Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20" Wheels - excessive road noise

Views : 103011

Replies : 1289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2016, 22:51   #121
Flashie08

I've just posted a topic on the XC90 Support Forum about this to see if can be an answer:
http://support.volvocars.com/forum/t...=6353#post6353

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and experience. If I hadn't read this thread, I would have probably gone for the Inscription without even trying it on 20" wheels and ended up very disappointed. I'm sorry some of you have been our guinea pigs but I cross my fingers that those getting their cars in September will be posting about how their fears have not materialised.
Flashie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 00:05   #122
Trommel

D5 Inscription, air suspension, standard 20" wheels with Continentals - reporting the same. First longer journey today, and it really does spoil the car - if I'd got out and seen a set of mud terrains on it I wouldn't have been surprised. Most annoying is how it changes so obviously over different stretches of road surface - very surprised any are still delivered with the Continentals if they are the issue.

Last edited by Trommel; Aug 18th, 2016 at 00:07.
Trommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 07:41   #123
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trommel View Post
Most annoying is how it changes so obviously over different stretches of road surface - very surprised any are still delivered with the Continentals if they are the issue.
Indeed, if...
gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 08:26   #124
neon
Premier Member

This is becoming really frustrating as Volvo say nothing, dealer says they are not aware there is a problem, but still comments on forums about it still being a big issue. I am just about to spend £55k at a risk of being dissatisfied with the car. I think I need to go and test drive a MY17 inscription with 20" wheels and standard suspension.

Last edited by neon; Aug 18th, 2016 at 08:28.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 20:09   #125
Docs

Took Mrs D's C30 today to get new tyres fitted. I decided to fit Michelin Cross Climate after reading a lot of good things about them and taking advice from the tyre salesman who had only good things to say about them.
My own XC90 Momentum came with Michelin Latitude Sport 3's and I can honestly say I don't find the road noise an issue, even with some of the roads we have here in west Donegal which are really a bit of a disgrace.
I do find myself listening more to the changes in surface but I think that's because after reading all the posts re road noise you do become a bit paranoid.

Anyway I was discussing options with the owner of the tyre shop about winter tyres for my 90 and happen to mention about the issues people were having with the 20" Continentals and he says he has had a few Audi owners running on 20" changing their Continentals due to excessive road noise.
Could it be that tyre make is the issue not the car ?
I don't follow the thread that closely to see has anyone swapped out their Contis and still had excessive noise.
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 20:16   #126
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docs View Post
Took Mrs D's C30 today to get new tyres fitted. I decided to fit Michelin Cross Climate after reading a lot of good things about them and taking advice from the tyre salesman who had only good things to say about them.
My own XC90 Momentum came with Michelin Latitude Sport 3's and I can honestly say I don't find the road noise an issue, even with some of the roads we have here in west Donegal which are really a bit of a disgrace.
I do find myself listening more to the changes in surface but I think that's because after reading all the posts re road noise you do become a bit paranoid.

Anyway I was discussing options with the owner of the tyre shop about winter tyres for my 90 and happen to mention about the issues people were having with the 20" Continentals and he says he has had a few Audi owners running on 20" changing their Continentals due to excessive road noise.
Could it be that tyre make is the issue not the car ?
I don't follow the thread that closely to see has anyone swapped out their Contis and still had excessive noise.
I don't think I have seen any posts where someone has swapped the Continentals 20" and fed back their view. It is strange as I do not think I have seen many comments about road noise on Swede Speed, even though there must be a lot of cars on there with 20" wheels.
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 21:01   #127
basoom

I have recently drove my R design on standard 20" and Conti tyres in Northerland and Germany and the car was very quite even at high speeds and the road noise not being an issue at all.

Is the combination of Contis and UK roads proving lethal..
basoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 21:47   #128
Docs

Quote:
Originally Posted by basoom View Post
I have recently drove my R design on standard 20" and Conti tyres in Northerland and Germany and the car was very quite even at high speeds and the road noise not being an issue at all.

Is the combination of Contis and UK roads proving lethal..
How do you find them back home in the UK ?
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 22:39   #129
basoom

Noisy but acceptable. Our Xc60 in quitter.

I do remember testing inscription on 20" then ordered R design (was not available to test drive) and was expecting the road noise to be too much (it ticked all the other boxes to order) but came to a surprise when drove the R design (less than expected- same roads). Now I don't know if they are different in level of noises, I aged in the interim or there is bias. Having said that, couple of months ago I drove again the inscription on 20" whilst at the dealer and still found the road noise on the high side.
I have not drive one on 19"

Basoom
basoom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to basoom For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 22:39   #130
desiebear

I have put pirelli all seasons on my MY16 Inscription on 20's. After doing 1500miles on the in Ireland and the UK including many motorways miles, I cannot say there has been a significant improvement in road noise. Really does take away from the car.
I also noted that there is alot of road noise through the rear doors when the blinds are up, I don't know if others have noted this. It would be interesting to compare to cars without the integrated blinds.
desiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to desiebear For This Useful Post: