Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

August 15th 2004 for the record

Views : 1721

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 16:52   #11
adieu
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance BLACK V70 T5 View Post
But did VT make promises, I doubt it, just a claim which is a quite different to a promise. All VT have done is used published figures that were correct at the time of writting according to RICA.
I believe when I asked adam of VT I was told "yes you will get 300BHP", if thats not a statement/promise i don't know what isn't.

Ok so they have changed their website to include a disclaimer only after investigation by Trading Standards.

The figures they display on thier website may have indeed been true 10 years ago, but hey I thought Nat said they progressed as a company, surely a company with progression would update there information as soon as new CORRECT information came to hand.

In the case of the 304 upgrade with the new information available this should in fact read 265-290 bhp depending on age/wear of car.

But infact VT continue to show inacurate figures in their advertising, but with a small disclaimer.

Regards

Iain.

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 17:07   #12
pault5

Angry

well why don't you phone them for the infomation you want and stop slagging off vt.
this is getting pathetic!
we all know you have issues with vt!
phone them and get it sorted...PLEASE
thanks,
paul
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 17:14   #13
smartbomb
VOC Member

Quote:

In perspective Ive no doubt that a mint brand new 850 T5 would produce around 300BHP with a decent map, but wait a minute they stopped making them 10 years ago, most have done over 100k so surely 270-280 is more realistic.
That's exactly the point. If VT advertised it on their website as 270-280bhp instead of their vastly exaggerated 304 or 310 or whatever it is, I'm sure a lot of people would be less antagonistic towards them. Their adamant refusal to accept the fact that on this issue and several others (which we won't drag up again) that they made a mistake really does get poeple's backs up, mine included.

Paul
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 17:19   #14
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
I was never promised anything i didnt get
I would have been nice if i had recieved the same treatment.

However, your replies do seem to be opposing each other. on one hand your saying its allright to promise one thing and deliver something else, but on the other you are saying you should do what you promise claim?

which is it lance?
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 17:26   #15
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adieu View Post
I believe when I asked adam of VT I was told "yes you will get 300BHP", if thats not a statement/promise i don't know what isn't.

Ok so they have changed their website to include a disclaimer only after investigation by Trading Standards.

The figures they display on thier website may have indeed been true 10 years ago, but hey I thought Nat said they progressed as a company, surely a company with progression would update there information as soon as new CORRECT information came to hand.

In the case of the 304 upgrade with the new information available this should in fact read 265-290 bhp depending on age/wear of car.

But infact VT continue to show inacurate figures in their advertising, but with a small disclaimer.

Regards

Iain.
I was also told i would get the promised 304 bhp, but again its only verbal. however their website stated this along with other info.

plus at the time, the cronies on the forum (bit like now) would spit at any talk of the power claims not being reachable, i remember all the problems don had when as he does now, would state the real world figures.

And as ive said, ive seen inside my old chip and i can say that from what ive seen you will not get the claimed power.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 17:30   #16
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:

Just like an independent phone shop saying a nokia phone has 30 hrs talktime, it might only have 5 when its been used a bit!

a battery would have a lifespan lance, a ecu should remain constant....its the engine that fades over time....i agree with bobcat (this is very seldom) that v/t cannot continue to claim hp outputs based on figures obtained when the chip was designed all those years ago...the hp claims are misleading...joe bloggs reads the ad...304bhp on your 850 then thats what he expects...clearly if v/t were to say that this is based on ancient figures then the public interest would dwindle...this is clever marketing on there part and i would do the same in there shoes...
lance your origional post was clearly a v/t slanted pop at bobcat who in turn continually winds hamish up with the "i never got 304bhp" and the "its a chip you use" threads...
i appreciate there is personality issues here but all this spills over to the forum where it influences and deters members......
this is the crux of the matter and as far as i can see unless the mods adopt a more vpcuk attitude these types of threads are just going to keep coming and coming and serve no purpose other than to rake over old rubbish and bad feelings and ultimately serve no purpose or interest to anyone....
bobcat do you really think that if hamish said "yes i do rechip the ecu and no you will not be getting 304bhp out of your 10 year old 850" the fighting would stop....i doubt it....

incidentally....
i have a "304" rica and i have to say that i am extremley satisfied with it, i have always found v/t to be helpful and co-operative, i am in the process of testing at least 2 more products....

i think you can tell from this post that i sway in no direction on the tuning front..., rica has a good product, don has a good product, sw have a good product,,,why does it always have to be about who is the best...

cheers
jod
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 17:41   #17
Lance BLACK V70 T5

VT show figures from RICAS findings!
Car phone warehouse show batterylife from manuafacturers findings!
Volvo dealers show performance figures from head office findings!
Jaguar dealers show performance figures from there findings.
etc etc etc.
The list goes on but real world results are always going to differ from when a products developed theres to many factors that can effect results.
There always an exception to the rule at every end of the scale , Ive know cars perform better than standard out of the box but some perform a lot worse, theres to many factors hence the need for disclaimers!
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 17:43   #18
IC
S60R/V70R

Exclamation

Stop this bickering now!

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

Closed Thread