 9 months. Check my photos.

This is after the correct procedure of having the weight of the car on the control arm and tightening the bolts up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scantech1.JPG (178.9 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg scantech2.JPG (111.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg scantech3.JPG (90.8 KB, 117 views)

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShadeTek For This Useful Post: